Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingsburg» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Kingsburg wants you to build and defend its realms: A review of Kingsburg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas Ylikoski
Finland
kauhajoki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to Kingsburg

High and mighty king has appointed you and your fellow gamers to be governors of different peripheries of Kingsburg. Your job is to develop this remote land and also prepare to fight against incoming hordes of ghastly creatures. Winter is coming... (an old saying among the men of North). At first you don`t have almost any funds, military intelligence or material resources for this task. In order to get all you need, you have to get favors from different members of kings court. You also got to be fast if you want to get what you need because you are not the only beggar in town.

Kingsburg is a light worker placement game from Andrea Chiavesio and Luca Iennaco. It features an innovative dice-mechanic by which you choose your actions. But is it any good or just a gimmick without a soul wrapped in a beautiful box?
I will break this review in sections and we will see how this game holds its place among other worker placement games.

Box and insert

Gamebox is sturdy and has similar dimensions as Days of Wonder games and Dominion base game. It has astoundingly beautiful artwork which is cartoony and very pleasing. It looks like a gem and I got to resist the urge to frame it on the wall.

The insert is propably generic but it has spacious compartments to fit all the bits and pieces. One thing I noticed that the insert should be a quark lower so that game board and player boards would fit better on the top. Game pieces would still have more than enough room. I have fitted the common pieces in a tacklebox and the cards and player pieces are in individual zip lock-bags.

Overall, you get a good first impression of this game and all you hope is that everything else is at the same high standard.

Sturdy, practical and with good production value

Boards, bits and pieces

Board with all the components

"Mirror mirror on the wall, which game is the fairest of them all?" "Kingsburg is the fairest." answers the mirror without hesitation. Just look at it! Artwork is clear and crisp, the colours match and pop. There are multiple tracks for account keeping, slots for the resources, time track and on the center, the members of the court. All has been painted with good taste and skill. Even this board is very busy and full of things, it isn`t hard to comprehend. Cartoony approach brings clarity to the appearance which is only an asset considering functionality. This board is just magnificent!

"Just look at it!"

Components are basic Euro standard: wooden cubes and markers, thick cardboard tokens and a bunch of dice. Colours are pleasing to the eye. I still wish that resource tokens had been sculpted as in Stone Age instead of boring cubes. Despite that I am quite happy with the quality of components. Extra credit goes to the invader cards that are plastic coated and can be wiped with a damp cloth (if there happens to be any Cheesy Poof eating sticky fingers around).

Player boards are thin, about the same thickness as the player boards you find in the Castles of Burgundy. Colour palette is more toned down than in game board which gives aestethic balance to the whole ensemble. Boards are not too crowded and symbolism is easy to comprehend without further checking from the rulebook.

Overall, the same high production value as in box / insert ooozes out of the component section too. When I look inside this box I have a feeling that my money has been well spent.

Rulebook

Rulebook is quite thin, easy to grasp and it includes lots of examples and pictorial references to game board. I find it very easy to learn the rules of gameplay even I am not a native speaker of london. Two thumbs up.

Note, the exceptions are underlined

Gameplay

Now a brief explanation of the gameplay. You win by collecting more victory points than others. Clear? Ok, then we will continue.
You gain victory points from your buildings, straight from the court members and by winning battles against the invading hordes of all kind of nasty creatures (zombies, orcs, goblins and so on).

The game lasts five years. Each year has four seasons. Three seasons are for scheming and building and then comes winter and the hordes attack your realm. Each of the players must have military strenght that equals the strenght of the attacker in order to avoid penalties that can be severe. Invaders can burn down your buildings, take your resources and take away some of your hard earned victory points. It is usually a sound strategy to avoid these penalties (wink wink). After fifth year the game ends and the person furthest on the vp-track wins.

There is also something happening between the seasons. King comes after each season to visit his vassals and either rewards the best builders or grants aid to the player who has accomplished the least. So we have quite a fair king, don`t we?

