Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

My wife and I are starting to play this game together and I wanted to know if anyone had a definitive list on the Difficulty Rating of both Masterminds in correlation to Schemes. I ask this because I wanted to have a nice way of introducing her to the game slowly.

Now, would it be better for a new player to just play by Mastermind Difficulty and randomize the Schemes or try and go by both methods? (Ie, play vs Red Skull and X Scheme(s) for awhile and increasing the Mastermind Difficulty Rating as we go.) I did not want to just bombard her with new stuff all at once. We have all current Marvel Heroes sets.

Thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just follow the intro game in the rule book. That's what we did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAURICIO FLORES
Bolivia
centereach
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should start with Red Skull. For the schemes don't try Legacy Virus. You can start with Bank Robery or Killbots, since they show everything well without pomeling you. Don's choose Enemies of Asgard as a villaing group, since they're very tough.

I found that the timed schemes (Portals to the dark dimension, etc) are not so fun for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would start out with the Masterminds from the base set, and possibly play through them in order of toughness - Red Skull, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Loki.

Then do some of the Dark City Masterminds. I would avoid the super tough Masterminds for quite a while (Galactus and Thanos come immediately to mind) although you could play with the Heroes from those expansions if you wanted.

In terms of overall gameplay difficulty, here is how I would rate the Masterminds from all of the expansions:

Base Game
Dark City
PttR
FF
GotG

Now, that's not to say that individual Masterminds may be easier or more difficult than others, but overall that's probably how I would rank them. Perhaps even swap FF and GotG when you factor in Thanos and the Infinity Shards/Artifacts bonuses compared to Galactus and his slowly eliminating the entire city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The difficulty factor can also be increased or reduced depending on the scheme as I found going up against Galactus 4-6 sessions in the same day.

The recommended game in the rules left us a bit flat first go TBH but maybe you could use another scheme to make it more fun. Having said that it's the easiest one one to run through the basics and once you get passed the initial game it'll become second nature to her I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.