Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bodrero
United States
Tremonton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea that wouldn't really be an expansion, but hopefully an extra strategic dimension. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try this idea yet. Anyway, here it is.

In Ark (and I assume mainstream Carcassone) you have the ability to force a player to score by finishing a road or city for them. The way this could get interesting is instead of using the standard scoretrack that comes with the game use (now I can already hear the stones flying through the air, but hear me out) a Chutes and Ladders board for the score track. Advance on that board per standard Chutes and Ladders rules and you can hopefully score the right amount of points to climb a ladder or kindly finish off someones road or city for them so they get to go down the slide.

Like I said haven't been able to try it out yet, but I would like to hear comments from anyone who has. Don't hate the idea just for Chutes and Ladders. The idea was to have more of a dynamic scoretrack for use in games to make them a little more interesting. What other games are there that you can control when other people score points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bodrero
United States
Tremonton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I tried out the Chutes and Ladders scoretrack idea last night. It changed the game more than I thought and certainly can make the game very cut-throat if the players choose.

If you choose to play this way, do not by any means forget to move the Ark when you are able. That is the perfect way to get the one or two points to climb a ladder or kindly give a point to your opponent to send them down a slide.

I have heard of and practiced a strategy to build a sort of island full of your followers so that you can reap tons of points off of the Ark since nobody wants to you points by removing it from your island. This idea helps to counteract that strategy since it is all too easy for people to give you points that end up sending you backwards on the scoretrack via the slides.

This "variant" if you want to call it that, is much more fun than I had expected. For how cheap Chutes and Ladders is, it wouldn't hurt to go get one if you don't already have one so you can try it out. Then again, you may have to suffer beratement from fellow gamers if you don't have a child that you state as a reason for having a game that is essentially only a score track.

Happy to hear others' opinions and comments on this idea.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.