Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(4 of 4, in a series of rules questions I'm emailing to the creator)

The rules state (on page 5): "Any winter a 9 or higher is rolled, any region that does not have at least two empty spaces in a reservoir is flooded. Floods cause a region to lose 1 Farm, 1 City, or 3 Cash (their choice). Floods fill all reservoirs."

The rules also state (one page 6): "If a 9 or higher was rolled, any region that does not have at least two empty spaces in a reservoir must lose either 1 Farm, 1 City, or 3 Cash. Afterwards, all reservoirs get filled." (emphasis mine)

To simplify the discussion, let's introduce the term prepared. We say that a region is prepared if it has at least two empty reservoir spaces.

(One might ask, "What if I have two reservoirs with a single empty space in each? Am I prepared?" The answer is just move your water around so that your two empty spaces are in a single reservoir, and then the question is moot. Let's move on.)

(1) Suppose that CV is prepared and SoCal is not. We roll a 10. SoCal definitely loses a city/farm/cash, and CV definitely does not. SoCal's reservoirs are definitely filled. Are CV's reservoirs filled? The page-5 rules imply that they are not; the page-6 rules imply that they are.

My group plays by the rules implied on page 6: if a 9 or higher is rolled, everyone's reservoirs are filled, but only unprepared regions are forced to lose resources. This seems like what the rulebook intended, anyway.

Alfred, could you comment on #1? Is my group playing by the correct interpretation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Twu
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Arthur - Again you are correct. in that if a 9 or higher is rolled, everyone's reservoirs are filled, but only unprepared regions are forced to lose resources.

Floods are statewide, while actually being flooded is a regional condition.

You just need 2 spaces in reservoirs, doesn't have to be the same one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.