Action selection is done by placing your die/dice on the kings advisor that you want to get aid from. The value of die/dice must correspond with the numerical value of the advisor. After everyone has placed their dice, they are withdrawn and benefits are collected. After this phase everyone can build a building.

Building is done on your own player board. There are five different building types and each have four upgrades that can`t be built before you`ve built all the cheaper buildings from the same line. When you build a building you pay the resources to the bank, place a token on the cost circle on your player board and get the rewards from the building. Buildings give you many kind of benefits in addition to vp.s. You can for example get an extra die, reroll the worst rolls, additional military strenght or even extra gold. the difficulty is in choosing your building strategy. Do you want to in example concentrate on the economical side and gamble on your defence or take a safe path in military but less vp.s. One way is to do something in every section and lose the game. At least that is what has happened to me few times.
The player board is fixed so you might end up repeating same strategies game after game which does not promise anything good for the replayability. The big boys have told me that the expansion covers this weakness but it seems to be hard to find and also pretty expensive.

That is all I have to say of the basic gameplay. You should figure out the rest by your own. I don`t want to take all the joy out of the discovery.

The Playa board

Review with pros and cons

Kingsburg is more than a decent worker placement game. I enjoy the dice placement aspect a lot but have yet to find the best building strategy. It is propably a good thing that the game doesn`t feel solved yet. I am not in the need for additional rows on my player board but I anticipate that some day I will. Before that day I am good even without the To Forge a Realm expansion.

Always when there are dice involved one must lay a few words on the luck mitigation factor. There are many ways to mitigate the luck in dice throws but if you happen to roll crappy craps and your fellow gamers roll constantly triple sixes, it will hurt you. The castles of Burgundy serves as a good comparison in this case. In COB you can pretty much make the dice rolls inrelevant with some clever bonus tiles and selling some of your dice. In Kingsburg you are always dependant on good throws. Still, all is not lost even if you don`t roll high. Three lower advisors can almost give you same amount of benefits as one of the higher end court members. You just have to be aware what your fellow gamers have rolled and block them cleverly from getting what you need.

Theme of Kingsburg is vague. The Dark Ages - fantasy - building isn`t very, should I say, coherent. Theme could be replaced with any kind of other theme. Now that is said i must still point out that I chose Kingsburg over Alien Frontiers because I don`t enjoy space theme. Theme matters, even when it is pasted on and thin. World of Kingsburg is colourful, aestethically superb and it is always a joy to look at.

I think that Kingsburg is a solid euro, it executes worker placement in a fun way and I can recommend this game to everyone who enjoy dice, beauty and euro games. This can serve as an appetizer before playing a heavier euro or as main course for a casual group or family. Fantasy Flight has only strenghtened its reputation as a game publisher with this one. If you don`t have it, go get it!

My current BGG rank for Kingsburg is hefty 8.5.

Time will tell where the long term rating will stabilize.

Pros:

- Dice mechanism gives worker placement some extra twist
- Art is magnificent. Kingsburg is the most beautiful game I have.
- Multiple paths to win
- Fair king keeps the game close. It ain`t always best to be first.
- Hard choices

Cons:

- It is almost impossible to catch up if you fall badly behind and your opponents don`t make any drastic miscalculations.
- Dice can act as kingmakers and ruin/save your game.
- Replayability isn`t going to be eternal without the expansion
- Insert could have been better in order to fit the boards under the lid more comfortably.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this review.
Thank you for your interest!

-Tuomas-

"edit. spell check(s), logo"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well done!

I enjoy Kingsburg as well . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review of a game that is well past its hype stage. It still is one of the better dice games out there.

I have the expansion which does give some variety but is not necessary unless you play the base game a lot. Then it is quite a good buy as it can force people out of their usual pattern of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sevorges wrote:
Nice review of a game that is well past its hype stage. It still is one of the better dice games out there.

I have the expansion which does give some variety but is not necessary unless you play the base game a lot. Then it is quite a good buy as it can force people out of their usual pattern of play.

