Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Poole
England
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi anyone who read my last thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/134428
'General Games Workshop Games Tabletop Queiry?' will remember I was trying to find out if the GW line of games were good games/hobby to get into.

It raised some excellent points and offered loads of advice, so with that in mind, I would like to ask some follow on questions that are relevant to the original post in my search for answers. (Sorry if I should have continued my original thread, but I'm a noob)

What got you in to GW Games?

How Long have you been playing/collecting them? and are you still involved with the hobby?

What armies do you have? (size in figures)

and finally roughly how much have you spent on the hobby?

Thanks in advance for your time in answering this queiry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garypoole wrote:
What got you in to GW Games?

Well, I played Space Hulk and Talisman way back in the day and then Fury of Dracula and some other GW boardgames in the 90s (like Horus Heresy.) I had never gotten into the modeling games (Warhammer Fantasy, currently on its 7th Edition; Rogue Trader, which became Warhammer 40K 2nd Edition, and now up to 4th) because I always figured my artistic skills weren't sufficient (read: non-existent.) But, in 2000, I was finally getting out of my M:TG addiction and poking around for something else to do. A friend of mine who played 40K and Fantasy and my wife (believe it or not) convinced me to pick up 40K, so I did, and discovered that the painting requires more patience than talent. Imagining a snowball starting at the top of a snow-covered mountain would not be an inappropriate image here...

garypoole wrote:
What armies do you have? (size in figures)

It's usually easier for me to answer that question in terms of 'points' (i.e. 6000 points of Dark Eldar, etc.) But I'll try:

40K:
Dark Eldar (250+ infantry, dozen or so vehicles)
Chaos Space Marines (around 100 infantry, half a dozen vehicles)
Necrons (80 or so infantry, 1 vehicle (the Monolith, all you'll ever need))
Sisters of Battle (120+ infantry, 10 or so vehicles)
Imperial Guard (100 or so infantry, 4 vehicles)
Space Marines (couple dozen infantry, no vehicles; just started.)

Also, when I say 'infantry', I'm including things like jetbikes (Dark Eldar), bikes (Chaos), Destroyers (Necrons) and so forth. Those are normally more expensive models, in both point and dollar terms. When I say 'vehicles', I'm including things like walkers (Dreadnoughts for Chaos, Penitent Engines for Sisters, etc.)

Fantasy:
Had well over 100 infantry and monster/vehicle models for both Lizardmen and Tomb Kings; sold the former, traded the latter.
Current is Ogre Kingdoms: several dozen models (Ogres cost a lot of points, so you'll have far fewer models than most other Fantasy armies; also, Fantasy armies will very frequently have more models in them than equivalent points cost of 40K.)

Battlefleet Gothic:
50-60 Chaos ships
2 dozen Necron
1 dozen Dark Eldar
30 Imperial

Epic:
Imperial Guard
Chaos
Eldar

Um, hard to tell. Keep in mind that Epic is a 6mm scale game (meaning the average trooper is only 6mm tall, whereas 40K/Fantasy are 28mm) so I have HORDES of infantry and vehicles for this game. Far more than any sane person should probably want.

Necromunda:
Delacque: 15 models
Spyrers: 20+ models

Mordheim:
Possessed: 13 models

Blood Bowl:
20 models

garypoole wrote:
and finally roughly how much have you spent on the hobby?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahhahahah... ahem... sorry. Quite a bit. I once considered selling my Dark Eldar for a brief moment and tallying up the retail cost ran it well into four figures. That's one 40K army, albeit my largest. Keep in mind, too, that a lot of armies and units can be obtained for cheaper than retail on Ebay and I most certainly have done a lot of that over the years (just picked up 13 Sisters Repentia ($78 retail) for $12 a couple weeks ago.) So, it's not overly difficult to slide under the retail impact, but you can still expect to drop some coin. Also, as people noted in the other thread, it's relatively important to have a community of other players (however large) to play the games with. The most likely place for said community to gather is the local game store, since they'll often have available play space and perhaps even terrain. The way said store stays in business is by you and them spending money there, so I wouldn't devote myself exclusively to Ebay, either (I do it because we are currently bereft of a local store and I won't pay GW's ridiculous shipping costs for plastic.)

Apologies for the novel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got into GW, sepcifically warhammer fantasy after moving to Seattle and finding it dominating game stores. Picked up models and paints for something to do while recovering from blown knee and surgery.

I've now been playing warhammer since winter 2002. This includes some campaigns, tournaments and many pick up games.

I have five armies including Dwarves, Dark Elves, Vampire counts, Ogre Kingdoms and Wood Elves. The VC army is the largest and can easliy mass over 4,000 points with over 200 models. My Dark Elves and Dwarves are over 120 models each. Ogres have about 80 models (only because gnoblars are so cheap). The Wood Elves remain unpainted but, I have about 50 of them.

It's never cheap. Assembling any army takes a minimum of about $300 plus paint and glue.

That said, the game is fun to play and never quite the same way twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an army. But I have seen a few. Fantasy battle there was this guy who had a huge bit of plyboard set up as the battleground, stretching almost to fill his bedroom (with space for bed and furniture). Anyway, his army was so big that in addition to deploying at his end of the table, he had part of it deployed at his opponent's end! I think the opposing army might have been his too...anyway he won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes. Forgot about the Gnoblars. So, change the OK to 'several dozen Ogres' and about 35 Gnoblars (one unit of Warriors, several Trappers.) I'm big on Ogres in my OK army (little joke there...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Talisman when I was 8, which got me completely hooked on the Games Workshop bug. I got a bit dismayed with the direction they took things in the 90s but got back into their stuff about 6 years ago when I started collecting a 40K army (i'd just started working after finishing university and had to spend my money on somthing!).

I've got a pretty huge imperial guard army (must be around about 4000 points .... maybe more). When it comes to collecting a Warhammer army, E-bay is your friend (particularly for bulking out your army with regular troopers). However, despite using e-bay extensively I've still spent a fair bit on it over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.