Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help my group figure something out; is the Gunslinger terrible?

The four of us in my group that play this use the U.S. Marshal, the Nun, the Rancher, and of course, as my question suggests, the Gunslinger.

So here's the thing;

We often play this with all 4 players, but sometimes it'll be some combination of less players, with myself as the U.S. Marshal being the common denominator.

If we all play together, the Gunslinger, now at level 3 with the rest of the group at 4, just doesn't bring much to the table while the Marshal and Rancher make with the killing, while the Nun buffs/debuffs and works in the occasional Shockwave for good measure.

I've played without the Gunslinger in the group in every combination, and we honestly never miss him.

Marshal/Rancher: we just shoot all the things, without an Epic boss fight, it's pretty safe for all damage, no healing.

Marshal/Nun: slowly move forward, Nun uses powers as needed while the Marshal handles the tough monsters with his shotgun prowess.

Marshal/Nun/Rancher: we honestly just carry on blasting forward, while the Nun adds that extra "cherry on the sundae" with either more Combat or more magic, depending on how it's going.

You add the Gunslinger into any of those, and nothing changes, except the Gunslinger just sort of shoots something sometimes, and that's about it.

Are there any good builds out there? For reference, the Gunslinger took Hushed Whispers and Cool Hand for the level-up traits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't contribute much to a four player game but in three player I have found him very useful. Started with the skill that let's him shoot whenever new enemies are placed on the board which can be a leg up in an ambush. In addition this combined with a well timed special shot can also take down some of the medium to large monsters.

there is some more discussion here which

Advice from a Licensed Gunslinger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is your Gunslinger useless??

Our Quickdrawin' Gunslinger quickly outpaced the rest of the party in XP. He's slowing down a bit now, at level 6, because he doesn't have the damage boosts the other heroes have (outside his 6-shooter), but he still does quite well.

The combination of Quickdraw + high initiative means the Gunslinger usually gets 2 rounds of shots off before anyone else. Give him a pistol with lots of shots and some darkstone bullets and he's a killing machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm in the camp that thinks the gunslinger is pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be playing combat wrong. Don't forget you roll all your to-hit rolls first (i.e. all the shots), then you assign one at a time which hit goes to which enemy and roll damage. For example, with his starting pistol, he rolls 2 dice. Scoring a 3 and a 6, that's 2 hits, one of which is a crit. He can assign the crit hit to that pesky Night Terror, bypassing his armor. Rolls enough damage to kill it (gains the appropriate XP), so assigns the second hit to a lingering Void Spider, and rolls damage. He kills that one too, and gains more XP.

Also don't forget that figures do not block LOS to enemies (so the Gunslinger can be behind the front lines and still shoot). Both those mistakes we made in our first few games, and since we corrected, the Gunslinger is incredibly powerful (at least at lower levels), and this is without using his special bullets (which are great against the tough badguys). Get him a second pistol, and he's down right amazing.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the other posters, the gunslinger is amazing.
My group have been playing with the Marshal, Priest, Rancher and Gunslinger. The gunslinger has been doing the most of the killing.
With two of the better guns he/she shoots around 6-shots per turn (usually before enemies activate) hitting at 3+, with D6+1/2 damage (depending on ammo used). That quickly racks up a lot of kills from the smaller critters. Our priest often used the +1 Damage sermon on the gunslinger as well, adding insult to injury.

The rest of our group has often been assigned to deal with the larger monsters (or just clean-up duty).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the missing ingredient was that our Gunslinger took Pistol Fanning, where Quick Draw seems to be the way to go.

I can see how that would make a big difference, for all the ambushing that tends to roll off, especially with the Darkness and Growing Dread and random Scavenge/Encounter happenings.

I can't think of one time Pistol Fanning ever paid off, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband's Gunslinger took Fanning the Pistol and he uses it to great effect at least once a game. Our group is made up of his Gunslinger (tears chunks out of the big guys), my (melee/tank) Saloon Girl, and our friend's hedge-trimmer Rancher (buzzsaws through the weenie guys). Everyone has something to focus on, which allows everyone to shine. It doesn't hurt that my husband's Gunslinger got an item that boosted his initiative and an initiative levelup bonus, so he goes before every creature except ambushing bats.

