Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an order going in a couple of weeks of mostly a bunch of smaller games and now looking for one bigger game to top it off... Looking mostly for the better two player experience with these two as it will mostly be played by the wife and I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are quite fortunate. I, too have and enjoy a lot of heavy games, but they are rarely played by the wife and ME. She does enjoy several lighter games with me, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy playing Aquasphere; we think it makes an excellent 2p experience. We've never played Yedo, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We watched a video on Aquasphere and we were both immediately out.

We enjoy Yedo but they will say "ooh no game with two, it plays best with this number". Blah blah blah. If you add the percentage between best with two and recommended with two together and it is above 90% and you aren't the kind of gamer I am trying to identify, then you will likely be happy enough with it. Unless you are the type to research strats on bgg and will only be playing this game and this game only over and over.

Look, those that say that can continue to play those two player perfect games with all of that solidity and can continue to be uber strategists and I will gladly continue to be mildly confused and always satisfied with two player Rococo and two player Yedo, which I find to be a cut above most of the average titles out there. They aren't cheap trash. They are more special than the popular titles.

I find game groups and the majority of gamer type people real annoying. Yet I really enjoy playing board games with my wife and a lot of times as much for the game itself as for the company.

For us even 70% total recommended with two titles have been good enough. We vary our gaming selections up a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite fortunate in that we both enjoy a wide range of games from heavy to light based on our mood at The time.

Yedo has been on our radar for awhile and Aquasphere because we like the looks of the board and and want a heavier game.

Other games in this order

Valley of the Kings
Great Heartlands Trading Company
Suburbia
Vivajava The Coffee Dice Game

Then a couple others to play with our teens
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Sheriff of Nottingham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Yedo, one of my favorites. But it can be a little mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heartland Hauling and Suburbia are fine pick ups for sure. I might look at Cinque Terre instead of Heartland Hauling though. You aren't going wrong with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are quite good, though probably not at their best with only two. I personally enjoy Aquasphere more, but I think that's just because Yedo doesn't have much in the way of an arc. Other than acquiring weapons and things you need to complete quests, I never felt like it became that much easier to do so as the game went along.

That being said, Yedo incorporates a lot of different mechanisms in a way that works well. It kind of feels like a kitchen sink game, though worker placement is mainly what you're doing.

I'm a big Feld fan, and while Aquasphere isn't my favorite of his, it's growing on me very quickly. From a purely objective standpoint, I think it could very well be best design to date. It has that point salad feel, but unlike his past games, you almost have to dabble a little bit into everything to do well. I'm enjoying it more and more with each play, and unlike Yedo, I feel like there's a lot to explore beyond the first few plays.

You can't really go wrong with either game. I think Yedo is slightly better with just 2 players, just because Aquasphere with two feels a little too restrictive on what you can do, but both games are solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife really enjoys Yedo, less so with more people as the game tightens up, and she does prefer to play without the "Samurai" options. I highly recommend looking up Rahdho's Youtube videos on both games, as he plays through with a specific eye on two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna have to rewatch Rahdos videos of these two ... It's been awhile since I watched them and if memory serves me I didn't care for his video on Aquasphere... Not that I didn't like the game just though it was a poorer video for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NSYakfisher wrote:
Gonna have to rewatch Rahdos videos of these two ... It's been awhile since I watched them and if memory serves me I didn't care for his video on Aquasphere... Not that I didn't like the game just though it was a poorer video for him.

There's a Watch-It-Played video on Aquasphere that is quite good, and a followup that shows a couple of turns. You really have to see it played to understand what is going on, and Rodney's video is clearer than Rahdo's in this case (to be fair, rahdo was doing his with a prototype game very early on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players I would personally go with Aquasphere (but if you want a meaty euro that plays truly excellent with 2, take a look at Le Havre).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal recommendation is Yedo - the only drawback that I will note is that the initial turn bidding will be a bit dry with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games! Yedo is a very long game (between 2 and 4 hours) and AquaSphere is a medium length game (between 1.5 and 2 hours). Both are great.

A lot of people have said that AquaSphere feels very restritive, meaning you can't always do what you want on your turn, or that you have to plan everything very carefully or you will put yourself in a position where you can't do what you want to, and they didn't like that aspect of it.

Yedo, like all worker placement games, has the similar issue, of people going in the spot that you wanted to go to.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the information... Right now I want them both so it may come down to get one now and one later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also think how thematic you want your game to be.

Yedo has a great theme of sending ninjas around town, carrying out assassinations and eventually trying to kill the shogun. Aquasphere has a lot of theme for a Feld game, but it's less thematic.

I view Yedo as a bit like the game Lords of Waterdeep wanted to be - if that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither, Lords of Waterdeep with expansion is WP gold. Yedo plays way too long and the moves become scripted halfway through. Aquasphere is another Feld with new paint. There are others much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All ready have Lords of Waterdeep and exspansion ... One of our favorites at all numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.