Android: Netrunner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: One Man's Trash rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Dorrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This session of android: netrunner marks my first ever loss as the corporation. I lost to one poor choice, when scoring an agenda. To top if off, the runner had never played before. Needless to say, I was a bit salty.

Both decks were of my design. The runner’s deck was a Kate McCaffrey deck with some criminal icebreakers. My deck was a Hass-Bioroid deck with some Jinteki traps and upgrades.
During the early game I got off to a good start, getting a Melange Mining Corp out safely, and defending my other main severs. While I was building my bank and setting up defenses, the runner was not doing as well. The runner had gotten one agenda (worth 2) from running on HQ early, however he had used most of the cards in his hand, all his money, and only had no icebreakers to show for it.

In the mid game I played a couple of obvious traps to help my friend learn how they look the same as agendas. One trap was tripped; however I had not placed any advancement counters on it, so he was safe. The runner had 2 ice breakers by this point; one fairly useless code-breaker, and one catch all icebreaker that uses virus counters to break subroutines. The runner was still short on cash. I finally scored an agenda. This is where the misplay that lost me the game happened. The agenda I scored was Accelerated Beta Testing. This agenda allows me to choose to look at the top three cards of R&D and put any ice into my hand while putting everything else into Archives. The mistake is that I looked at the top three cards. Why did I do this? I had plenty of ice. I had no agendas, so I didn’t want to draw any. And to top it all of I only had one ice protecting Archives. As you may have guessed all three cards were agendas. Worth a total of 7 points. I could have, no, I SHOULD have just left hose three cards alone. I would have drawn into an agenda each turn and could have started replacing un-tripped traps for real agendas.

The late game was a mess on my part. After I placed the three agendas into archives face down, the runner had an obvious choice for where to run next. Archives was my least protected server and there are a ton of face down cards. I Tried to place one last ice to protect those agendas, but the runner made it through, taking 3 brain damage, using all but one card in hand, and using all but one credit. If there had only been two agendas in archives, the runner would not have won that turn and would be very close to dying. However there were three agendas and he was able to take the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That'll happen.

Incidentally, it's okay to just name the cards, most people know what they do. Accelerated Beta Test, Crypsis, Project Junebug, Peacock/Gordian Blade...we're familiar.

But anyway, we have a saying in my area--"my mistakes are part of your win condition." I think you learned a valuable lesson there as to when not to trigger ABT. Probably 75% of the time it's just fine as a blank two points. If your Archives is defended or if you have some means to retrieve discarded cards, that's when you want to consider its optional effect.

Also, you're seeing another weakness of HB in general--bioroids are highly taxing, but they're also kind of porous. Sometimes a runner can just YOLO through them. Nasty sentries also often don't actually end the run, and if it's for the game, sometimes it's worth getting wrecked just to close out the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup, that ABT (as with many cards in netrunner) is a double-edge sword for sure.

Also, I'm sure you're playing it right and just wrote it down wrong, but Crypsis doesn't use virus tokens to break subroutines. You need a virus token in order to not trash him. Or maybe you're talking about Overmind but in that case those aren't virus tokens. They're just regular old power counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.