Bill Mezzano
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
In the past week I have sent messages to 4 different users on BGG requesting their interest in a particular trade. In each case, my offers were fair and my requests were more than polite. However, I have not receive anything back from any of the recipients.

I thought maybe they just did not see the messages but it looks like each user logs in daily. Plus, 3 out of the 4 are experienced traders and have anywhere from 5 to 36 completed trades.

Is there a logical explanation for this? Can some people not see it when they get a new message? Am I being to impatient? Is this inconsiderate behavior?

I personally can't imagine not responding to a fellow user's request, no matter how disinterested I was in their offer but this seems to happen more often than not. I am probably just letting my frustration get the best of me here but has anybody else had similar experiences here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time to face facts... nobody wants "Scene it? Seinfeld".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any answers for you, but it is common enough that people have been asking the same question for years.

I think people just use BGG differently and some of them just don't respond to things that you, or I in this case, would respond to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't the only one. I was thinking the same thing about an email I sent 2 weeks ago asking a simple question about how much to combine shipping. I know they've logged in, but ...... nothing. You know what, I'm going to be that guy and call them out. Especially since they've only been a user since 2/21/2015 and the mad rush to find buyers for his games seems a little suspect given the registration date. I don't know, maybe I'm being too suspicious.

goodtimeshaxor
United States
Ashburn
VA
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prakash Madhav
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me quite a bit. In fact, the higher the trade rating of the person, the more often it seems to happen. And no, I'm not offering them lopsided trades for unwanted games. I think maybe they just get too many trade offers and have grown tired of responding? I don't know. That's a weak excuse in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Icarus8028 wrote:

I personally can't imagine not responding to a fellow user's request, no matter how disinterested I was in their offer but this seems to happen more often than not. I am probably just letting my frustration get the best of me here but has anybody else had similar experiences here?

Everybody has about the same experience. Treat trading as going hunting, not every time you fire you'll hit something.

Also, I know it's not an excuse but if I had a dollar for every time I got an insane trade request I'd be rich.

- offers for games I don't want
- offers for games I already have
- offers that don't even include the name of the game they want to trade for
- offers for a $10 game, while shipping to the US is $20 minimum

Then there's the stalkers who, after a decline, want to know why I didn't want their Monopoly Anniversary Edition. And keep re-sending the same trade offer multiple times.

So I can understand that some people are sick and tired of trading 1-1 and ignore every trade request - and just keep the "for trade" check on their games for the purpose of math-trades or as a reminder to get rid of that game in an auction or such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
So I can understand that some people are sick and tired of trading 1-1 and ignore every trade request - and just keep the "for trade" check on their games for the purpose of math-trades or as a reminder to get rid of that game in an auction or such.
That makes sense to me. I could see that being the case.

Icarus8028 wrote:
In each case, my offers were fair
I'm certain you felt they were fair... but just because the games have a similar market value doesn't always make them a fair trade to the person you're approaching. Looking at my own "for trade" and "want in trade" lists for example, there are items in my "for trade" that I would be happy to part with in a heartbeat, but other things that I'm reluctant to trade... they're good games I like, but they're not getting played in my group. And there are items in my "want in trade" list that I desperately want to get, and some that I was merely curious about. So if you approach me with a trade offer and you want an item I'm reluctantly parting with, I'm not going to view a game I'm "just curious about" as a good trade. They may have the same market value, but my goal isn't to make money, it's to have good games on my shelf.

And honestly, the shipping costs on trading games mean that if you're offering a trade of 1 game for 1 game, I'm probably not going to view it as a good trade offer. Unless it's a game I really want and can't find easily, I'm going to pass on anything except a multi-game offer.

That being said, I always reply to trade offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    At times I've had requests come in when I'm already in negotiations with someone else and I want to let things play out before responding.

Other times it's just not something I'm in a position to answer or am not in a position to complete the negotiation. I have a guy right now trying to work something that I'm sort of interested in, but he's trying to expand the deal and talk about money to sweeten the deal and other options. It just doesn't mean that much to me so other things are taking priority.

