7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Making a board fold down smaller? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Iteki
msg tools
mbmb
I have a classic game (Escape from Colditz) with a board that is huuuuuuge! I would like to cut almost through the board on each side and re-tape so it becomes more smally foldable. Am I mad? Has anyone done this? Halp!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iteki wrote:
I have a classic game (Escape from Colditz) with a board that is huuuuuuge! I would like to cut almost through the board on each side and re-tape so it becomes more smally foldable. Am I mad? Has anyone done this? Halp!

I have made PnP boards for games using fabric tape to act as a hinge and it has worked very well. In all cases the hinge / tape has been on the back of the board so that when folded, the game surface is on the outside. I used to own EfC and I'm trying to remember if it's a single fold board? If so then you could slice half way down the centre fold, cut the two sections in half to give you a half size folding board and two half boards. Then re-attach the two halves hinged on the reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Iteki
msg tools
mbmb
Exactly! How have you cut the board? What sort of tape do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iteki wrote:
Exactly! How have you cut the board? What sort of tape do you use?

I use a craft knife, metal rule and a cutting mat. I find the secret is to cut through in stages, not to try to cut through in one go.

As for the tape, I bought some black cotton tape from a craft / haberdashery shop. You need something that doesn't stretch either in length or width. It also obviously needs to bend to form the hinge. My tape is about 3/4 inch wide (2 cms)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done something similar on some of my pnp projects so here are some things I have learned. I don't know the game you mentioned so I'm not sure what will work best but knowing what I've learned might help you.

I have cut and taped a typical matted board game(Stratego if your wondering). I used an exacto knife with a few passes and a soft cutting surface underneath to cut compleatly through. I used clear packing tape to reattach the sides. this part is important To tape together I closed the two sides (how they would look closed up when I was done) then taped the exposed spine. At this point they are attached but only on one side so fold it over and do the same to the other side. Don't tape the two sides together when flat, the hinge will be too ridged to fold.

I had one pnp that I had to print a large board for and all I has was standard printer paper so what I did was printed on cardstock and then put the sheets together and laminated them. I then used a utility knife to slash short dashes in the lamination to make folding lines. So if you have the ability to laminate you can cut the board and basically do the same thing as my first example but if you leave a small gap you laminate it flat and it will turn out fine.

My third example is what my friend did. It was on his first project he made a board with cardboard and where he wanted a crease he smashed the living daylights out of it with a metal bar and hammer. Not sure how his board image wasn't totally screwed up, I think its just that he started gentle, but the end product looked like a normal fold you'd have on monopoly or whatever, though the rest of the board was thicker than the retail game examples

Some other pointers that might help:
secure the board before you cut, don't rely on your off hand to hold the board secure. This also applies to when you apply tape.
use a clean sharp cutting tool
if your your blade through the board and it takes more than light effort, do a few passes, this usually means your fighting different material layers
Surface area grows when you fold something, take a look at a hard cover book with a cover if you don't get what I mean.
look up the terms "living hinge" and "scoring"

So if I understand your idea right it should work. Be careful cutting, don't apply pressure down just do multiple passes from the back then fold it in and tape the back. Open it up and tape it while its flat, that should be enough to keep it secure and the board will look as near to the original with having a minimum line, it will also only close one way.

Hope some of my experience proves useful to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Iteki
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for these great responses. You are maybe braver than me with regards to taking a blade straight to it! My attempts to cut through stuff before have been kinda rubbish, but I think the advice to really secure the item is very valuable! I will have to see if I dare, it's a pretty sweet vintage game, I think I might instead scan and print the board onto and make a "travel board" copy using the techniques you have described.

If anyone has the energy I would love to get a slightly clearer description of how you did the actual taping as I can't quite visualise it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, how do you plan to scan the board? Do you have a local print-shop that has the high-resolution scanning capabilities you would need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.