Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of RITD today. This was our first real blockgame - we've played Memoir & C&C:A - but a lot of the concepts in RITD were quite new to us.

We played the 1940 Scenario, primarily because unit numbers were relatively low and this would mean that we had less to "manage".

During month 4, we had the following situation:

I had units in Bardia & Sidi Omar. I had a single Armor unit SE1 from Sidi Omar. There was a battle in Sollum in which I was the defender.

My opponent had a number of units in the Sollum battle. He had 3 units in Buq Buq and 2 units back in Alexandria. It was my turn.

All my units are supplied at the start of my turn. I moved my single Armour unit from SE1 of Sidi Omar to the vacant hex of Sidi Barrani. My single armour unit is now unsupplied but since it was supplied at the start of my turn it is not disrupted and it can still battle, cut supply lines, etc (12.1).

My opponent takes a turn. He now has a number of unsupplied units at initial check. He moves 2 of his units from Buq Buq to Sidi Barrani (this is the most he can move 7.1). A battle ensues in Sidi Barrani in which I am the defender. However, my opponent is unable to eliminate my (unsupplied but undisrupted) single armour unit. As a result the units that were unsupplied at the start of his turn (the units battling in Sollum, the single unit left in Buq Buq and the units battling in Sidi Barrani) all become disrupted. The disrupted battling units are immediately eliminated (Sidebar Rules, page 14) and the solo unit in Buq Buq is disrupted.

With only 2 units left in Alexandria and me receiving re-inforcements next month, my opponent resigned.

I ask whether or not we interpreted the rules correctly? Have I missed something obvious? I was happy to win, of course, but it seemed a little unfair that my opponent (who was probably ahead up to that point) could have virtually his entire army wiped out by a single (unsupplied) tank unit holding out in a battle in a single hex. I can see that he made an error in not attending to the supply line situation and I am sure a more experienced player would have not allowed this. Nevertheless, my single tank unit became unsupplied before any of his units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds correct to me. The supply rules are unforgiving of this game. If the Allies had left a single unit in Sidi Barrani, that would have been enough to maintain supply, even if that unit was attacked by your armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying. I understand the importance of supply and the Sidi Barani hex seems crucial to the Allies (at least in the 1940 scenario). I'm still not sure that it makes sense that my Armor Unit is unsupplied for "longer" (ie, the end of my turn and all of my opponent's turn) than my opponent's units (just his turn)yet it "survives" whilst his is disrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You understand the rules correctly. It is a mistake to left flanks unguarded. One reason I rate RitD so highly is its emphasis on logistics.

May I suggest that you try the Crusader scenario for your second game now that you have got a first taste in mobile war. To prevent the same disaster from happening again, remember to always have a second line of reserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying. Just to drive your message home, in the very next game we played my opponent did the same to me - he did an offensive move and used one of his tanks to cut off my entire army.

We're going to have a go at Crusader next but it's clear we have a lot to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.