Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arcane Wonders just announced that they will be publishing this game as part of this line.

Not surprising after Tom Vasel's very positive review.

With the announcement of Onitama and now Royals as part of the Dice Tower Essentials line I'm seriously suspecting that Tom is peeking at my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I do feel a little that Royals in the DT essentials line is odd. I mean, Sheriff of Nottingham was long out of print, Onitama and City of Gears had no official release. Apparently, no one was interested in them, and he pushed for it to be released in the US/larger public. I contrast, Royals, which already had a German/English release from 2014.

I think Tom as a reviewer and his partnership with Arcane wonders/ DT Essentials might hurt his credibility at some point. I mean, sure he might love the game and subsequently try to get it.. but you now wonder if he was as positive because he was getting it in DT essentials line.

I hope the whole DT Essentials won't backlash and hurt his credibility as a reviewer in the end. I think it's a serious risk Tom's taking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
Yeah. I do feel a little that Royals in the DT essentials line is odd. I mean, Sheriff of Nottingham was long out of print, Onitama and City of Gears had no official release. Apparently, no one was interested in them, and he pushed for it to be released in the US/larger public. I contrast, Royals, which already had a German/English release from 2014.

I had the same feeling, but could not put it into words. There is nothing wrong with it, it just seems a little weird.

I don't think it will hurt his credibility, but who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, slightly puzzling that they are republishing a game that was only published last year...

And does that mean "ABACUSSPIELE" is going to stop printing their version of Royals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt that. Abacusspiele likely has the rights in german-speaking contries and arcane wonder probably is english speaking ones.. would be my guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it ... why is it odd? Did Tom say the DT Essentials line was supposed to be for out of print games? While Royals did have a multilingual release, there was no license for the US -- no local publisher. I don't know about the rest of the non-European world.

As for Tom's credibility, well who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I gave it a positive review was because, well, I REALLY liked it.

The reason it's in the DT Essential line is because I asked that it would be.

See the line is made up of games I bring to Arcane Wonders, not the other way around. They don't ask me to stamp approval on games, I show them games I really like.

Royals had a very limited release in Germany, and no American publisher, so I wanted to bring it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up.
TomVasel wrote:
See the line is made up of games I bring to Arcane Wonders, not the other way around.

Wasn't it the other way around with city of gears though?

In what sense do you mean the release of royals in germany was 'very limited'? Small print run? It is the first thing that shows up on amazon.de when you search for ¨royals' (even though it is a generic name) and seems to be in all their board game stores (63 different sellers on amazon who all have it in stock).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:

I think Tom as a reviewer and his partnership with Arcane wonders/ DT Essentials might hurt his credibility at some point. I mean, sure he might love the game and subsequently try to get it.. but you now wonder if he was as positive because he was getting it in DT essentials line.

I hope the whole DT Essentials won't backlash and hurt his credibility as a reviewer in the end. I think it's a serious risk Tom's taking.

Haha, u funny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up.
TomVasel wrote:
See the line is made up of games I bring to Arcane Wonders, not the other way around.

Wasn't it the other way around with city of gears though?

In what sense do you mean the release of royals in germany was 'very limited'? Small print run? It is the first thing that shows up on amazon.de when you search for ¨royals' (even though it is a generic name) and seems to be in all their board game stores (63 different sellers on amazon who all have it in stock).

Limited to Germany ... most of us (in the US) don't shop amazon.de ... the game definitely deserves a wider (US and the rest of the English-speaking world?) release!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, they showed City of Gears to me. But it still was completely my choice. I said, YES let's run with this one. They've showed me quite a few other games that I've dismissed. Some they might publish, just not under the Dice Tower Essentials line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
See the line is made up of games I bring to Arcane Wonders, not the other way around. They don't ask me to stamp approval on games, I show them games I really like.

That's pretty cool! Now, if only your tastes were more in line with mine, I'd be a very happy camper !

Of course, in this case, they do align ... but when are you going to tell AW about how great Age of Steam really is?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Royals for SDJ 2015!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know my opinion doesn't hold a whole ton of weight. I'm just your average BGGer, but I own Royals and absolutely love it.
My gaming groups are a few different groups of friends that appreciate games and by no means collects them at all. I might be the only one that even owns a game but my friends look to me to provide games and throw the game nights. So I have a couple different groups hitting me up for game nights and the one constant is this game coming up so often! 'Let's play that game with the cubes and the puzzle tiles'
I feel like I give an honest grade to games and with 70ish games rated and an average of 5.99 this game received the second 10 rating I've even given in my opinion making it an essential to any collection. Especially if you're looking for games with higher player counts (even played in with 6 once)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is tons of room (acres, even oceans of room) for all kinds of games to be in the DTE line because the only criteria is that Tom likes it enough to want to be sure it gets wider distribution AND be able to cross promote both the game and Dice Tower itself by the association (technically that's two reasons but the last being more of an effect rather than a stated goal). Royals sticks out now because the first three were mostly unknown games that obviously benefited from being in the line, but I bet that the line will more and more include a mix of those and big titles that likely would have succeeded no matter who published them. Someday this line when viewed as a whole should look like a fairly eclectic collection ranging from light to heavy, from well publicized and recognized to (before DTE) fairly obscure.

