Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading the preview for Storyteller (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12855.msg0...) and thought that it would work really well in a Prince game with no buys. You'd cycle your deck faster and there's a good chance you could draw enough to get your Prince and the card you wanted.

Then I thought that it would take a Highway to Prince a Storyteller. Then I thought about the edge-casers who would talk about Bridge or Princess. Then I thought about Quarries, which work really well with a Prince/Storyteller combo. I thought "you could even Prince a Prince with it."

But would that work? My whole long-rambling introduction was for that one question: would setting aside Prince with Prince work as you would want it to. I think it would.

On subsequent turns, you would play your second Prince, setting it aside with another Action card. Then your first Prince would lose track of it since your second Prince is already set aside. BUT, Prince, as worded, says "stop playing it [second prince-ed] if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it" But you did set second prince aside as part of playing it.

I think if you managed to Prince a Prince, you could keep using the second Prince to set aside action cards and could play them at the start of each of your subsequent turns as long as you could keep setting them aside. Am I wrong? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
I was reading the preview for Storyteller (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12855.msg0...) and thought that it would work really well in a Prince game with no buys. You'd cycle your deck faster and there's a good chance you could draw enough to get your Prince and the card you wanted.

Then I thought that it would take a Highway to Prince a Storyteller. Then I thought about the edge-casers who would talk about Bridge or Princess. Then I thought about Quarries, which work really well with a Prince/Storyteller combo. I thought "you could even Prince a Prince with it."

But would that work? My whole long-rambling introduction was for that one question: would setting aside Prince with Prince work as you would want it to. I think it would.

On subsequent turns, you would play your second Prince, setting it aside with another Action card. Then your first Prince would lose track of it since your second Prince is already set aside. BUT, Prince, as worded, says "stop playing it [second prince-ed] if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it" But you did set second prince aside as part of playing it.

I think if you managed to Prince a Prince, you could keep using the second Prince to set aside action cards and could play them at the start of each of your subsequent turns as long as you could keep setting them aside. Am I wrong? Thanks!

As soon as the first Prince fails to set aside the second Prince, the first Prince stops working.

Edit: First Prince doesn't know that Second Prince set itself aside--it lost track, remember? So as far as First Prince is concerned, Second Prince was not set aside, because First Prince didn't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to set aside a Prince using Prince, you have to somehow reduce the cost of the Prince from 8 to 4.

That's theoretically possible, but Quarry doesn't do it, because you can't play Quarry until your Buy phase, which is too late to then play Action cards like Prince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you want to set aside a Prince using Prince, you have to somehow reduce the cost of the Prince from 8 to 4.

That's theoretically possible, but Quarry doesn't do it, because you can't play Quarry until your Buy phase, which is too late to then play Action cards like Prince.

The linked card, Storyteller, lets you play treasures in your Action phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:

I would tend to agree given the text of the card as written.

The text says "Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn that you play it." The intention seems to be that if for some reason you don't discard it at the end of your turn and then set it aside instead, then it doesn't keep working.

But what it literally says is that it's enough if you set it aside in any way, including setting it aside as a result of its own power. This could be a bug and maybe Donald would correct it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

Edit: First Prince doesn't know that Second Prince set itself aside--it lost track, remember? So as far as First Prince is concerned, Second Prince was not set aside, because First Prince didn't do it.

What David said: First Prince's wording indicates it doesn't care who set Second Prince aside, just that it was set aside, which it did itself.

Given that Donald has already posted something on this topic, I suspect that he is preparing a reply as I type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Buggy wrote:

Prince has to be the thing that set the card aside; if something else sets it aside, Prince stops playing the card. There is an implicit "this way" or "that thing we were just talking about."

Here is the FAQ.

Quote:
Prince has you play the same cheap action every turn for the rest of the game. The turn you play Prince, you set it aside with an Action from your hand costing $4 or less; then every turn after that you play the Action at the start of the turn, and then set it aside again when you discard it from play. If you don't discard the Action then you stop playing it with Prince; Prince at that point is just set aside doing nothing for the rest of the game. That won't normally happen but will happen for example if the Action is a Feast or Mining Village and you trashed it, or if it's a duration card and so it stayed in play, or if it's a Madman and was returned to its pile, or if it's an Island and was set aside, or if it's a card you put back on your deck with Scheme. In practice you will probably not choose to set aside Prince with a card that won't work well with it, and so will play the Action you set aside every turn from that point on. The set aside Action technically goes back and forth from being in play to being set aside each turn, but in practice it's easier to leave it sitting on the Prince and just announce resolving it each turn.

Prince has to be set aside to do anything; using Throne Room on Prince won't let you set aside two cards. The Action card you set aside has to cost $4 at the time you play Prince, but can normally cost more; for example you could play a Highway, then use Prince on a Laboratory. You do not play the set aside Action the turn you first set it aside with Prince. Playing the card each turn doesn't use up your normal Action play, and is mandatory; setting aside the Action when you discard it from play is also mandatory, you only fail to do it if the card isn't in play at that point. At the end of the game, Prince and the set aside card are returned to your deck before scoring. When you have multiple effects to resolve at the start of the turn - such as multiple Princes and certain duration cards from Seaside - resolve them in any order, and that order may vary from turn to turn; choose one to resolve, resolve it, then move on to another one, until they are all resolved. Cards which cost $0* such as Mercenary and the Cornucopia Prizes can be set aside with a Prince, as can cards from Guilds that cost $2+ or $3+ or $4+. Cards with a Potion in the cost cannot be set aside with Prince. Prince plays its Action on extra turns from Outpost and Possession. The Action card that Prince plays is in play after it's played each turn, so it will count for things like Peddler; Prince however remains set aside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't discard the Action then you stop playing it with Prince....

That seems clear enough. I guess I should have read that first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the quick and cogent reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Highway from Hinterlands can reduce card costs immediately when played, during the Action phase, so that would also be another way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.