Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just found out that BatteLore won't be at GenCon SoCal. I really wanted to see it before dropping the bag of money on it. I love playing BattleCry and Memoir with my wife because of how simple they are, but I want BattleLore to be for me, and therefore a touch more complicated.

So, the one question that GenCon was supposed to answer for me is: Are their activation cards different from BC and M44? What I really want is somethine like Warmaster, where if you really need a unit to do something, you have a chance to influence its chances of moving (in WM, that would be moving a better leader over near it). If the activation cards are the same as BC and M44, then if you don't draw a Right Flank you are entirely boned. Or is there an entirely different mechanic for this concern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
The are similar to Memoir, or more accurately C&C Ancients. Most of them are by the flank, or general advance, etc. Then there are some that will move units of a certain color or type (e.g. move blues, or fire with archers, and fire twice). Some depend on being in formation. I don't have the cards in front of me, but this is what I remember from one play. If you want to move a particular guy, you'll need the card for that (some lore cards can help you move as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chantigny
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game, what makes it different is the spells. Those spells can make a unit move a certain number of hex, give them more "speed", make them throw more dices etc...

I can say, after playing 2 games (a base one and an advance with spells), that it IS a bit more complicated than Memoir 44, even in its base form. I cannot speak for you, but for me, it's a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Graham,

As someone who has the game , here's what partially (but not totally) answers your concerns re the cards activation, off the top of my mind:

- There are cards that activate units based on their flag color, in addition to the cards that activate units based on their position (the section cards of M44 and BC) and cards that activate unit types (archers, cavalry, ...). So in that sense, it is somewhat easier to line up a series of successive moves;
- More importantly, in the advanced version, you get to decide, when you form your War Council, how many levels your Commander will have, hence how many command cards you play with. If you want more flexibility/less luck of the draw on activation, systematically choose a level 3 Commander, which will give you 6 cards to choose from.
- Some Lore cards activate additional units, above and beyond those of the Command cards played that turn. Examples include Portal, Greater Portal, ...
- Creatures can be played out of section, ie you can use a Right Wing section card to activate the Spider in your Left Wing, by paying a supplemental cost of 3 Lore.

There might be additional things that will further fit the Warmaster activation type you're referring to, but these will all be down the road (ie in expansions).

Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alywin Fruge
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
An additional, mostly-on-topic question:

Does it look like the card stands will allow me to use clear plastic card sleeves on my BattleLore cards? I don't have M'44 or C&C:A, so I don't know if the card stands work wth card sleeves...

Anyone see card sleeves being successfully used in BLore (or one of the others)?

Thanks!
A-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game, but what I found from scanning various sources can be found here: http://www.battleloremaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69

It is obviously by no means a complete list, and people with early copies could fill in details, but until then, it gives a feeling for what the cards will hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.