I think getting Royals will elevate the Dice Tower/Dice Tower Essentials line in the same way the first three games benefited from the exposure Tom was able to give them. Its quite a score and congratulations to Tom and Co. for getting it. I know I can't wait to get it in the states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Royals is a perfect pick for an Essentials line:

- straight-forward no-fluff (aka elegant) set collection and area influence mechanics
- thin but pleasing theme
- "family-weight"
- highly competitive without being "war", which families might not approve
- quick (turns go almost as fast as in Splendor)
- reasonable player counts: 2-5

The worst about the game, imho, is its name and cover, which are both a little bland

For Spiel des Jahres I guess it'd need a little more "innovation" or obvious fun. Also in Germany it went under the radar, as far as I can see. But maybe the Dice Tower pushes it to one or two awards in the future.

So yes, seeing a new game in the DT Essetials line is a new development, but then choosing Royals is so spot-on that I don't see any problems here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Given that Tom I think did mention in a previous podcast/Q&A that he did try to get Spyfall and/or Viceroy for the Dice Tower Essentials line, I'm not surprised by the fact that a "new game" like Royals was picked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game feels way too familiar to ticket to ride to me cry

set collection of same color cards, drawing cards in exact same manner, turning those cards in to place cubes (or trains) and getting points for owning parts of the board (or routes in TTR)... ugh

It was disappointing after seeing the game reviewed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah you are right but those were both games where at least the box was only available with russian letters on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
This game feels way too familiar to ticket to ride to me cry

set collection of same color cards, drawing cards in exact same manner, turning those cards in to place cubes (or trains) and getting points for owning parts of the board (or routes in TTR)... ugh

It was disappointing after seeing the game reviewed.

Really? Yeah, they are both games with cards and set collection. But in Royals, it's all there to drive the main game mechanism: area control. You also have a more direct way to interact with other players (the intrigue deck). Sure, both games are similar in weight (with Royals being a bit more complex, though), but to me they certainly feel different enough from one another!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Hawes was at BGG@SEA and brought 8 copies.
56 people entered a tournament - winners of the first games plus some high scoring second place players went to round 2.
The top 8 got a copy, and the high scores overall got CSI gift certificates (or vice-versa). I ended in 3rd place in my game.

Interesting there was a tie in one game, and the rules for German and English have different tie breakers (highest single token vs highest noble card taken or vice versa). Peter had trouble deciding since it was a German copy of the game but with the English rules...

Straight forward game play but good depth of strategy. A good choice for DTE and yes SdJ

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Lockhart
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have an idea as to when we can expect this to show up in the US? Very much looking forward to this one. I've seen all of the announcements regarding DTE line, but I've yet to see an estimated release date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Swingley
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
v1pe wrote:
Anyone have an idea as to when we can expect this to show up in the US? Very much looking forward to this one. I've seen all of the announcements regarding DTE line, but I've yet to see an estimated release date.

Just a heads up that Boardgamebliss has this in stock (only 3 left as I write this) and the US Dollar exchange rate is INCREDIBLY favorable at the moment. It essentially comes out to $44 before shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to jump in quickly here and say thank you for all those in support of us bringing this to the Dice Tower Line. Tom hits all the high points in his comments above about why, and we feel this will be a great game for the line.

So everyone knows, we're looking at a few small changes to the game for broad release (possibly updating some art on the board, and possibly using 1/2 size meeples vs cubes) but we are targeting releasing it later this year. As we know more from our manufacturing plans, we will announce it on our sites, and here as well.

Thanks again for you support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game and very much enjoy it. What I wonder is what AW mean when they say they are going to 'develop' it.

Seems to me the game is very well done as is. The points are beautifully balanced. The card play is simple and intuitive. I struggle to see how adding anything would improve it.

Edit: ah, I just saw the post above. I really see no need for art upgrades - it's quite charming as is. And I can't really see how adding mini meeples benefits the game either. Surely they would just add more clutter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.