Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Montanari
Italy
Ravenna
Italy
flag msg tools
I was thinking..
Family games need low downtime or they become boring.
With the expansion you can arrive at ten player.
I know. A player turn is quick but ten player are a lot.
My question is not if there is too much downtime or not (too personal question!).
My question is about the mechanic of the game.
"With the expansione the mechanic is the same? Move one, move all others players in clockwise order? When others players move have you got something to do?"
Thanks

PS.
With ten players do you think is possible a manche ends before some players have made own turn (or only one single turn with low possibility to play)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Camel Up with 8 Player once. The downtime is really not that high. But the game gets even more random. Less player want to roll a die, because all other 7 player will have that much more information.
But this encourge more gamblin, which also makes to game more fun.

So I would say, 10 players is possible, with a group that gets into gamblin and doesn't want to think everything out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry chang
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there isn't much downtime on camelup
u need constant checking if you score something
i enjoy 6+ on camelup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I realize this is a little old, but I thought I'd chime in; keep in mind all I've done is look through the rules, not played a large game. In the rules, you're told to use all four modules if you plan to play a 9-10 player game, which I actually think addresses many of your concerns. The extended board adds length and a closer race, the Photographer adds an extra way to gain money, the position betting adds a way to mitigate bad early bets--or get extra money for late bets--and best of all the partner betting lets you leach off someone else who made a good bet before you.

Keep in mind that every time you add an extra action (which every module does) you extend the length of every leg, which gives other players going later in the round a better chance to get in on the action. In particular, the extended board and position betting tiles add an extra betting tile per camel, so that alone extends options. And even if it's not your turn, now you have more reasons to cheer the camels on! I think if you like Camel Up, which I very much do, this is a great expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pan76 wrote:

With ten players do you think is possible a manche ends before some players have made own turn (or only one single turn with low possibility to play)?

Could someone comment on this particular point? If the first 5 players all take a pyramid tile and move a camel...isn't that leg then over and the other 5 players miss a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
PuzzlingEnigma wrote:
pan76 wrote:

Could someone comment on this particular point? If the first 5 players all take a pyramid tile and move a camel...isn't that leg then over and the other 5 players miss a turn?

I'd say it was unlikely, unless the players are robots (or young children who tend to enjoy moving the camels). This is because in a 10 player game players are unlikely to want to want to move a camel on their first turn as all they would be doing is giving information to the next player so they can take a gamble. However, once players have selected other actions (especially the camera action which is worth pointing out to players and desert tiles they will then probably want to move a camel on a later turn). The expansion extra modules are designed to not only give players more things to do, but also to give players a reason to move a camel on later turns. The randomness is also increased which helps make one leg last longer then in the original game.

However, yes since there are only 5 camels (plus a last place supporting die in the expansion rules for 10 players) if the first 6 players all move a camel then players 7 to 10 will not have had a turn before the leg ends. But that would never happen because why would anyone choose to move the last camel if no one had made any bets on positions? In any case even if that did happen, no points would be scored that leg (other than the 1 coin for moving a camel) so no one would be better off. Then the next leg will start with player 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikboy wrote:
Then the next leg will start with player 7.

Thanks, I can see that there's no incentive to move camels early on, thanks.

Is your last point right? I thought the 'starting leg token' moved to the left each leg, so it would jump back to player 2 to start the second leg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Yes, my last point is correct. The leg starting player marker goes to the left of the person who just took the last pyramid tile. It's there simply so that you don't forget who's turn it is next after scoring the leg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.