Our group is disgusting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One and Only Noir
Germany
Walldürn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be that the experience with Shadows of Brimstone varies by the combination of Heroes. The Gunslinger in combination with Marshal AND Ranger might be a bit of a let down, but Gunslinger, Preacher and Indian? Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitfield
Australia
flag msg tools
I am surprised you say this. Our gunslinger with quickdraw has always been the first to level up and as he acquires better pistols this has gotten so bad some of the party want to share out experience because between gunslinger and the piano player they leave very little for the rest. Quick draw starting ability seems to be an incredible bonus and really racks up the xp before the rest of the party even get going. I think it is one of the best character classes.

Personally I prefer my British Piano Player and my White Scout (he can't use tribal) but the gunslinger is probably in the top 2 best characters and a must for a party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin T
msg tools
Our Gunslinger is far and above the most powerful member of the team. We usually only have 3 players, Gunslinger, Marshal and Bandito and that's about the order of their effectiveness.

The Gunslinger is dual wielding (No Crits) a Void Pistol and a.. something else with multiple shots, rolling something like 7 dice without Cool Hand and has an Initiative of 7.. so he gets to go first even during some Ambushes.

Hell, he's like two levels above everyone else and usually has to confer with the group in order to not kill everything on the damn board so the poor ol' Bandito can get a kill.

I won't play Explosives Expert Bandito ever again, I can tell you that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doos wrote:
I won't play Explosives Expert Bandito ever again, I can tell you that.

Why?!? Our Bandito uses it many times a game and ends up usually with the most kills in the game (followed closely by the Gunslinger or Outlaw, depending on which is playing). Dynamite is extremely good at throwing after the monsters have choked up in a new room, and clearing half if not more of that room. Being able to generate dynamite whenever you have grit is awesome! Especially since the Bandito regens grit on a roll of a 1 *or* a 2...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin T
msg tools
This is just my experience with City of Ancients.

First and foremost, my rolling with dynamite has been atrocious. I've thrown a lot over the 2 dozen or so games we've played and I've killed a handful of creatures. Because I always roll 1's. I grit, re-roll a 1.

Second, ranged to hit is 5+, so the dynamite almost always bounces, which has gone ok, but never great.

Third, dynamite doesn't scale. Once Brutal enemies with elite abilities come out and their health increases, dynamite is basically slightly helpful for little gain and high cost. Unless it's a room full of spiders.

Even with a max grit of 5 I rarely consider trading it in for a dynamite token.
It's much better for me to use it to re-roll damage or to-hit rolls because melee is far better suited for the Bandito. I roll with a Cavalry Sabre as well so I can usually do both and dynamite throwing when I could use The Judge instead? Not very often I'll pick the former.

Right now, my Explosives Expert Bandito is thriving in the world because I've mutated the hell out of him. The Orb of Rokal and a Dark Stone Beltbuckle make the game a ton of fun.

That's just my experience though. The crate of dynamite my Bandito bought was full of duds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doos wrote:
I've thrown a lot over the 2 dozen or so games we've played and I've killed a handful of creatures. Because I always roll 1's. I grit, re-roll a 1.

You know that you roll damage separately for each enemy when throwing dynamite right?

Page 27:

"When the Dynamite explodes, it does D6 Wounds, ignoring Defense, to each model in the same and adjacent spaces to it. Roll the Damage for each model separately. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between his high initiative and "Quickdraw" my Gunslinger is a force to be reckoned with. He takes damage easily though due to the 5+ save, but we have a saloon girl and preacher that supply plenty of healing, so it's really a non-issue.

Not to mention I found "The Judge" artefact pistol early on (3 shots and uses the 8 die to hit with 6,7,8 being crits). That with quickdraw and the saloon girls hold out pistol means we clear most small groups, even ambushes before they descend upon us.

A compatible party build can make any character great, but this also goes the other way. Sounds like the OP's Gunslinger just doesn't fit his party well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
With 6 players, our quickdraw, plasma arc/orb of rokal wielding gunslinger is so good as to detrimentally affect the game for other players. One pre-fight shot that can wound/kill several enemies, then switch around weapons to get the orb out to kill anything medium or smaller. Other than plenty of trips to the doctor scrapping corruption off his bones, he's a killing machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Between his high initiative and "Quickdraw" my Gunslinger is a force to be reckoned with. He takes damage easily though due to the 5+ save, but we have a saloon girl and preacher that supply plenty of healing, so it's really a non-issue.

