Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Im designing a board game that uses hexes as its board. I picked up some poster board and used one of my Eclipse Hexes to make a template for one Hex, then used that to make more and more... almost 40 hexes later I put the hexes together to make sure they all fit... and they don't, the dimensions warped slightly each and every hex, and I dont know how I did it honestly.

How do you recommend making hexes? Is there a place I can just buy Cardboard Hexagons I can use to test my game until its finished? Then ill get it made using professional materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tweedt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Find another game that uses hex board pieces like Magic Realm or the like and use that to trace out a master template piece on thick cardboard. Then cut that out and use that as your guide for every hex you cut out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can purchase blank hex tiles from Print & Play Productions. You could then use removable sticker labels to draw or print your game related stuff. Cut out the sticker label and attach to the hex tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can purchase blank hex tiles from Print & Play Productions. You could then use removable sticker labels to draw or print your game related stuff. Cut out the sticker label and attach to the hex tiles.

I need 4" hexes, the biggest they offer sadly is like 2"

Ill have to try to template cut them again, ill just have to be extra careful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
So Im designing a board game that uses hexes as its board. I picked up some poster board and used one of my Eclipse Hexes to make a template for one Hex, then used that to make more and more... almost 40 hexes later I put the hexes together to make sure they all fit... and they don't, the dimensions warped slightly each and every hex, and I dont know how I did it honestly.

How do you recommend making hexes? Is there a place I can just buy Cardboard Hexagons I can use to test my game until its finished? Then ill get it made using professional materials.

The most common mistake is making hex #1, using hex #1 to trace hex #2, using hex #2 to trace hex #3 etc.

Make sure that the first hex you make (hex #1) is the only hex you use to trace the rest of the hexes, otherwise you are slowly multiplying all of the slight variations from one to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... If you have a graphic design software (Photoshop, Inkscape...) create 4in hexes on a page. You should be able to fit 6 on a page? Print that page on regular paper or label paper. Paste or stick the printed page to the poster board, then cut out the hexes.

Edit: You might be able to do this in Microsoft Word as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make a hexagon easily with a compass. Set the radius you want and draw a circle. take your pencil and make a mark anywhere on the circle. Keep your compass set to the original radius and set its point on that mark. Mark a spot where your compass crosses the circle. Use the new spot and repeat until you've crossed the circle in six places. Use a straightedge to connect those points and you have a hexagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Use 1/2 height offset columns of squares instead. For a prototype, squares are a lot easier to make, and offset they connect just like hexagons anyway, unless you really need something graphically on the edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nanDECK script for four 4" hexagons (on A4):

UNIT=INCH
BORDER=NONE
PAGE=8.3,11.7,PORTRAIT,HV
MARGINS=0,0,0.2,0.2
CARDSIZE=4,4
POLYGON=1-4,0,0,100%,100%,6,0,#000000,empty,0.01

Result:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.