Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the aftermath of Essen settling down, it's time for me to compile another games order in time for Christmas. As a result, I'm looking for any advice that anyone can give me as to the language-dependency level of the following games:

Die Macher
Saulen Der Erde
Iliad
Hermagor
Graenaland
Balam
Khronos
Through The Ages
Midgard
Imperial
The End Of The Triumvirate
Yspahan
Medici vs Strozzi
Blue Moon City - "100% language independent other than the rules" - thanks Jesse
Leonardo Da Vinci

Any advice or help on any of these games that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City -- 100% language independent other than the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the Valley Games version of Die Macher is language independent. Printed instructions are in English and other languages are included on a CDROM. All components are also language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Iliad is published by Asmodee you can get either the English or French version for sure. The English version is fairly language independant the only text on the cards is the name of the unit. All the cards have symbols on the side as to what it can attack. It comes with a quick referance which has more text describing the cards. As long as you get a translation of the rules, it wouldn't be difficult to play. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooze_uk wrote:
With the aftermath of Essen settling down, it's time for me to compile another games order in time for Christmas. As a result, I'm looking for any advice that anyone can give me as to the language-dependency level of the following games:

Die Macher - NEW EDITION, OK
Saulen Der Erde - GERMAN TEXT ON CARDS
Iliad - OK FOR BOTH EDITIONS
Hermagor - OK
Graenaland - OK
Balam - ASK FOR ENGLISH EDITION
Khronos - OK, WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND THIS?
Through The Ages - OK, WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND THIS?
Midgard- OK
Imperial - OK
The End Of The Triumvirate - OK
Yspahan - OK
Medici vs Strozzi - OK (JUST ARRIVED!)
Blue Moon City - "100% language independent other than the rules" - thanks Jesse
Leonardo Da Vinci - OK

Any advice or help on any of these games that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Blue Moon City has an English version in the states...and has for awhile (because it's been on my to-buy list for a long time through Amazon)...has it not come out in the UK yet? Or is it just cheaper to get the German version?
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German games are invariably cheaper than getting the US English versions. US versions are usually made in Germany, shipped to the US then shipped to the UK and can be up to twice as expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooze_uk wrote:
Saulen Der Erde

Has some text on the special cards but since only two of these are drawn every round (= 12 cards during the entire game), you can easily cope with this using a player aid.

Quote:
Khronos

Completely independent, and comes with English rules. Good luck in finding a copy

Quote:
Yspahan

Completely independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher
New international version is language independent.

Saulen Der Erde
A fair amount of German text on the cards.

Iliad
Asmodee English version now available.

Hermagor
Mind the Move version is tri-lingual (incl. English). Rio Grande version is on the way and will be the same.

Graenaland & Through the Ages
IIRC this is an international version, but you'll have trouble finding a copy.

Balam
Not sure.

Khronos
Rules are tri-lingual (incl English), game is language free. Don't know where you'll find this one at the moment though. Rumour that Rio Grande are picking it up.

Midgard
Not sure.

Imperial
Board and components are English on one side, German on the other in the Eggert version. Not sure about teh Rio Grande version.

The End Of The Triumvirate
Z-Man version is in English.

Yspahan
Game is completely language-free, however at the moment only German boxes (with German rules) are around. Other versions will be out very soon, but you'll only get one set of rules in the English,French, or German versions.

Medici vs Strozzi
Box is dual language, German and English. Components are language free.

Leonardo Da Vinci
Game is language free. Rules are in English in the Mayfair version and downloadable from Da Vinci if you have their version.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saulen der Erde had a lot of text on specific character cards. I think these have a large bearing on the game, given it is derived from a novel. It looks unplayable in German for non-German readers to me.

Saulen von Venedig also has german text on cards, but this can easily be handled with a crib sheet and the symbols on the cards make it simple.

Don't get your Saulens mixed up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.