Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a fair amount of Puerto Rico, and read a fair amount about it as well. It's known largely that their are two predominent strategies, or perhaps two predominent families of strategies: shipping and building.

My question is this. With the understanding that your strategy varies each game, and largely depends on starting plantations and what plantations get drawn every settler phase; and the understanding that no strategy is perfect, and can be undermined by a well executed strategy of another player, especially if that player can predict your moves based on your strategy... which do you prefer to play?

Just survey-curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I prefer a combined strategy and mainly build during the first half, mainly shipping during the second half of the game. However this order also depends on what is going on around me. All in all the balance probably tips in favour of building for me (usually with diverse production in mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the shipping strategy, if the first few rounds permits this. The first few rounds are the crunch, how much gold, plantations, buildings etc you have collected. That for me is the clincher with PR the fact that there seems to be no set strategy that "works" The expansion adds even more IMHO, I'd love to see another provided it keeps good game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with fellonmyhead. I am a builder, mainly because I can never get the shipping one to work for me. If I start with corn, I get the small market first, if I can, and work it like it was indigo. If not, well then its some fast thinking on my part. Its all about building for the first half and shipping the second. About the 5th building I like to have a harbor or factory or both on my 5th and 6th building. If those are taken, then its the large market and shoot for the greens early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what player I am. If I'm first I'll be more into building, if I'm last I'll be more into shipping. If I'm second I'll probably have to do some of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend toward getting lots of cash and building a lot while trying to ship at least the average amount compared to the other players. I'm also always looking for ways to make the other players lose goods in the shipping phase to help balance out our shipping rates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't tend to have a long-term strategy in mind when I begin a game of Puerto Rico, but rather let it be shaped by where the tactical decisions of the early game have gotten me plus what everyone else is doing.

As the old cliche goes: the early game is about generating income; I think the important strategic decision is what to do with your first surge of money in the early midgame- spend on buildings that generate more income or go for buildings that generate VP? One's early midgame building decisions usually determine one's strategy. The best strategy to choose will depend in great part on what the current situation is on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
logopolys wrote:
My question is this. With the understanding that your strategy varies each game, and largely depends on starting plantations and what plantations get drawn every settler phase; and the understanding that no strategy is perfect, and can be undermined by a well executed strategy of another player, especially if that player can predict your moves based on your strategy... which do you prefer to play?

Just survey-curious.

That's an incredibly tough call. I'd say I try and play a vareity of strategies and try and play according to what I feel is my best option. Obviously, if I grab 3 early corn, I'm going to do a lot of shipping - particularly if the other players get a slow start.

I think I like building a little more (particularly in a small game) but I always try and keep my strategy highly flexible. You HAVE to in Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.