Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Imperial player - looking for suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Indiana Last Name
msg tools
mb
Hi everyone -

sorry i don't have the game in front of me to give the specifics so i'll try to describe as best as possible.

I get steam rolled by rebel players - on every mission (but one) so far. i just finished the 2nd story mission and they absolutely destroy anything i put on the board. we don't have the expansion characters yet and the rebels consist of the jedi, wookie and both ranged characters. the wookie can move 10 spaces and attack AND has something absurd like 16 health (using strain), the jedi - just rolls and negates damage ALL THE TIME (6 out of 8 times last night), one of the ranged guys heals strain every time they are alone and the other ranged guy can't be attacked 4 spaces or more away. i mean WTF? if its a mission that is over by a certain round then the wookie runs to the point of interest. if there is no time limit the wookie and jedi run in and AOE EVERYTHING while the ranged guys are out of attack range. They destroyed IG-88 and an elite Nexu last night in 4 AOE hits.

how do you contend with this? i feel the game isn't fun for them because they know they will always win. the ONLY time i won was when we had a mission with vader in it (the luke skywalker mission).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wonder if you are getting some sort of rule wrong. What was your 2nd story mission?

It can be difficult for the imperial player in the beginning. Only getting 2 threat per turn is hard to handle. Things bet much better later one.

Try using Trandoshan Hunters. They do a great job of causing stress. Also make sure to use abilities like bleed and stun. These can cripple your opponents for a round. Royal guards are also very nice. They can tank pretty well as long as they are next to each other.

What AOE effect are you referencing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This usually means you are getting a rule/a bunch of rules wrong, as KillerArdvark states. Make sure you understand the difference between wounded heroes and withdrawn heroes. Also, I must say that if they are spending the actions to kill your people, they are already falling into the Imp trap. The imperials are (kinda) designed to swarm, but die quickly.
Also, the Wookie can only move 10 spaces and attack once before he is full of strain, which means he won't be doing it again until he heals a bit. And he can only heal 1 strain per attack.

First, some troubleshooting questions:
1. Have you, or any of your friends played Decent? Ever?
2. What do you mean by AOE?
3. What skill deck are you using?
3. Are you using the alternating activation scheme? I.E. They move 1, you move 1, etc.
4.5 So if I read this correctly you have played 3 games? "AfterMath"(Lose), "Homecoming"(Win), "a new threat"(lose)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indiana Last Name
msg tools
mb
Quote:
1. Have you, or any of your friends played Decent? Ever?
2. What do you mean by AOE?
3. What skill deck are you using?
3. Are you using the alternating activation scheme? I.E. They move 1, you move 1, etc.
4.5 So if I read this correctly you have played 3 games? "AfterMath"(Lose), "Homecoming"(Win), "a new threat"(lose)?

1) no
2) cleave and some sort of blast shot that one of the ranged guys does (i understand the difference between cleave and blast). he has an item or ability that does 2 aoe dmg per shot. that was how he took out the elite nexu and IG-88 so quick - 2 shots and they get the 4 AOE damage because they were next to the target.
3) i can't remember off the top of my head - i'll check when i get home
3) yes
4.5) sorry - i didn't count aftermath as a story mission. i just finish story 3 then - the han solo escape mission

the wookie will strain the crap out of himself to move and attack then he will rest as the next action and get rid of the strain. if he's REALLY hurt he will rest twice. however - by this time he is already 3/4's of the way across the board. he basically walks by my defenses and he might take a shot or two, but he has something like 15 health so it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blast (Fenn and Havoc Shot?) and Cleave only work if the attack dealt damage. Did they hit every time?

But generally, with those heroes you are going to have a hard time until you get to 4 threat level. Just try to avoid keeping figures in groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If that white dice is rolling Evade, you may just be falling to bad luck. It sounds like your Rebel players are playing pretty optimally and you are going to have to use all the tricks in the book to eek out a win.

Make sure players are only applying conditions if damage is dealt. (Blast, Focus, Cleave, Bleeds, Stuns, etc.) Only recovering 1 strain per turn through surges. Max of 2 strain to move 2 per activation. Ability cards only "untap" at the start of their own activations, not at the start of the round. You can't voluntarily suffer strain if you equal your endurance. Each dice may only be rerolled once during an attack of ability challenge.

Mak is super annoying, he's the last die usually as he just runs away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indiana Last Name
msg tools
mb
the only 2 things i really don't understand is interacting. ready the learn to play rulebook, it says for example "heroes can interact with a crate to draw one supply card." in this example is it just using one action as the interact?

also - when doors are destroyed - do you still need to interact with them? (we have been playing "no" to this one since we thought a big hole would be where the door was.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indianaman79 wrote:
the only 2 things i really don't understand is interacting. ready the learn to play rulebook, it says for example "heroes can interact with a crate to draw one supply card." in this example is it just using one action as the interact?

also - when doors are destroyed - do you still need to interact with them? (we have been playing "no" to this one since we thought a big hole would be where the door was.)
You are playing correct on both parts. One action to get a crate, destroyed doors are removed from play aka opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indiana Last Name
msg tools
mb
yeah - so i'm just getting rolled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trandoshan Hunters and Royal Guards. Give them a shot. Look for abilities that cause strain or status effects. A combination of these can cripple your opponent.

I was getting stomped for a while then found my groove. Now i've won the last 7 games in a row (5 with a new group, 2 with my primary group which i'm now 2 and 2 against).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should read the Rules Reference Guide through a few times. Every keyword is there and tells you (almost) everything you need to know. Also get the FAQ from FFG.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imp...

You can use an action to interact with and adjacent object. Depending on the object and mission rules, various things happen: unlocked doors are opened (and removed from the map, opened doors can not be closed except by mission events/rules), a supply crate gives out its contents (one-shot for each crate), terminals and other tokens perform mission-specific effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indiana Last Name
msg tools
mb
sorry one more question i forgot about

in the rules book it says "Each action must be resolved completely before the figure performs its next action."

but in the learn to play on page 5 (upper right) it says storm trooper has 4 move points so he moves 1, interacts with the doors as the 2nd action, then finishes the move with 3.

so can you partially move interact/attack then finish as both actions? these seem to contradict each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Move action only provides you with movement points and is finished instantly.

The movement points you gained can be spent to actually move the figure any time before, between, or after your actions, but not during any action.

Heroes can also take 1 strain (upto their endurance) to gain a movement point, upto twice during their activation.

(If movement points are received when it is not a figure's activation, they must be spent immediately, or they are lost.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would suggest that you keep your figures spaced out when possible to mitigate AOE effects. Also, unless your character is good at Melee, you want to keep them away from the heroes as much as possible. Remember that your figures can start a move, do their second action (like attack) and then finish the move. I.e., a figure can move up to a corner, fire of a shot and then move back out of sight; or a stormtrooper can move next to another stormtrooper to get the swarm benefit, make his attack and then move out of adjacency. While IA is mostly an adventure board game, it is also a tactical miniatures game, so make sure to use the terrain and rules mechanics to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Also make sure to use abilities like bleed and stun.

This. Especially stun. Stun is quite possibly your best weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.