Doesn't anyone else feel this game has aged poorly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

There are still very few games like it out there, and Kingsport Festival doesn't quite replace it for me (I don't like the theme). However, I think most people prefer Alien Frontiers over Kingsburg. I've yet to play Alien Frontiers, but I like Kingsburg a lot and would play it when the opportunity presents itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I still enjoy Kingsburg, and have kept it in my collection despite getting Alien Frontiers. The two games do feel quite different during play, despite the similar mechanism. The expansion (Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm) is worth getting, although I think it can be tricky to get hold of now. It improves the replayability of the game a lot, and adds some interesting variations.

Kinsgport Festival doesn't hold much interest for me – it just looks ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own it myself but I have two friends who do and I must say that it always gets a good reception when it hits the table. I think that after several plays the expansion is needed as people tend to stick to a strategy in the base game if you are not careful. Its a game which people in my groups will readily agree to play and that for me is a test of a game that will last over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Dales wrote:
Thanks for the review. I still enjoy Kingsburg, and have kept it in my collection despite getting Alien Frontiers. The two games do feel quite different during play, despite the similar mechanism. The expansion (Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm) is worth getting, although I think it can be tricky to get hold of now. It improves the replayability of the game a lot, and adds some interesting variations.

As luck would have it, the expansion is finally being reprinted. According to Fantasy Flight, it's "on the boat" as we speak on it's way over.

Kingsburg and Alien Frontiers are forever compared to each other. I've played both and prefer Kingsburg, though I see the appeal of Alien Frontiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For me:

High dice rolls are too much better than low ones. If you roll a 17 a few times you're going to be doing well no matter how badly you plan your buildings. Opportunities for splitting will only really matter at low player counts.

Too many catchup mechanisms. For a game with so much luck, to bring everyone close together seems to exaggerate this.

The king dice has too much effect in winter battles. So you've chosen to build your defence? Oh, it wasn't necessary anyway. There's no strategy to this, just will you take the risk and get lucky or not. When I played nobody failed a single battle because of high rolls.

I don't really see where the variety comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishwick wrote:
High dice rolls are too much better than low ones. If you roll a 17 a few times you're going to be doing well no matter how badly you plan your buildings. Opportunities for splitting will only really matter at low player counts.

Too many catchup mechanisms. For a game with so much luck, to bring everyone close together seems to exaggerate this.

I think the entire reason there are two catchup mechanisms IS to counter a player that is consistently rolling higher.

Fishwick wrote:
The king dice has too much effect in winter battles. So you've chosen to build your defence? Oh, it wasn't necessary anyway. There's no strategy to this, just will you take the risk and get lucky or not. When I played nobody failed a single battle because of high rolls.

I tend to agree with you here and the expansion does a lot to fix this. However, I have won several games by pressing my luck more than my opponents (building more point buildings, less defense buildings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AF = Alien Frontiers
KF = Kingsport Festival
Kg = Kingsburg

philtrees wrote:
sevorges wrote:

Depends on what you mean I guess. I was enthralled with this game when I first played it, liked the expansions too. However, I lost interest in due time. When playing with certain non-gamers, games would take half an hour per player, which was a bit too long for my tastes. Another big strike was it was hard to get in games with that same non-gaming group. This game maxes out at 5p, and they are that type of group who doesn't believe in splitting up to play games. We often had 6p+.

I hear complaints how if you can get an Embassy in by end of year 2 or beg. of round 3, you should win unless someone else does the same thing, or you get unlucky and lose a building (which you won't recover from). Adding in expansions doesn't seem to help as much. Well, the solider tokens and Event cards can throw things in for a loop, but everything else is optional, so it doesn't force any new strategies on them anyways.

That said, I don't mind going through the motions. However, it usually takes a back seat to many other games I'd rather be playing.

AF, still WP w/dice. However it can scratch the same itch for some, but be completely diff. for others. There is more direct interaction, so it feels like there's more control. The cards also mix things up. The "boomerang" of one player getting the lead, then another after players gang up on the original leader can lead to long games, but AFAIK, on average, it's about "as bad" as Kg.

