Popular Tags: [View All]
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing a lot of ships from the Core set as separate expansions as well. Is this going to be like X-Wing, where the specific X-Wing, Y-Wing, and TIE expansions had different cards from the Core set? Or would it be good enough to just get two Core sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the expansions will have different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Do we know how many new cards are in the three big ship expansions in wave 1?

I'd thought (but of course can't find it anymore...) that it was few, maybe 2, new cards with each expansion. If that's the case, it seems a second core set is a better deal than the 3 expansion ships. Especially given that the core set is more likely to go on sale or have a steeper discount than the expansions will.

And I'm sure there will be a spoiler image up somewhere if I want to "try before I buy" any of those new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

I'd thought (but of course can't find it anymore...) that it was few, maybe 2, new cards with each expansion. If that's the case, it seems a second core set is a better deal than the 3 expansion ships. Especially given that the core set is more likely to go on sale or have a steeper discount than the expansions will.

And I'm sure there will be a spoiler image up somewhere if I want to "try before I buy" any of those new cards.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/1/30/take-co...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/1/16/star-de...

Only found these 2 topic with picture of some cards.
Would like to help you more but my country will receive the game in late April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can of course, simply buy the few upgrade cards you desire on the singles market as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

From what I've seen on the FFG site, each expansion comes with a minimum of two new cards. One new Captain and one new ship's title. The blockade runner comes with two new Captains and titles I believe. So, between two and four cards for certain, plus I think each carries at least one new upgrade of some sort, weapon or other.

As to cost of buying two core sets versus one and expansions and dice....

You're talking $200 US for two dice sets, two VSDs and Frigates and Corvettes, and twenty fighters.

Versus one core set, and a second dice set, and a second VSD and Frigate and Corvette and new cards, and twenty six fighters with more than just TIEs and X-wings and new cards for $230. If, you're going to be collecting both sides.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't mind paying an extra $30 for six extra fighters and new cards and new fighters. But, each to his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
$100 Core set
$40 Rebel Assault Frigate
$30 Empire Gladiator Destroyer
$20 Rebel Fighters
$20 Empire Fighters
$40 Empire VSD (2 extra cards)
$20 Rebel CR90 Corvette (2 extra cards)
$20 Rebel Frigate (2 extra cards)
$10 Dice pack
$8 Maneuver tool
$308

vs.

$100 Core set
$40 Rebel Assault Frigate
$30 Empire Gladiator Destroyer
$20 Rebel Fighters
$20 Empire Fighters
$100 Core set
$310 (many extra fighters, lots of duplicate cards, some of which should be helpful, but you don't get the 6 new cards from the expansion ships)

Pretty equivalent. But the core set is much more likely to go on sale than the expansions. So if you're looking for a bargain, the flip side of that makes it look like those 6 extra cards might be a little expensive.

If it really is only 6 unique cards that we'd miss, I might consider the latter plan to get the extra starfighters and duplicates of helpful upgrades, the range ruler, etc. Not entirely sure just yet...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Core set: 4 squadrons, 18 upgrades.
Gladiator: 10 upgrades
Victory-SD: 14 upgrades
CR-90: 8 upgrades
Nebulon: 8 upgrades
Assault Frigate: 14 upgrades
Fighters: 8 squadron cards each.

between the 7 upgrades there are 46 cards not available in the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're comparing apples and oranges. If you look at mattprice's comment, I'm comparing one core set versus

$10 Dice pack

so it's only 6 extra cards, not 46.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badalchemist wrote:
You're comparing apples and oranges. If you look at mattprice's comment, I'm comparing one core set versus

$10 Dice pack

so it's only 6 extra cards, not 46.

How do you know that it's only 2 extra cards each?
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2302318/star-wars-armada-vict...
Shows at least three uniques, which I assume won't come with other packs. Also a few cards that don't come with the core and are not unique.

I don't have similar spoilers for the others, but I think your assumption of only 2 otherwise unavailable cards per pack is a bit off.

Edit says:
The spoiler Article here
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/1/30/take-co...
already includes 6 cards (out of 8) for the corvette and 4 (out of 8) for the Nebulon that are not part of the core set IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ah, OK. I'd also heard two cards each that were unique to the VSD, Frigate and Corvette. Buying those three expansions to get just those 6 cards didn't sound that compelling. But it sounds like maybe it's not quite clear yet.

I reckon I'll wait until the three sets come available, and decide once I know how many new cards I'd be missing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/40283/armada-spoilers

This is the most complete listing that i have seen. Might help your decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Ah, OK. I'd also heard two cards each that were unique to the VSD, Frigate and Corvette. Buying those three expansions to get just those 6 cards didn't sound that compelling. But it sounds like maybe it's not quite clear yet.

I reckon I'll wait until the three sets come available, and decide once I know how many new cards I'd be missing

Most seem to be coming with 2 "unique" titles, as in the game term unique. But there will also be other cards that seem to be unique to the expansions or at least won't be in the core. I didn't double check whether some of them also come in other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way to know the number of new cards until everything is spoiled but there are a bunch of them (we don't have full spoilers of most but can tell from partial shots there are a lot, roughly 22?). To make it more complicated some cards are replicated across the core and multiple expansions (such as Gunnery Team) but these are generally cards you may want to play multiples anyway.

I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing a set of the expansions instead of an extra core if the choice is only between those two options. Being locked into just the core commanders takes a huge part of the customization away from the game. More squadron choices is a huge deal as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvette product description says 8 upgrades (not including the 2 unique ships you get that differ than the 2 in the Core.)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-arm...

Frigate also lists 8:

Victory lists 14 upgrade cards:

Based on what has been spoiled, it seems likely that its more than 2 cards per set that are unique to the set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
23-28 new (and different) upgrade cards

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/10/expand...

Glancing at just that single link, there appear to be a minimum of 18 new different upgrade cards. There are at least 5 new cards shown in other articles not in the photos so make that 23.

Possible max of up to 29 new and different cards but far more likely to be 28 max as at least one of the unknown is probably an engineering team, the only core non-unique not shown.

Note that they don't show any duplicated cards in the CR90 or Nebulon B expansions. Possible that every upgrade card in those two are new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.