Star Wars: Armada» Forums » General

Subject: Maneuver Tool Assembly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Christian
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect my copy to wait for me at my place when I return from Easter vacation. I scanned the rules and now I'm quite daunted by the Maneuver Tool Assembly - it looks like it might easily be damaged during the process. Any bad (or good) experiences with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an image in the rules that show how to do it (hook one side in first then press the other in), after that you push in the little numbered cardboard pieces, when I had them where they were supposed to be, I laid it flat on the table and pushed on them with the grip of a hammer, it's not really difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
The nice thing about the tool is that it's *slightly* soft plastic, so very forgiving when you squeeze it together. When I assembled mine, it was clear that it would be hard (though perhaps not impossible, so don't do this drunk!) to damage it during assembly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinkle
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no trouble putting it together bare-handed. As Matt said, the plastic is slightly soft so there's little brute force needed. I worry more that that plastic will start to wear away through continued adjustment of the tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That said on the numbers, one side has a slightly rounded edge to it where the die made the cut in the cardboard. The numbers seem to go in easier if you put the round edge face-down. It also makes the numbers fit fairly flush in the template as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Christian
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starfleetdroid wrote:
boromir78 wrote:
I expect my copy to wait for me at my place when I return from Easter vacation. I scanned the rules and now I'm quite daunted by the Maneuver Tool Assembly - it looks like it might easily be damaged during the process. Any bad (or good) experiences with that?

Luckily FFG will be selling a Maneuver Tool accessory if you do break it (I know you won't anyway).

I'll do my very best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Christian
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviesign wrote:
I had no trouble putting it together bare-handed. As Matt said, the plastic is slightly soft so there's little brute force needed. I worry more that that plastic will start to wear away through continued adjustment of the tool.

In a presentation video by german gaming Group Orkenspalter (or was it just the Name of their youtube-channel?) a HDS staff member (german FFG-partner) didn't show true confidence in the durability of the tool. So I think a backup is a good idea. It seems the tool is quite hard to replace with something else (like generic d8 for Special dice, any ruler and a laser level for SW:A-range rulers).

Thanks for your replies, can't wait to hold it in my hands!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chan
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When putting in the numbers with "normal" side up, it was incredibly tight.
Needed to put the tool upside down on a table and push.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cw2chan wrote:
When putting in the numbers with "normal" side up, it was incredibly tight.
Needed to put the tool upside down on a table and push.

Same here. (And wow, I've never wanted to make an off-color comment about a post so badly in all my time here on BGG...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fairly easy BUT in my zeal to get the game assembled I was dumb and attached the end and front piece together before realizing it. Don't do that. They can come back apart if you are very careful and I was able to get it fixed, but I was scared to death that something would break.

I do wonder how the tool will hold up long-term myself, I also think it would be nice to have another shorter one for speed 1 and 2 maneuvers so I think their maneuver tool accessory pack will sell well (curse them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.