Dominion: Adventures» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #1 - Lost City, Magpie, Hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
It's a new Dominion expansion! Some of you knew it was inevitable; some of you hoped it would happen; some of you were glad it wasn't going to. It's happening though, I am so sure of it that I am previewing cards from it.

Adventures has a ton of cards, so I am previewing three a day. Each day but today the cards will fit a theme, showing off a different functional aspect of the set - Reserve, Duration, Events, tokens. That leaves today to show off some cards that don't fit those themes.

I like to lead with a simple card, to prove that the set has some. Lost City is a vanilla card on top, that makes the other players draw a card when you get one. You really don't want them to have that good turn, but then you may really want some Lost Cities.

Recent studies show that magpies do not especially collect shiny objects. These are folklore magpies though, which still do. Magpie might find you a treasure, or perhaps just reveal another Magpie. Over time a single Magpie can turn into a whole flock of them. There are just ten Magpies in the pile; they're not Rats with wings.

Finally we have Hero. This one is somewhat enigmatic. The top is straightforward, you get +$2 and gain a Treasure, any Treasure in the game. Usually Gold but you never know, could be Platinum or something more exotic. And then when you discard it from play, you can exchange it for a Champion. And wait, this isn't in the Supply. How do you get one? Well I'll tell you. You just need to discard a Warrior from play; then you can exchange the Warrior for a Hero. Warrior isn't in the Supply either though - you get one by exchanging a Treasure Hunter for it. I suppose it's obvious that you get a Treasure Hunter by exchanging a Page for it. But that's it, that's all the turtles there are; you buy a Page, and it turns into a Treasure Hunter, then a Warrior, then a Hero, then a Champion. Page costs $2, so the actual cost of Hero is, $2, plus playing those other cards once each. I somehow fit two of these cycles into Adventures - there's also a Peasant who becomes a Soldier, but then a Fugitive, but then a Disciple, and finally a Teacher. It's two little life stories, played out in cards that gradually get better for you. What exactly the other cards do will remain a mystery until the set is out; there is just too much to preview.

But wait, there's more! dominionstrategy.com is also going to have a preview each day this week - single card previews, a different previewer each time. The set has 58 uh things; even at 4 a day, it will be below average for what % of it was previewed. No doubt these other previews will be crossposted here, just as these are crossposted there. I am mentioning them here anyway.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not be more excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, previews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them all. Gimme, gimme, gimme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So awesome! I love the life story threads! Can't wait to see more previews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Columbia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other chain of travellers sounds interesting as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AP M
msg tools
mbmbmb
These look incredible! The wait has been worth it. I particularly love the Lost Cities artwork, really fits the theme.

Donald - does Magpie challenge Rats for your favorite? It feels like an improved version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
APMechanics wrote:
These look incredible! The wait has been worth it. I particularly love the Lost Cities artwork, really fits the theme.

Donald - does Magpie challenge Rats for your favorite? It feels like an improved version...
No, I like Magpie a lot, but what I like about Rats is that it screws you over, and yet somehow can be worth it. At some point you may be thinking, "what have I done?" Magpies don't make your deck worse, they just make themselves worse (as you hit treasures less often the more you have).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the preview!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
So what does that N arrow do that the text doesn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
It's just a little extra reminder. It can be easy to forget to upgrade your Travellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Thompson
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut up and take my money...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Recent studies show that magpies do not especially collect shiny objects. These are folklore magpies though, which still do. Magpie might find you a treasure, or perhaps just reveal another Magpie. Over time a single Magpie can turn into a whole flock of them. There are just ten Magpies in the pile; they're not Rats with wings.
Getting excited about new Dominion mechanics is fun, but this is what I've missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ada Knitter
Sweden
Malmö
Skane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice, after playing Thunderstone I was thinking about making my own dominion expansion with the hero type upgrades, and even downgrades, in the sense that some cards/villagers could become zombies/undead, etc, as in "diseased hero" or what have you. Let's see what Donalds take on this type of "Thunderstone mechanic" is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Team D20 wrote:
Hmm, so are pages returned to the supply, or trashed to get that chain started?
They are returned to the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral

Argentona, Barcelona, Catalonia
msg tools
mb
Another preview: Storyteller (from http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12855.0)

Storyteller: Action, $5
+1 Action
+$1
Play up to 3 Treasures from your hand. Pay all of your $; +1 Card per $ paid.

First, a couple of notes for clarity: You don't have to play treasures if you don't want to, but you DO have to spend all the $ you've collected over the course of the turn, including the money from the treasures you're playing, the $ from this card, as well as any you've made from previous actions.

Full disclosure: I haven't tested or played with this card at all, so this is an article of conjecture and of theory-crafting not one built from experience.

