Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I mod most of my dungeon crawlers, some quite heavily. Which is why my wife was impressed when I told her, "I actually feel no need to 'fix' this game. It may be perfect as is."

I use the same time saving tweak as some others; Don't roll for movement for anyone if it isn't necessary. The rat only needs to move one space, Filch only has to move three, etc.

But now with all the expansions, I wanted a way to play a campaign that allowed for extended character progression without the problem of Super Mice stomping all over everything.

I think I've found something that works for now. It's not been tested all the way through the three boxes, but I'll tweak it as I go.

The few changes are these:

-The cost of the Level Up free action is now "6 plus the number of ability cards the mouse already has." So buying your second is 7 cheese, your fourth is 9, etc.

-No mouse in the party may use the Level Up free action if that mouse has more ability cards than another mouse in the party. This rule frustrates Maginos no end.(I'm tempted at some point just to make a run through with Maginos and the HoG mouse by themselves. Just to see how much blowing up they can do.)

-At the end of a chapter, mice may pool cheese for level ups. That might already be in the rules. I'd have to check.

-After each campaign, one of two things happen, I'm not sure which yet, it's kinda being designed as I write this.

Either, each mouse may now retain one additional piece of equipment, or Each mouse may switch out an item of starting equipment for something they're carrying, or add an item to their starting equipment from their starting equipment. No mouse may have more than two pieces of starting equipment.

I think I like that one a little better. Means Nez actually gets some armor. Poor guy, walking around defended only by his muscles like that.
Filch could also start with two weapons that way.

Searching is still important for tricks, better equipment, plot stuff, etc.

As for difficulty, by Downwood, the mice are going to be pretty serious.

Collin's been about this for some time now. Might even have some cool looking scars.

So I think a good tweak might be moving the end marker down a page or two, eliminating standard encounters maybe. I don't know. I'm not there yet.

In the meantime however, I really like how the new levelling rules are working out and I'll report back after Heart of Glorm.

As a note, since most of my mice have their 3rd ability now, the new mouse in HoG will be getting all the level ups at first.

I'd be interested in any thoughts the rest of you might have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen F
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
But now with all the expansions, I wanted a way to play a campaign that allowed for extended character progression without the problem of Super Mice stomping all over everything.

I have the same desire as you (though still only have the base game ... so far!). I wanted more of a traditional RPG feel, where you're characters gradually getting better equipment, better abilities, but facing tougher battles. So I'm trying my own campaign variant, but only on Chapter 2 so far, so a little early to say how well it works ... some of the changes we're doing:

- To start, I removed 20 of the best search cards. Every chapter, I add 2 at random back into the deck. (Keeps them from getting too powerful early on, plus always something new to search for each chapter).

- I allow carrying forward whatever you can carry (but with removing the best equipment from the deck until later, it does limit how powerful that is). For this I count Tricks as taking space in your pack (so you can't just carry them all forward).

- When captured, no equipment is safe, but you only lose one piece (chosen at random - except you can't lose your only weapon).

- I just have level-ups costing a flat 9 cheese, but I like your 6+number of ability cards idea

- I'm also planning to add more minions to every encounter as we go to up the difficulty. Idea is Chapter 2 has one extra Roach, Chapter 3 an extra Rat Warrior, 4 an Elite rat, 5 an Elite Rat and a Roach, and so on - so by Chapter 11, I'll be adding 3 Elite Rats + a Roach. As I said, only on Chapter 2 so far, so we'll see how it goes ...

Pooling cheese at the end of the chapter is something we've always done (I don't believe it's an official rule ... but unless you're just making it in under the wire, you can always stick around for an extra round to trade cheese and do your level-ups). I'm also debating allowing carrying some cheese forward (either starting the chapter with it, or get it back at the end of the next chapter) just because of the increased cost for level-ups (you'd really hate to have 8 cheese at the end and just have to throw it all away ...).

Something else we've done, which has more to do with the fact that there's only 3 of us (playing with my two daughters), is we 'multi-classed'. Basically, we each picked two characters, one of which is the primary, the other is really just extra classes. So we can use abilities/equipment for either character, but only get the stats/special ability of the primary one. (This was one of the reasons I made level-ups more expensive).

We did this because we wanted to be able to each take a single character through the game, and didn't want to always have someone controlling an extra mouse. And by multi-classing, we're not missing any important skills (we always have a healer, a tinkerer, a mystic, a leader ...). Not sure if I'd stick with that if we were to start over again - it might be making them too powerful. On the other hand, we're doing each chapter with only 3 mice, so that really ups the difficulty ... so we'll see how it balances out. (Of course, this also means ignoring chapter rules on which mice must or can't be used).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I really like what you've done here, especially the progression of the search deck.

Your multiclassing idea is probably something I'll play with in a future playthrough.

Really nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen F
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes. So far, Chapter 1 starts pretty difficult (being a mouse short, and only start with the Starting Equipment for the primary mouse). The first attempt, we died in the Kitchen Tunnels. But the second attempt, with the help of some good searches early on, we made it through pretty easy (finished on Page 3 or 4).

Chapter 2 also started difficult with only two mice (neither of which can heal) trying to clear the first tiles. I'm adding the extra roach to Lily's tile, but as the healer (she multi-classed Tilda) and extra equipment from Chapter 1, she's been able to handle it (though it was close a couple times). Filch though had two wounds (one of them poison) by the time we reached the Crystal Caverns. And then a couple rounds of First aid to heal a wound ... take another wound ... so he's just barely been avoiding capture. But only 2 Rats left (and already had the surge), and only on Page 3 so I think we'll be fine.

How far have you gotten through on your campaign mode so far? By the way:

mournful wrote:
Either, each mouse may now retain one additional piece of equipment, or Each mouse may switch out an item of starting equipment for something they're carrying, or add an item to their starting equipment from their starting equipment. No mouse may have more than two pieces of starting equipment.

Just a comment on this one - we had tried a variant (suggested on this forum) to be able to use a level-up to add a piece of equipment to your starting equipment (instead of picking a new ability). It seemed to work well at first ... but by about Chapter 5 we had all the best equipment, and it was just too powerful. (Imagine Filch with Shifting Cloak, Ring of Cat Strength, and three Daggers ...). You almost felt like why bother to search anymore, and no possibility of getting any stronger for the rest of the game ... (aside from abilities, but that doesn't really make you stronger just more flexible).

That's largely what gave me the idea to pull the best items out at the beginning and slowly add them back in. Though I am still allowing carrying forward more equipment, but it can always be lost from capture.

Anyway, if you're limiting them to two pieces, that probably addresses that issue. Just thought I'd mention my experience with adding starting equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

-At the end of a chapter, mice may pool cheese for level ups. That might already be in the rules. I'd have to check.

I would assume that everyone already does this, but a lawyers reading of the rules would say that once you've won you can't level up, because you can only level up during your turn. So, if the victory condition is remove all minions from the final tile, you'd have to spend a round with at least 1 minion still around, grouping together your mice and pooling cheese so they can all level up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your cost of level up ramping idea. I like your other ideas as well, but that one really stood out to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
We play that the mice keep only their starting equipment from chapter to chapter, but that a level-up action can either give the mouse a new ability OR allow them to add one equipment card to their starting equipment. And each mouse has to be able to equip all of its starting equipment simultaneously, so adding one piece of equipment may require de-listing another piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.