Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Part 1 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1344374/dd-attack-wing-a..., I ran through the 2 adventures from the rulebook, kicking off my campaign played with my 9 year old son, Xavy. I'd not written session reports for these games, so in addition to providing more information on the story aspect of the adventures, I also gave a quick summary of how the games went. As they are designed to be more introductory in nature, those games were relatively quick. Although even for basic scenarios, they set the stage very well for the more advanced adventures found in the boosters. And most importantly, the two-adventure story serves as the prelude to the more epic story found within the booster adventures.

I've already written detailed session reports for the adventures we have played through, so I won't repeat them here. But what I didn't do in those reports is talk much about the story aspect behind the objectives, and my intent in this little two-part series was to highlight this aspect of the game. Even though D&DAW is not a RPG, that doesn't mean that story can't play a big part of the game. And in fact, the story elements that lead to objectives are one of the more appealing aspects for me. Playing straight up battles gets old quickly for me, so including an ever growing set of scenarios helps keep the game fresh.

To recap, we learned during the prelude of a plot by the evil dragons to find the location of and raid the Primordial Graveyard, a place of great power and importance to the good dragons. Not only does the Graveyard hold many of the good dragons' most powerful relics (not to mention the spirits of those that have moved on from this plane of existence), but there's also something else...something secret.

Adventure 3.1, The Green Queen's Demesne http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1329923/dd-attack-wing-3...

The threads of the epic story start small. In this case, in the forest home of the green dragon, Claugiyliamater. Her demesne is about to b disturbed by outside forces, come looking for a book she has acquired that mentions the name of a Place of Knowledge. Claugiyliamater cares little for why her sanctuary has been disturbed...only that it has!

Sarpiel succeeded in his quest, and though it cost his companions their lives, it was a price worth the prize. For the Tome he recovered was the Tome of Naming, and within it's pages spoke of a place known as the Barony Below...surely a clue to the location of the Primordial Graveyard. Hopefully, he had recovered it before the forces of Evil could have learned anything from it.

Unfortunately, Claugiyliamater doesn't just collect rare tomes for their appearance, and while the dragon herself cannot read, she has a minion who can. And she has already learned of the Barony Below, and pieced together that it contains some clue about the Primordial Graveyard. Once she has recovered from her fight with the angel, she intends to inform her comrades.

Adventure 3.2, The Barony Below http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1330408/dd-attack-wing-3...

Sarpiel has learned much since acquiring the Tome of Naming, but there is much more to learn. For now, he knows that the next clue to finding the Primordial Graveyard lies within the Barony Below. It's true name lost to time, this ancient ruin lies sunken underground, and is rumored to be protected by a fell guardian.

For this adventure, Sarpiel chooses more robust companions. Rather than a troop of sun elf archers for a guard, he is accompanied by the powerful Wizard Nymmestra, and the Ranger Talon Everhale. Talon carries a formidable tool that may aid them, known only as Chisel. But the Barony's guardian, Lord Maximillian, proves too much for the intruders, dealing a grievous blow to Talon. Upon claiming Chisel, he briefly remembers his past life...as a soldier and a sculptor. While he reminisced on his role sculpting a monument honoring the Guardian of the Primordial Graveyard, Sarpiel gathered the stricken Talon into his arms to carry her to safety. Even in failure, the forces of good learned a valuable piece of information, one that would hopefully keep them one step ahead of the forces of evil.

Adventure 3.3, The Toll of the Dread Alarum http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1333819/dd-attack-wing-3...

The city of Silverymoon and the nearby farming village of Auvandell have seen their share of battles...but is has been long indeed since any have been fought on these lands. So long in fact, that few know the meaning of the alarm bell ringing in Silvermoon one afternoon. Few...but one knows. The wizard Nymmestra knows. Still reeling from the information she learned with Sarpiel in the Barony Below, she fears that this attack is the first effort in the forces' of evil quest to find the Primodial Graveyard. Joined by the copper dragon Galederos, they must hold off the attack long enough for help to arrive!

In the aftermath of the battle, Nymmestra would be left wondering what the intent behind it was. Was it just a raid on a mostly defenseless farming community, or the opening moves of a much larger conflict?

Adventure 3.4, Big Game Hunting http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1342988/dd-attack-wing-3...

Jarl Horn is out hunting, and he's found his favorite prey: a white dragon. And an ancient one at that. It's not alone, traveling with a half-breed dragon cultist. The Jarl cares little for why such creatures have invaded his mountain hunting grounds...only that they present the chance for him to add to his hunting trophies!

The fierce battle raged across the mountain peaks, and nearly brought Jarl to the afterlife. As he limped back to his steadfast to recover, he paused to look upon the massive stone face that has been revealed. His battle with the ancient white must have caused an avalanche that revealed the monument, which dwarfed even the frame of the frost giant. Little did Jarl know that he looked upon the face of the Monument to the Guardian of the Primordial Graveyard, carved ages ago by the being that would become Lord Maximilian. It would be another season or two before others would learn of the location of the Guardian...but learn of it they would. And soon, they would discover what it meant...

To be continued in Adventure 3.5, Protect the Prototype!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mola Mola
msg tools
The story aspect is great and I have been enjoying your adventure reports since I play this game with my daughter who is a similar age to your son.

We played our first adventure today,3.5 "Protect the prototype". Balagos and his harpy minion thought they were doing pretty well destroying three training ballistae and getting a couple of hits on Calamity but then my daughter proceeded to wipe the floor with us, earning an XP and a bag of diamond dust.

We have been a bit nervous about trying the adventures and have spent a lot of time battling each other, learning how to fly and build legions. However this first adventure was so fun we will definitely be playing more. The Green Queen's Demense is now top of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think once you get your wings under you, the adventures in order actually are a great way to learn the game. At least through wave 1, the point totals are not that high, making the games smaller affairs that play pretty quickly. By the time you get to the larger battles, you should have a good number of games behind you to prepare you for the chaos that more creatures brings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.