Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
I did some computer simulations on one billion matches of Red7 (advanced rules, no special actions) that people might be amused by. The goal is to get statistics on things like game length, typical number of available moves, and the importance of player order.

The post is unfortunately too long to copy here, but can be read at https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2015-03-30-monte-carlo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, thanks!

One heuristic to consider if you're trying to make the 'AI' more skilful would be preferentially choosing options that result in a card draw (and probably prioritising card draws gained from lower-value discards, as those will become impossible later in the hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is great stuff, Juho. thank you for posting.

we have been dealing 8 cards to the players and letting the players choose their starting palette. a benefit to this approach i hadn't previously considered is player order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you like the game at 2p?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Perry
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
I think if you're looking for maximum depth and player agency in Red 7, then two player is the only way to go.

In two player you can actually have a reasonable chance of trying to read and account for your opponent's hand.

Also in 2 player, folding at the right time - in order to deny your opponent points - becomes a very important and viable strategic option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.