Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: reccomendations for similar games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Bedford
Australia
kedron
QLD
flag msg tools
I know this must have been brought up before, and I know there's a trillion geeklists for every conceivable gaming niche/requirement, but maybe someone could indulge me here.

I've been playing RftG with my wife recently, and its a great game! But by far the best bit is that it can be set up very quickly, and generally only takes 30 - 60 minutes a game. Perfect for exploiting the occasional little gaps of free time our toddler allows us.

Can anyone recommend other simple, yet deep/strategic card games? And preferably ones that don't take up a huge physical space during play.

We tried dominion intrigue, but it didn't quite grab me.

Thanks in advance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it has a board, it is in fact a card game and would fit your criteria: Saint Petersburg

You might also give Ascension: Deckbuilding Game a closer look (although it is - like Dominion - a deckbuilder). The same is true for Eminent Domain.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy
Innovation
Glory to Rome
Seasons, this one takes a bit of table space and might take up more than an hour occasionally for two players.
Deus

The last two happen to have some non-card components as well, but they're mostly cards.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i have yet to play, but Star Realms got many good reviews
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bedford
Australia
kedron
QLD
flag msg tools
Cool.. thanks for the recommendations guys.

I was actually looking at seasons the other day, that has piqued my interest a little. The others I'll have to look into now.

The card game part wasn't a total necessity - it's just they seem to often be quicker to set up and more compact. I mean I love Robinson Crusoe, arkham horror etc.. but they really monopolise the coffee table space!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bedford
Australia
kedron
QLD
flag msg tools
star realms is another one that has caught my eye. Although sounds like there might be a bit too much direct confrontation for the wife laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChimps wrote:
I know this must have been brought up before, and I know there's a trillion geeklists for every conceivable gaming niche/requirement, but maybe someone could indulge me here.

I've been playing RftG with my wife recently, and its a great game! But by far the best bit is that it can be set up very quickly, and generally only takes 30 - 60 minutes a game. Perfect for exploiting the occasional little gaps of free time our toddler allows us.

Can anyone recommend other simple, yet deep/strategic card games? And preferably ones that don't take up a huge physical space during play.

We tried dominion intrigue, but it didn't quite grab me.

Thanks in advance


It's not a card game, but in all other respects it fits exactly the niche you are describing:
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
For the "depth" part make sure you get at least one if not both expansions, I'd suggest getting both right off the bat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League and Race are the only two games that I've repackaged to deck boxes for easier transport.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any games I like as much as RFTG, but you could try Harbour for some two player worker placement that plays in under an hour. It does have some strategy to it, but there's a lot of randomness too. It also comes in a very small box and should be pretty cheap.

Star Realms is great and does play in the right amount of time. While it is about direct conflict, it doesn't have that in-your-face-confrontation feel about it. There's a free app if you want to try it out before deciding to spend money on it.

Others to look at (based on quick set-up, low table space usage, < 1 hour play time and low confrontation):
Lost Cities
Battle Line
Hanabi (co-op)
Hive (get the "pocket" version)
Fairy Tale
Carcassonne (a bit more space using than the others)
Jaipur
Revolver 2: Last Stand at Malpaso
Council of Verona
BraveRats (a couple of minutes per game)





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
veenickz wrote:
i have yet to play, but Star Realms got many good reviews


IMO, if you are a fan of RftG, Star Realms will fade rather quickly due to the saminess of so many of the cards. I found Star Realms to be rather fun at first, but now I find it quite dull.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ascension, but I play it with 6 expansions + 5 promo packs on iOS so I don't have to mess with shuffling and dealing with 900+ cards.

For that matter, I only play Dominion on my phone nowadays.


Roll For The Galaxy should be good enough in terms of space with just 2p (a dice game with tiles )

Innovation works great as a 2p game.

Glory To Rome too if you perhaps make some tweaks

Roll Through The Ages (not a card game, but a dice game)

Masters Gallery/Modern Art: The Card Game (basically, Modern Art without the auction mechanic).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Stefan Feld's Roma and Roma II which have a small board/tiles and some cardboard money token components, but are otherwise card games and get good reviews. I picked up a copy of Roma for cheap but have not played it yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bedford
Australia
kedron
QLD
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! There's so many cool looking games out there. I guess its just a matter of enough money to buy them, and enough time to play them.

I think the two I might start with next are ascension (because it sounds and looks neat), and seasons (because I saw a cheap copy near me on the geekmarket). But just about everything else looks like it'd be worth a try too down the track.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChimps wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! There's so many cool looking games out there. I guess its just a matter of enough money to buy them, and enough time to play them.

I think the two I might start with next are ascension (because it sounds and looks neat), and seasons (because I saw a cheap copy near me on the geekmarket). But just about everything else looks like it'd be worth a try too down the track.



Just want to caution you that those games are much simpler and less replayable than RFTG.

The only game that sets up as fast as RFTG and still has lots of strategic decisions is Magic: The Gathering. There is also many ways to play Magic so you can always find a way that suits your style.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one that would seem to fit your criteria is Android Netrunner, if you're okay with it being two-player only and asymmetrical (in the broadest terms, one player is the attacker, the other the defender). I haven't played it so this recommendation doesn't come from a personal place, but I know it has its avid following (as well as some detractors).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned San Juan, or is it that that game is too similar to RFTG?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spaminator wrote:
I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned San Juan, or is it that that game is too similar to RFTG?

Possibly too similar. I'd guess though that SJ is too basic once you're used to RFTG.

Don't get me wrong. I love SJ and used to play it a ton. Then race came out. Going back to SJ, I feel like I could play blind folded and still do decent. *shrug*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
spaminator wrote:
I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned San Juan, or is it that that game is too similar to RFTG?

Possibly too similar. I'd guess though that SJ is too basic once you're used to RFTG.

Don't get me wrong. I love SJ and used to play it a ton. Then race came out. Going back to SJ, I feel like I could play blind folded and still do decent. *shrug*

Well, the OP did mention deep/strategic, which IMO, is NOT SJ. Not even with the expansion.

SuperChimps wrote:
Can anyone recommend other simple, yet deep/strategic card games? And preferably ones that don't take up a huge physical space during play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.