Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Contact in a location with an explored gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olga
msg tools
mb
Hello everyone!
Yesterday we've played a horribly unlucky game, and I've got a few questions popping up.

We played a game for two, both characters were 4/6 with zero spells at the start, and the first mythos we got (pre-game) was the rumor mythos that told us to discard spells, else draw 2 mythos cards at failure and open portals from the first one.
Of course, we didn't acqure 5 spells in the first 5 turns of the game, so we were overrun quite fast.
And later we got an environment effect forbidding to close and seal gates, yay.

So based in that situation, a couple questions:
1) if we only need to open portals from the first card, and the card says (do not open any gates, instead blah blah - from king in yellow exp) - do we do the instead part? i think we do, but maaaaybe there's a loophole?
2) if an explorer passes the gate, gets the explored marker and stays in the location but doesn't attemps to close the gate (because the environment effect forbids it anyway), can he engage in contacts in this location normally? well, since he can't do anything else without leaving the location and wasting the opportunity to close the gate, we've decided that he could. but the actual rule for contacts with locations with explored gated is nowhere to be found.

ps: if an explorer stays on the location with an explored gate, and a mythos sais that a gate appears in this location, it triggers a normal monster surge? what happens to the explorer?

thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, my sympathies on your short game. It happens, but ouch.

If a Rumor is drawn during game setup as your first Mythos card, you should draw again until you draw a mythos card that isn't a Rumor. (Page 5 of the original rules.) In addition, if you draw a mythos card with no gate for the first one, discard it and draw again until you draw one that depicts a gate (revised edition rules).

If you go through a Gate and have the Explored marker, you retain it as long as you don't leave the location and can have normal encounters there in the meantime. If you leave the location, you lose the marker.

If you are Explored and at a gate, and that location gets picked again, a second gate doesn't open, so I believe you personally wouldn't suffer any ill effects. Monsters will most likely appear at that location, though, and have to be dealt with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe you get to opt for an encounter if you are on a location with a gate and an explored token but choose not to close the gate. You only have the option to close the gate or do nothing that turn. The Encounter phase is split into two sections in the rulebook "Gate" and "No Gate". There's no reference in the "Gate" section to being able to take an encounter, so I believe the Gate entirely replaces the encounter on the location. That's how I've played it at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olga,

Strictly speaking, Paul has the correct reading of the rules, in that once you leave the Other World and Return to Arkham, you receive an Explored Token and while you may remain on the Gate for an indeterminate period of time, you may not have an Encounter.

Having said that, Victor is correctly identifying a Variant used by the designer, Richard Launius as the Gate is ostensibly small in size and would be found in a portion of the Woods or the basement of the Witch House, thus you may have an Encounter.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olga
msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot everyone, but I think I still have one question unanswered.
In the case of rumors that make you draw two mythos and only resolve portals from the first card, what happens in case of a card with no portal sign? (A next act begins, don't open portals, instead add two doom tokens to the doom track etcetc)?
Do we ignore the card completely or do we resolve the replacement effect?
Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the gate matters; the rest of the card might as well be blank. If there is no gate, nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.