KF. The theme intrigued me. Lovecraft, and you're playing as one of the bad guys (a cultist) arrrh You want the world to end, but you still need to keep your sanity. The art may be more "bleak" and less bright, but I honestly don't let art be a deal breaker if the game mechanics and fun factor still stand. Some things I like here are how they addressed issues with Kg... if you keep rolling too high here a lot , you run low on Sanity and lose Cultist Points (aka VP). Building "tech tree" uses concentric circles or a web, instead of a grid, so you can branch out and try more buildings from a single, initial path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
28green wrote:
Fishwick wrote:

I think the entire reason there are two catchup mechanisms IS to counter a player that is consistently rolling higher.

I guess that's true. I just don't see much opportunity to separate players by skill with the huge luck/catchup/random king roll factor. I doubt win rate is much influenced by experience or ability. Everyone bunches up and is just separated by whether luck favours them or not. You're also punished for progress by other people being compensated if you build? Not saying it's a bad game, but I like ones where your decisions are based on having information available to influence them. Much prefer Troyes' use of the dice for placement, as I think there's more room for calculation, combinations and planning etc. I have to say I only played Kingsburg once though, but I normally get a fair sense of the strategy of games even then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishwick wrote:
For me:

In Kingsport Festival, if you lose too much Sanity in such a case that you're either forced to assign some dice or so on the X spot to regain Sanity, or lose 1 VP/Cult Point for each Sanity you can't pay (although FTR thus far, I'd still rather take the penalty in Cultist Point lose... the resources on the tier 4 Advisors/Ancient Ones are too good to pass up).

28green wrote:

Well, the envoy only goes to 1 player. In a 5p game, it only helps one person. I feel it's a "too little, too late" sort of thing.

28green wrote:
Fishwick wrote:

I tend to agree with you here and the expansion does a lot to fix this. However, I have won several games by pressing my luck more than my opponents (building more point buildings, less defense buildings).
I'm disappointed how many still never used the variant for rolling a single die. Instead:

roll 2 dice (d6). Take the difference and add 1. The "bell curve" there is 2 gets rolled the most, and it roughly goes -2 value from there. So here, you're less likely to get a 6 or 5, and need some more defenses than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Ylikoski
Finland
kauhajoki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Instead:

roll 2 dice (d6). Take the difference and add 1. The "bell curve" there is 2 gets rolled the most, and it roughly goes -2 value from there. So here, you're less likely to get a 6 or 5, and need some more defenses than usual.

So, you mean that: 6 - 5 + 1 = 2 ?

Sounds legit, got to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Interesting; we'll have to try that next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NagareboshiFin wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Instead:

So, you mean that: 6 - 5 + 1 = 2 ?

Sounds legit, got to try it!
Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Meyer
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
Very nice review..I have the expansion, which adds more variety..I find Kingsburg as a great 'wine and cheese game'....not too much AP, as one finishes one glass of wine and starts on another, the vagaries of Lady Luck and dice rolling become less annoying but there is enough decision making to be enjoyable.
I have laminated all of the card board bits (including the strips of buildings in the expansion) so spilt wine won't destroy all of my hard working rolling dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
AF = Alien Frontiers
KF = Kingsport Festival
Kg = Kingsburg

philtrees wrote:
sevorges wrote:

Depends on what you mean I guess. I was enthralled with this game when I first played it, liked the expansions too. However, I lost interest in due time. When playing with certain non-gamers, games would take half an hour per player, which was a bit too long for my tastes. Another big strike was it was hard to get in games with that same non-gaming group. This game maxes out at 5p, and they are that type of group who doesn't believe in splitting up to play games. We often had 6p+.

I hear complaints how if you can get an Embassy in by end of year 2 or beg. of round 3, you should win unless someone else does the same thing, or you get unlucky and lose a building (which you won't recover from). Adding in expansions doesn't seem to help as much. Well, the solider tokens and Event cards can throw things in for a loop, but everything else is optional, so it doesn't force any new strategies on them anyways.