The first thing I noticed when I saw this card was that it was another way, besides Black Market, of getting treasures in play during the action phase. Now, some of the Black Market Combos - mostly draw-to-X variants, and Tactician, - aren't "on" here. But some of them – Quarry+gainer, using Horn Of Plenty mid-turn - still do work.

Anyway, these are only fringe benefits - the pet tricks I love and relish, but not, I am guessing, the bulk of what the card's work is. That, namely, is to turn cash into cards. Coppers turn into cantrips, Silvers turn into labs, and Golds turn into double labs, and all on a card which. This is, in general, an improvement in every case. And all of this is on a card which is a cantrip by itself. The drawback, of course, is that if you are using this to draw your deck, you are sapping some of the money out of that deck. Still, this really gets your draw going quickly, which is especially potent in the early stages of the game.

Most cards are fairly simple to play once they're in your deck - you just play all your villages and non-terminals first, draw cards before non-draw, and go. But I expect this card will be very tricky to play during the mid- and late-game. You need to know exactly how much money to funnel into it to get the draw you need (need to know how much draw you need for that as well) while still making sure you have enough money left to buy what you need come end of turn. I also want to point out potential anti-synergies with Peddler variants (and Conspirator variants): it may look like this is non-terminal draw/sifting (and it is), and that cantrip-money-based decks seem to love that kind of card. Normally they do, but if you draw this card late in your turn, you might be forced into not playing it at all, because it would sap you of too much money. You can mitigate that some by simply feeding fewer/worse treasures into this, but it's not as much of a pure success as it might at first glance seem.

Ultimately this IS a sifter, with a little bit of non-terminal draw thrown in. Discarding coppers with this is like cellar plus a card; more expensive treasures get you a little more.

What kinds of decks want this? Well, engines would prefer other sifters once they are running, since this one costs economy, but Storyteller does help a lot in getting them running, and this is generally a higher-priority issue. It's worth noting that strong trashing will probably more or less obsolete the need for Storytelling.

Terminal draw Big Money will obviously not like this. The same is true of slogs, since unlike other sifters, this can't get rid of non-treasures. Decks which are somewhere between money decks and engines - decks where treasure is good but you'd really like to play a key action or a couple of key actions very often - seem like ideal homes for this card. Those decks exist now, but they rarely get a chance to shine, being squeezed by often-more-powerful engines and often-faster Big Money strategies. Perhaps Storyteller will allow them to shine more often. In general, you want your payload to be something which is happening at the end of your turn, and not interspersed in the middle. Treasure has this quality, but it’s not the only thing. Many mega-turn strategies like Bridge and Horn Of Plenty don’t care about traditional money. They’ll work particularly nicely with Storyteller.

As for strength, I am going to guess that this card will end up being powerful, but $5 is a price-point with a high bar. Ultimately, we're dealing with a situational card here, so on the right board, in the right spot, it will be something you want to jump on hard, but other times it will not have the impact required for its cost. In other words, the exact thing which is my favorite kind of card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in short...don't teach newbies Dominion using this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
So in short...don't teach newbies Dominion using this set.
I have done that. It's not so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Um. Quite simply... yay!!!!!!!

Most played game in my family and game that got me into this fantastic hobby. Can't wait for the new release.

Wish there was an official solo variant though that I could use... (my kids are aging, college calls, texting and the discovery of girlfriends and boyfriends have taken time away from the gaming table so thus I sit alone but with chairs across waiting for them all to return) Being solo would catapult this back into my most played current list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
I read your post, scrolled up to the pic and saw no arrow. I read your post again, scrolled up and saw no arrow. Then I tried one more time and finally saw the giant arrow behind the text.

So the answer to your question is:

"Blend in."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
salva wrote:
+1 Action
+$1
I don't think I fully understand this sentence. What does it mean exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
salva wrote:
+1 Action
+$1
I guess the rulebook for Adventures will define "pay", since it's not a term previously used on Dominion cards, but it seems clear that here it means "+1 card per coin you have, then drop to zero coins" (of course this could be worded a lot better).

EDIT: I'm now wondering how this combines with coin tokens, since I assume all sets are still mixable. If you are holding coin tokens, are you forced to spend them by Story teller? (I'm guessing "no", but I don't think it's clear without a ruling, which I assume will be given in the rulebook.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
salva wrote:
+1 Action
+$1
It means to spend all the money you've accumulated so far in your turn.

For example, if you play this card and use it to play 3 coppers, you spend the $4 (1 from this card, 1 each from the coppers) to draw four cards, and your $ total drops back to zero.

If you draw a silver and a gold, and play those in your buy phase, you'd have $5 total money to buy with (because you used the $4 already to draw cards), instead of $9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |