King of Tokyo» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Pacifist Monkey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Carreno
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
So I've played this game a bunch since a friend of mine bought it (he LOVES it), and I have lukewarm feelings about it. However, a game got particularly interesting when my friend decided that the King character, whom usually no one picks, is actually a pacifist. A pacifist monkey, if you will. And then decided to play him, with his own personal rule of always rerolling attacks, if he can, while only taking energy, points, and health, if he needed it. The events went loosely like so.

The game begins; Giga Zaur, Meka Dragon, Cyber Bunny, and Pacifist Monkey go in, but only one will come out on top. Meka Dragon makes the first move by taking Tokyo and gaining a bunch of energy, which he stockpiles. Giga Zaur hits Meka Dragon hard, but Meka Dragon sticks to its guns and stands its ground. Cyber Bunny rolls mostly energy and smacks Meka Dragon only in passing. Then comes Pacifist Monkey; he rolls some energy and 3 points and grabs Camouflage, ensuring he won't need to keep health rolls as often. Meka Dragon collects its points for staying on Tokyo and rolls energy but only one hit. Pacifist Monkey gets away with Camouflage. Meka Dragon buys Burrowing and decides to pursue a Tokyo based strategy; he hits the group. Giga Zaur wants to hit Meka Dragon REALLY REALLY BAD but just doesn't have the rolls for it and instead collects a point and some energy while love tapping Meka Dragon. Cyber Bunny hits Meka Dragon and mostly collects more energy. He buys Made in a Lab and Monster Batteries; he's going in for an energy strategy. Pacifist Monkey is up; he rolls a bunch of energy and some health and buys Herbivore, thus beginning true Pacifist Monkey mode. Meka Dragon happily collects more points and feels rather good about itself; it whacks the group some more and gains some energy which it sits one. Meka Dragon wants a Spiked Tail and everyone knows it. Giga Zaur is next and hits Meka Dragon a little. Meka Dragon wants a break from Tokyo and lets Giga Zaur have it for a bit, dealing him 1 damage. Giga Zaur didn't roll the health he needed but rolled enough energy to snatch up Spiked Tail before Meka Dragon could. Cyber Bunny tries to roll energy, but rolls a mish-mash of points, an attack, and an energy. Giga Zaur didn't really like this Tokyo thing so much anyway and lets Cyber Bunny take it. Pacifist Monkey manages to roll another 3 points and a bunch of energy and buys Omnivore. No one questions how Pacifist Monkey can be both an Omnivore and Herbivore, while he collects his Herbivore point. Meka Dragon is peeved that Cyber Bunny is warming its throne and rolls attacks against him, but Cyber Bunny has no intention of letting Meka Dragon take Tokyo. Meka Dragon seethes and heals. Giga Zaur wants health and is determined to get it, but mostly rolls a whole bunch of nothing a couple health and an attack. Cyber Bunny gladly passes the baton to a confused Giga Zaur. Cyber Bunny regains some health grabs some energy and smacks an unhappy Giga Zaur, who is quite harmed now. Cyber Bunny buys Intimidating Roar as Giga Zaur lets him into Tokyo and Meka Dragon starts to understand what's going on here. Cyber Bunny has caught onto Meka Dragon's strategy and has no intention of letting him have Tokyo again. Pacifist Monkey comes around and just wins lots of points. Meka Dragon keeps trying for Tokyo while Cyber Bunny keeps getting in his way and Giga Zaur keeps getting stuck in the middle; all the while Pacifist Monkey grabs points upon points and eventually everyone becomes aware that he's winning. But it's already too late. All he needed was that early start of points and after that, with no way to target him directly,the King proves that his name isn't just for show by picking the right cards and getting a bunch of points.

I thought it was pretty fun to see a strategy pay off that is so opposite of the game's design, but is actually supported by cards like Herbivore. Obviously, there was some serious luck involved and of course the other players had to be distracted enough to let him keep getting points under their noses for a while. My friends have tried Pacifist Monkey a few times since then and it always gets close to winning, but has never quite gotten to go off quite as well as the first time. It's fun to play though and I highly recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hall
United States
South Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One match I had that luck won for me basically had me kill everyone off by rolling a punching yahtzee twice in a row in tokyo. It was a fast game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The King is an ape, not a monkey, but if he is a pacifist then you probably don't have to worry too much about making that kind of mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.