That said, I don't mind going through the motions. However, it usually takes a back seat to many other games I'd rather be playing.

AF, still WP w/dice. However it can scratch the same itch for some, but be completely diff. for others. There is more direct interaction, so it feels like there's more control. The cards also mix things up. The "boomerang" of one player getting the lead, then another after players gang up on the original leader can lead to long games, but AFAIK, on average, it's about "as bad" as Kg.

KF. The theme intrigued me. Lovecraft, and you're playing as one of the bad guys (a cultist) arrrh You want the world to end, but you still need to keep your sanity. The art may be more "bleak" and less bright, but I honestly don't let art be a deal breaker if the game mechanics and fun factor still stand. Some things I like here are how they addressed issues with Kg... if you keep rolling too high here a lot , you run low on Sanity and lose Cultist Points (aka VP). Building "tech tree" uses concentric circles or a web, instead of a grid, so you can branch out and try more buildings from a single, initial path.

If the embassy is the building that gives you VPs each round then I broke it on my first play. It seems that is the only way to play if you wanna win. I won even though I rolled poorly and everyone blocked me deliberately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
AF = Alien Frontiers
KF = Kingsport Festival
Kg = Kingsburg

philtrees wrote:
sevorges wrote:

If the embassy is the building that gives you VPs each round then I broke it on my first play. It seems that is the only way to play if you wanna win. I won even though I rolled poorly and everyone blocked me deliberately.
That's the one. On the very bottom row (base game... no 6th and 7th row added) with the Crane.

At the end of each Production season, you may spend one +2 token to get 1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
philtrees wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
AF = Alien Frontiers
KF = Kingsport Festival
Kg = Kingsburg

philtrees wrote:
sevorges wrote:

That's the one. On the very bottom row (base game... no 6th and 7th row added) with the Crane.

At the end of each Production season, you may spend one +2 token to get 1 VP.

If a ninny like me can break it after one play, it shows me this game is pretty crap... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Ylikoski
Finland
kauhajoki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

If a ninny like me can break it after one play, it shows me this game is pretty crap... shake

Well, that killed the conversation beautifully... whistle

...I`ll get my coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

The game has flaws, but I don't think it's crap. Embassy route is powerful but risky. I think one major aspect of the game is that there isn't a way to stop a runaway leader (no real take-that mechanics). This was mentioned in the review, as well. Of course, some people don't like take-that actions, so it's tough to say it ruins the game. The winter battles aren't usually all that devastating, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Ylikoski
Finland
kauhajoki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

I think one major aspect of the game is that there isn't a way to stop a runaway leader (no real take-that mechanics). This was mentioned in the review, as well. Of course, some people don't like take-that actions, so it's tough to say it ruins the game. The winter battles aren't usually all that devastating, either.

I should have addressed this issue more in my review. There usually comes a point in game when the last player just knows that there is no way to catch up and it can be a bummer to motivation. Luckily this isn`t a long game and you can try to make your moves better in the rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm disappointed how many still never used the variant for rolling a single die. Instead:

results of program to calculate the odds if anyone's interested....
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Kingsburg variant where you roll 2 dice, take the difference, add 1
ONE = 6 , at 16.6666666667 %
TWO = 10 , at 27.7777777778 %
THREE = 8 , at 22.2222222222 %
FOUR = 6 , at 16.6666666667 %
FIVE = 4 , at 11.1111111111 %
SIX = 2 , at 5.55555555556 %

odds of rolling that number or higher....
ONE or higher 100.0
TWO or higher 83.3333333333
THREE or higher 55.5555555556
FOUR or higher 33.3333333333
FIVE or higher 16.6666666667
SIX or higher 5.55555555556
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

I would love to see you try to explain that to my brother. In our games (we always have three players) he often wins with the farm strategy when playing against the embassy strategy. I estimate that he has around a 50% win rate in those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.