Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is probably my single most anticipated game of all time. Being a huge fan of Glorantha and Runequest this is the type of game I will certainly like. What is the expected date for kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, after the 2nd wave of Cthulhu Wars has shipped. Which is expected to ship this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But feel free to join one of the play by forum games after #1 has finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
VerbalKint wrote:
So this is probably my single most anticipated game of all time. Being a huge fan of Glorantha and Runequest this is the type of game I will certainly like. What is the expected date for kickstarter?

We are excited too! The best estimate I can give right now, is late August (after GenCon). But that could change entirely as time goes on.

We are pushing really hard for all Cthulhu Wars expansions to be here by GenCon, but, as always, there is a chance it could be a little after (or a little earlier!).

Additionally, even though we are going to launch this after CW expansions arrive, there could be reasons to push back The Gods War further anyway (sculpts not ready; game not up to Sandy's desired completed level, etc.).

From where I stand, The Gods War is the spiritual successor to Cthulhu Wars, and I think Sandy wants to make it absolutely perfect from top to bottom (sculpts, design, everything). I have a feeling it will rule the world when it is done. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From the preliminary impression I'm having of the game in the Play-by-forum, this is very much Advanced Cthulhu Wars. Based off of the older set of rules I read, there's some rules that are intuitive that make sense like activating a region for movement and then moving as many units as you want from that region for 1 Power. However, there's such a huge amount of special cases and weird rules for each faction and then wrapping your head around the events in the game when certain things happen is alot to keep track of.

I'm vaguely familiar with the Glorantha setting, so most of it seems to just come out of nowhere and I get lost pretty easily, but for someone already intimate with the setting I'm sure it all makes perfect sense. In Cthulhu Wars you'll have one or two things to remember about each faction during your turn, like Passion for Yellow Sign or Devolve for Cthulhu, things that will directly come into play based on your actions. In God's War it feels like anything I do gets impacted by a Gift, a special ability, or some other factor, it's definitely pushing the Cthulhu Wars system to the next level. For some wargamers that's going to be great as I remember seeing alot of review videos calling out the simplicity of Cthulhu Wars as if it were some kind of mark against the game. For me it just reminds me of what a simpleton I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to try CW but the setting has never really done it for me. I've play Arkham Horror, Kingsport Festival and other Cthulu games. Glorantha I've been gaming in since I was about for about 25 years. I can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And can someone link to the play by forums please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1325155/pbf-1-gods-war-i-ca...

This is currently the only game in it. It is using slightly older files then the ones that are currently available to download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slowly getting used to all the abilities every faction is using. And the worst part is that we haven't even seen all of them used. For example Dark has never used his temples to get back to hell and Storm has never used his temples to fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
I'm slowly getting used to all the abilities every faction is using. And the worst part is that we haven't even seen all of them used. For example Dark has never used his temples to get back to hell and Storm has never used his temples to fly.

Dark and Earth are my favorite factions in The God's War. Both allow the player to manipulate both the board and other players extremely well.

I'm hoping to get a chance to play a few rounds of The God's War this weekend during the Cthulhu Wars retail party! It should be most...Interesting!

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you might know this, does earth only have as many queens as there are opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
Oh you might know this, does earth only have as many queens as there are opponents?

This is actually requires two answers.

1) Earth has a "Queen" model for every faction in The God's War.
2) I'm going from memory here, but I do believe it has a hard cap on the amount of slots available for the "Marriage Ceremony". I believe it's 5.

I will double check this on Thursday when I arrive in Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VerbalKint wrote:

I'd second this, really looking forward to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I will try to answer the questions that have accumulated here:

1) What is the anticipated date of kickstarter?

A - We launch the Gods War Kickstarter campaign when we have finally shipped all of the Cthulhu Wars add-ons and expansions. We expect this to finish by the end of the summer, so we are hoping for either late August or September.

2) it's definitely pushing the Cthulhu Wars system to the next level

A - I realize this isn't really a "question", but I had to weigh on on this. Yeah I get this a lot with Gods War. The best way to explain it is that Cthulhu Wars is a lot like a knife fight in a back alley. Gods War is more like a formal duel.

3) does earth only have as many queens as there are opponents?

A - no, Earth has 7 Earth Queens available to her, so if she summons them all she'll have the largest army on the map. Except of course, some of them belong to other players. I think the most Earth Queens I've ever seen on the map at once was 5, but three of them weren't under Earth's control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow I just now realized that "Sandy" you were referring to is the same Sandy Peterson who did a bunch of the old RQ supplements that I enjoyed so much. I know that this game is in good hands now haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
3) does earth only have as many queens as there are opponents?

A - no, Earth has 7 Earth Queens available to her, so if she summons them all she'll have the largest army on the map. Except of course, some of them belong to other players. I think the most Earth Queens I've ever seen on the map at once was 5, but three of them weren't under Earth's control.

This actually happened during my first game play session on my last trip to Texas. I made it a point to get every faction's "Queen" in play to reap the benefits. They were the most "utilized" unit in that session! "Queens" are cheap to re-summon, have a good combat:cost ratio, and provide an interesting game play dynamic.

Dark and Earth really are for people who love to torment. Both really do excel at it.

The God's War! Chaos is gonna get you!

EDIT: Sandy changed "Earth's" faction sheet up a bit. The "Marriage Box" was not present during my last trip in January. Instead, there were five circles on the sheet. This is why I made mention of the "hard cap" in my post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What and you guy are from Texas? I'm moving to Texas in June.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VerbalKint wrote:
What and you guy are from Texas? I'm moving to Texas in June.

The Petersen's reside in Texas. I live a state over in Arkansas. So I make a couple trips to visit them throughout the year. Generally my trips are from January to May due to work/scheduling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the Dallas area. Of course, Texas is a big state, and if you're moving to, say, El Paso we may not have much of a chance to see each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha yeah I meant to mention Dallas area as well. In fact my wife and I looked at homes in Rockwall and Wiley during my visit last month. My wife is working in Plano now. The rest of the family will be moving after school gets out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're now in Plano (i realize this is months later), perhaps you can come over for a game of Gods War sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
If you're now in Plano (i realize this is months later), perhaps you can come over for a game of Gods War sometimes.

Thank you for the invite! Unfortunately because of some "life stuff" our move has been out on hold. Though I do get down that way once or twice a year to visit my brother. I will contact you next time I'm thinking of visiting. I would love to try out this game! Anything more official as far as a projected date for Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy, I'm planning on coming to the Plano area in July. I know you are busy with your many ventures but if the offer still stands, I would love an opportunity to play this game and meet you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VerbalKint wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Thank you for the invite! Unfortunately because of some "life stuff" our move has been out on hold. Though I do get down that way once or twice a year to visit my brother. I will contact you next time I'm thinking of visiting. I would love to try out this game! Anything more official as far as a projected date for Kickstarter?

May 9th was the most recent projected Kickstarter date.
(Posted here Re: Gods War at OwlCon on February 19-21st )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Smith
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
VerbalKint wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

May 9th was the most recent projected Kickstarter date.
(Posted here Re: Gods War at OwlCon on February 19-21st )

But see above in this thread for answer by Sandy:
A - We launch the Gods War Kickstarter campaign when we have finally shipped all of the Cthulhu Wars add-ons and expansions. We expect this to finish by the end of the summer, so we are hoping for either late August or September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.