Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started trying to paint miniatures. I (foolishly) began with the base heroes from Myth. I sprayed them with primer and left them to dry, but was unaware what a high humidity environment would do to them.

I have tried contacting MERCS about replacements several times, and my emails appear to be simply ignored. I've had no success looking up BGG users with parts. Has anyone had success replacing any miniatures? Or can anyone suggest a remedy for my now fuzzy heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This ought to save you some grief.

If that doesn't work, keep trying Nikki at mercs@mercsminis.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in MCG's defense, they were just running a massively successful KS campaign that ended less than 24 hours ago. So they were quite busy and I doubt were able to respond to emails as much as they normally would have been able to.

That being said, I'm not too familiar with what you're talking about - they're fuzzy from the humidity? Have you tried soaking the model for several hours in Simple Green? Afterwards you can use a toothbrush to remove the paint and restore the model back to its original unpainted form.

You could also try dipping them in acetone and then scrubbing them off, but don't soak them as it will eat through the plastic pretty quickly.

I think your best bet would be Simple Green. It's biodegradable and won't harm the plastic (I left my Terror With 1000 Legs in a bowl of the stuff for a couple days and it was fine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used PineSol with Lemon with great success in getting paint off of minis. It's worked on Mantic's Restic, Reaper Bones and an old Jurassic park mini I had lying around.

You just soak the mini overnight and using some warm water and a old toothbrush you can just brush the paint off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for Simple Greens amazing paint removing capabilities. Throw some in a baby food jar or another container big enough for the minis and check on it in eight hour or so time frames. The a soft toothbrush will remove any excess. Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it can get expensive though. Although I snagged an industrial 2.5 gallon box of concentrated Simple Green from Home Depot. It will make up to like 40 gallons or something.

I found that if the proper ratio isn't getting the paint off, I can just add a little bit of concentrate at a time until it's potent enough to get it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
I've found it can get expensive though. Although I snagged an industrial 2.5 gallon box of concentrated Simple Green from Home Depot. It will make up to like 40 gallons or something.

I found that if the proper ratio isn't getting the paint off, I can just add a little bit of concentrate at a time until it's potent enough to get it off.

I use it straight from the bottle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.