I usually respond to first requests, but sometimes they just seem absurd. Something you value may not mean as much to the person on the other end of the wire.

Quote:
I'm certain you felt they were fair... but just because the games have a similar market value doesn't always make them a fair trade to the person you're approaching.

The guy I'm working with right now is figuring his trade item (a magazine insert) is more valuable because it's unpunched, when the first thing I'm going to do when I get it is punch it. I'd prefer it punched. In theory it has a market value of a few bucks because it's harder to find, but I'm just not that interested in it and its condition doesn't mean much of anything in the equation.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
People probably have something else they would rather do with their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest trade offer I got was for a game I already own ... and that's not the craziest one I ever got
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

- offers for a $10 game, while shipping to the US is $20 minimum

I actually buy quite a few games from Germany where shipping cost is more than the game. This is because some games just aren't available here and have to get it from Germany.

EDIT: Messed up my quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you send a polite note, you deserve a polite response. And if you, like myself, are unwilling to send a GM to a second person when you are waiting for a response from the first person about the same thing, it's particularly inconvenient.

But yeah, it happens. And it shouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm certain you felt they were fair... but just because the games have a similar market value doesn't always make them a fair trade to the person you're approaching. Looking at my own "for trade" and "want in trade" lists for example, there are items in my "for trade" that I would be happy to part with in a heartbeat, but other things that I'm reluctant to trade... they're good games I like, but they're not getting played in my group. And there are items in my "want in trade" list that I desperately want to get, and some that I was merely curious about. So if you approach me with a trade offer and you want an item I'm reluctantly parting with, I'm not going to view a game I'm "just curious about" as a good trade. They may have the same market value, but my goal isn't to make money, it's to have good games on my shelf.

And honestly, the shipping costs on trading games mean that if you're offering a trade of 1 game for 1 game, I'm probably not going to view it as a good trade offer. Unless it's a game I really want and can't find easily, I'm going to pass on anything except a multi-game offer.

Couldn't have said it any better! OP needs to read this! I get many offers that look fair on the surface but in most cases aren't strong enough for me to accept the trade. For instance, I get a lot of offers for Castles of Mad King. I do want to trade it but its new, popular, and a great game. I'm not going to trade that for your old copy of an abstract like Through the Desert just because its a little hard to get. Fair to YOU is not always fair or good enough for the person you are trading with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't have said it any better! OP needs to read this! I get many offers that look fair on the surface but in most cases are strong enough for me to accept the trade. For instance, I get a lot of offers for Castles of Mad King. I do want to trade it but its new, popular, and a great game. I'm not going to trade that for your old copy of an abstract like Through the Desert just because its a little hard to get. Fair to YOU is not always fair or good enough for the person you are trading with.

Baloney.

Regardless of whether the offer was tempting to the recipient of the polite GM, the courteous thing to do was to decline and not to ignore. The OP - if we are to believe him - was not being a pest, or unreasonable. That's the only reason why the fairness of his proposal matters: just so we know he wasn't being obnoxious. Whether the other person was willing to accept the offer is beside the point of the OP, which asks only why there was no response.

"Fair" has nothing to do with it, except that (as I understood it) OP's offers were not disrespectful. He did not deserve to be treated as a beggar in the streets, a member of the great unwashed who could be ignored without shame upon recipient of the GM.

My own experience is similar to the OP's. Normally my queries about trades are ignored. I'm puzzled by the poor manners of the people who would do that, and I'm grateful for those who behave otherwise. Say no, say yes, I don't care, but please say something so I can move on and try to find my game elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often need to think about it and then just forget.

But it is possible I am the only person in the world who makes mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
I often need to think about it and then just forget.

But it is possible I am the only person in the world who makes mistakes.
There's a difference between forgetting and choosing to ignore. I've been guilty of forgetting sometimes but that's not the same as ignoring someone who has been courteous to you. It happens often enough that plainly some people are choosing that path, and are not simply forgetting.

And when I did forget, I sent a note a couple days later apologizing, but hey, that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.