Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Understand this game is only readily available as Winners Circle.
For those who may have played both, it is easy to tweak the
new version to play like the old if that is your preference?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not the expert, but the Winner's Circle rules have a small section that indicates what to do to play using the Royal Turf rules. My understanding is that the tweaks were minimal from the original, so, yes, you can easily play Turf with Circle.

Now, who want to explain to me why the rules state that you can play with the great horses of history like Secretariat, for example...and then the game doesn't have Secretariat in it? You'd think they'd name a horse they had put in the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't played Winner's Circle - so take the following with a grain of salt....

IIRC - Winner's Circle is a random draw of horses. As a result, you could end up with multiple horses that have a the same number for the "horse head" result.

IIRC - Winner's Circle has the colours starting in the same order each race.

In Royal Turf, the horses range from 1 to 8 as the horse head number. Albino is the 1, Othello is the 7. In addition, the starting order changes depending on the card draw.

Therefore, at a minimum, you would need to draw horse cards until numbers 1~7 are represented for the 7 horses. In addition, you start the horses in the order drawn, so if the first horse drawn is the 5 horse head, that horse starts first. Keep forgetting (thanks Nick) that the cards are a single colour in WC, so impossible to do this. Just assign the horse head numbers randomly as Nick suggests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
I haven't played Winner's Circle - so take the following with a grain of salt....

IIRC - Winner's Circle is a random draw of horses. As a result, you could end up with multiple horses that have a the same number for the "horse head" result.

IIRC - Winner's Circle has the colours starting in the same order each race.

In Royal Turf, the horses range from 1 to 8 as the horse head number. Albino is the 1, Othello is the 7. In addition, the starting order changes depending on the card draw.

Therefore, at a minimum, you would need to draw horse cards until numbers 1~7 are represented for the 7 horses. In addition, you start the horses in the order drawn, so if the first horse drawn is the 5 horse head, that horse starts first.

The first part of this is correct: You draw cards for each horse, but if you get the same "horse head" number as a previous card, you draw a new one until you have numbers 1 to 7 on the board.

The second part is unnecessary. The random start positions in Royal Turf are done because the black horse is always the 7 "horse head". In Winner's Circle, the black horse always starts at the back, but could have any "horse head" number from 1 to 7, so it amounts to the same thing.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.