Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading in Game Trade magazine this month an article about theophrastus. In the article it said. When you are playing into your own formula you can play as many cards as you want even if it excceds what theos formula says you need for example the theophrastus card says you need 2 elements.

You are allowed to play as many as you want, say, 4. Then at the end 2 of them just count for zero.

Is this something understood? Have most of you played this way? I have alwyas played that you are only allowed to play 2 if all you need is two. So which way do most people play?

I feel as though being able to play as many as want would make this game a little less strategic, in a way you could just always put out whatever you wanted and put as many as you like to just hope and match more.

So lemme know, is this a rule that is said somewhere and I just missed? Or have others played the way I have always played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Chase
United States
Lowell
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Josh,

You ask an excellent question. On page 8 in the rulebook, it explicitly says that you cannot have more Reagents in a category than those listed on the Parchment. However, in the true spirit of experimentation (which I think Theo himself would have appreciated), I would like to encourage Theophrastus players to try out a new rule, that you can have "overage". I wrote that into the article since I think this strategy would be interesting, and I encourage players to do this during demos. Try it, and tell me any feedback you have.

Best,

Phil (P.R.) Chase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Phil, it's been a while since I checked back here. It seems as though it might be an interesting variant, though I love the way the game plays already. I will give it a try and when I do I will be sure to come back and tell what I thought of it. Take Care

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Chase
United States
Lowell
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cool, Josh, please do.

Funny--I played Theo with a couple of good friends last night and the one friend hand't tried my "overage" rule. He said he didn't really like it that way. So maybe my own opinion will be gradually changed if enough people report back that it's not really so good. It's just me, I guess--I have a fear of commitment to that Nitre, Vitriol, Mercury that I played too hastily...I have to push the boundaries of my Reagents categories!

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally i don't like this variant at all. One of the most significant choices a player could make is what card to play in theophrastus formula in order to match his ingredients. The players should not add more cards than it is required to their own sets neither. A player could keep adding cards in his set, hoping that eventually will get the right combination. Or later, possibly guessing or even knowing the regeants in Theophrastus formula, he could alter or add the right cards exceeding the appropriate limit. Not good at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.