Not to mention I found "The Judge" artefact pistol early on (3 shots and uses the 8 die to hit with 6,7,8 being crits). That with quickdraw and the saloon girls hold out pistol means we clear most small groups, even ambushes before they descend upon us.

A compatible party build can make any character great, but this also goes the other way. Sounds like the OP's Gunslinger just doesn't fit his party well.

We just found The Judge while doing the Lost Journal mission. The group had a lot of "Artifact" pulls from the Loot deck draws each time we had the opportunity, and out it came.

Perhaps that, combined with Pistol Fanning, will allow the Gunslinger to keep up with our Marshal and Rancher on the damage dealing side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
How is your Gunslinger useless??

Our Quickdrawin' Gunslinger quickly outpaced the rest of the party in XP. He's slowing down a bit now, at level 6, because he doesn't have the damage boosts the other heroes have (outside his 6-shooter), but he still does quite well.

The combination of Quickdraw + high initiative means the Gunslinger usually gets 2 rounds of shots off before anyone else. Give him a pistol with lots of shots and some darkstone bullets and he's a killing machine.

Not sure if this is legal but I have been letting my gunslinger toss dynamite for his quickdraw... Almost always hits and clears a group of low/mid health monsters quickly. Then at initiative 7, I almost always get the next attack and I void pistol one of the bigguns with my deadeye shot and usually blackrock rounds. Fun times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
Not sure if this is legal but I have been letting my gunslinger toss dynamite for his quickdraw.

Not legal since Dynamite isn't a 1 Handed Gun.

Quickdraw is sufficiently superior to fanning that it probably needs to be nerfed (Cost a Grit seems the most obvious possibility, though costing the gunslingers next attack or reducing the gunslingers initiative to 0 until his next activation would differentiate it more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Beholm wrote:
Not sure if this is legal but I have been letting my gunslinger toss dynamite for his quickdraw.

Quickdraw is sufficiently superior to fanning that it probably needs to be nerfed (Cost a Grit seems the most obvious possibility, though costing the gunslingers next attack or reducing the gunslingers initiative to 0 until his next activation would differentiate it more).

I read through the card for Quickdraw and it says nothing about ANY type of gun. Just says you get a shot when enemy figures are placed. I don't have the card on me (it's my brother's game) but I checked it last Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing Dynamite isn't doing a Shot though, it's a different type of action. A shot is rolling to hit, then damage, going through armor, etc. Dynamite, you roll range, then a separate dice damage for each figure, bypassing armor, etc.

I would say that you cannot use QuickDraw to throw dynamite.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
dahak wrote:
Beholm wrote:

I read through the card for Quickdraw and it says nothing about ANY type of gun. Just says you get a shot when enemy figures are placed. I don't have the card on me (it's my brother's game) but I checked it last Sunday.

Page 16 of the City of the Ancients Adventure book requires it to be a Gun. You need a spare hand so absent the appropriate tail mutation it has to be a 1 handed gun.

Dynamite is not a gun, one or two handed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification! I fell into the trap of thinking the card text was all encompassing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't think so, but you have to be careful how you build or it's a serious glass cannon that just sponges from the rest of the team.

In that regard my GS has "Catchphrase" to help with the squishyness, serpent helmet (he actually mutated and merged with rocks recently so thinking of giving the helmet to someone else).

Uses a modded Hunting Rifle with a DS inlay and a grip (and has the talent to use shots with it) for big game, and a gripped Executioner's Pistol for the first round at least (in case of quickdraw or low def enemies).

He performs pretty well with any of the setups we play in, the trick I find is to let everyone else go first and hang back with the rifle it helps to mitigate a lot of the damage and just carry a lot of bandages and herbs for everyone else mainly (dynamite is pretty much useless past level 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Throwing Dynamite isn't doing a Shot though

In my Shadows of Whiskeystone it is.

(See Variant subforum for beta rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.