Hide
9 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Card Draw to the Max rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amara Taylor
msg tools
How often have you played a game of Dominion in which you've just gotten into a draw cycle that has never stopped?

Sure, it's easy enough if you set it up and try, but when you just pick cards at random and then find yourself overwhelmed with how long each turn takes, well... The good thing about card draw is that you get more cards that your initial 5. The bad thing about card draw is how much it draws out the game.

You'd think this wouldn't be bad...

I've played Dominion a few times, so I sorta understood how this game worked. Or, at least, how to get ahead early and stay there. And that, in short, is card draw. Get as many cards as possible, and you'll be able to buy whatever you want. (I also managed to buy a Mine on the first turn because I had 5 coppers in my hand. It was wonderful.)

My opponent caught on very quickly, however, and he started buying up the card draw, too. But because neither of us could tell who was winning, we both tried to drag the game out while expanding our own lead. This, of course, lead to situations like below:

'I'd like to Village into a Village into a Village...

The first one was my opponent. The second was mine. There were also funny situations in which we would play a Spy to reveal a Spy, or a Market into a Market. And then there were Throne Rooms into other Throne Rooms... The game got complicated and headache-y very fast.

Also, using a Cellar to discard a Cellar because I had nothing else to discard in my hand.

In the end, I managed to win. Barely. The Gardens were what really decided it.

He had 56 cards in his library. I had 60. Talk about a close victory.

There was one instance, however, that left us both scratching our heads.

My opponent used a Throne Room and doubled a Cellar. He then discarded an Estate off of the play. For a second, we both sat there until he questioned whether or not he got to draw two cards, because the effect was doubled. I putzed around on the internet to find some sort of answer, and we both decided that he got to just use the Cellar twice, as if two copies had been played, but I'm still not sure if that was right. The Throne Room is a very interesting card, but it also makes things super complicated, and without somewhere to check the rules (at least, not that I could find), it makes the game unnecessarily tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmaraTaylor wrote:
My opponent used a Throne Room and doubled a Cellar. He then discarded an Estate off of the play. For a second, we both sat there until he questioned whether or not he got to draw two cards, because the effect was doubled. I putzed around on the internet to find some sort of answer, and we both decided that he got to just use the Cellar twice, as if two copies had been played, but I'm still not sure if that was right.

It was right. The card does not say "play a card and double its effects". It says "play a card twice". Not always the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
[q="I've played Dominion a few times, so I sorta understood how this game worked. Or, at least, how to get ahead early and stay there. And that, in short, is card draw. Get as many cards as possible, and you'll be able to buy whatever you want. (I also managed to buy a Mine on the first turn because I had 5 coppers in my hand. It was wonderful.)[/q]

This is why I promised myself I would stay away from these boards in 2015. By solving Dominion, OP has effectively ruined my long-term investment in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throne Room really isn't so complicated. You play an Action card, then you play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmaraTaylor wrote:
How often have you played a game of Dominion in which you've just gotten into a draw cycle that has never stopped?

Sure, it's easy enough if you set it up and try, but when you just pick cards at random and then find yourself overwhelmed with how long each turn takes, well... The good thing about card draw is that you get more cards that your initial 5. The bad thing about card draw is how much it draws out the game.
For one of my groups, we either forbade branch actions, or severely limited them b/c the turns were becoming too long.

On BSW.com, I would grab something in the other room or check up on something while other players played out their entire hands. Amazing what you could get done in 4 to 7 minute intervals. I'm convinced that Dominion would work better as an Async game, even though "interrupts" like Militia would slow the game down waay too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brgrdemonpart2 wrote:
"I've played Dominion a few times, so I sorta understood how this game worked. Or, at least, how to get ahead early and stay there. And that, in short, is card draw. Get as many cards as possible, and you'll be able to buy whatever you want. (I also managed to buy a Mine on the first turn because I had 5 coppers in my hand. It was wonderful.)

This is why I promised myself I would stay away from these boards in 2015. By solving Dominion, OP has effectively ruined my long-term investment in this game.

This is sarcastic, right?

Anyway... I've never found a Dominion game, even with lots of card drawing, to take that long before your next turn. With experienced players, you've just drawn your next hand before you're going again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmaraTaylor wrote:
My opponent used a Throne Room and doubled a Cellar. He then discarded an Estate off of the play. For a second, we both sat there until he questioned whether or not he got to draw two cards, because the effect was doubled. I putzed around on the internet to find some sort of answer, and we both decided that he got to just use the Cellar twice, as if two copies had been played, but I'm still not sure if that was right. The Throne Room is a very interesting card, but it also makes things super complicated, and without somewhere to check the rules (at least, not that I could find), it makes the game unnecessarily tricky.

Well, I'm looking at the part of the rules that explains individual cards, and for Throne Room it says "You pick another Action card in your hand, play it, and play it again. [...] You completely resolve playing the Action the first time before playing it again." Which seems pretty clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmaraTaylor wrote:

I prefer the opposite: Get your deck to five cards and buy a Province (or slightly more difficult - Colony) every turn while keeping your deck at five cards. Sure, you need specific cards, but Shortest. Turn. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I remark that you played with 11 kingdom cards set ...
A set should comprise only ten.

Garden is a kingdom card and not a always present victory card.

If you play All your games with garden, no wonder they may be loooooong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.