BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: My son is taking my colour! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Baker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As can be seen by my microbadge, I play red. I've been playing red for the last 4 years now. My wife is blue, and my older son is green. Even when I play with a different group, I take out the red pieces and offer the remainders to everyone else. Now my younger son is just starting to get into gaming, and that's wonderful...

BUT HE HAS STARTED TAKING THE RED PIECES!

Now as a caring father and wanting to make his first steps into gaming enjoyable, I'm trying to be generous. But that was my colour!

And to make matters worse, we're all so used to it that my wife keeps giving him my points!

Maybe I'll have to purchase the "I always play yellow" microbadge soon.... TRAGEDY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, in my house or with my games, I am red. Everyone else choose the remainders. So, tell him he is yellow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just buy an extra set of red pieces for all of your games so you can both be red. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let him have the color. My 5 year old loves to play 'daddy' games with me, and his favorite color is green because it is my favorite. So I let him have it because I like to see the joy on his face to get his favorite color. Playing with a different color doesn't affect my fun in the game, so I'd rather increase his fun by letting him have our favorite color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess your wife is going to have to get used to asking "Who's red tonight?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
The answer is obvious: kick him out of your group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! Thanks everyone! Yes, if he wants to be red, he can be red. I might try to gently encourage him settle on another colour, but clearly the most important thing is for us all to play together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imitation is the purest form of flattery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Stop feeding him. He'll come around.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Go to the store have him pick a can of spray paint and make him his own color. He'll feel so unique, he will never choose your color again.

I myself play pink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! My daughter takes red from my wife all the time. I think right now, it's whoever gets to the table first gets red. Although, if my daughter asks, my wife will usually give it to her. But it has messed my wife up during her turns. She'll have her turn all planned out, only to remember that she's not red this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost blue fifteen years ago to my (now 21y0) daughter. So it's a treat to play when she's not around. (Her company is worth using an alternate color though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The day will come when he will want to be the *opposite* of whatever color you are. Enjoy this stage while you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing you have to understand is that you are much, much bigger than he is. Take your color back. It is your destiny.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm perfectly content to play any colour, but I do enjoy proclaiming that I shall be "-=COLOUR=- OF DEATH!" as I take my pieces. Red OF DEATH! Green OF DEATH! You get the picture.

"Yellow OF DEATH" has been known to elicit some colourful retorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get creative!

I recently lead a tribe of sentient Agricola-pumpkins to victory in Stone Age because somebody insisted on being red. True story.

Edit: No wait, that was a lie. I came in second...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What an absolutely horrible story...! *shudders*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wallace
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! I have a similar issue. I have always played green, but my second son likes green, my first likes blue and my wife plays red, so now I'm stuck with yellow when I play with my boys. I try to take solace in the knowledge that most LEGO minifigs are yellow, and I pretend I'm just playing with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's cute! He wants to be like his father. Awwww.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least your kid just wants your color. Mine want to crush me and take my soul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ehzed wrote:
As can be seen by my microbadge, I play red. I've been playing red for the last 4 years now. My wife is blue, and my older son is green. Even when I play with a different group, I take out the red pieces and offer the remainders to everyone else. Now my younger son is just starting to get into gaming, and that's wonderful...

BUT HE HAS STARTED TAKING THE RED PIECES!

Now as a caring father and wanting to make his first steps into gaming enjoyable, I'm trying to be generous. But that was my colour!

And to make matters worse, we're all so used to it that my wife keeps giving him my points!

Maybe I'll have to purchase the "I always play yellow" microbadge soon.... TRAGEDY!

My son knows that white and yellow are for daddy ... because daddy confuses all the other colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

You must have got a defective one.
You should take him back and exchange him for a proper working model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehzed wrote:

LOL!! I generally take yellow when playing online - that way I don't get confused as to what color I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. Blue is "my" colour, but son generally wants it. I'm trying to wean him onto Green with limited success.....

Actually, I like the idea of letting him spray up a set in his own colour (and why just a colour? Why not stripes?)

Better yet, go to the Character Meeples website and buy him a set of pieces in a style he likes - werewolves, yeti, whatever - then the lure of red will vanish for him and your rightful rights to red will be restored!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of a particularly succesful gaming experience against someone who is profoundly colour blind. Cheating ? Me ? Mever ! Not my fault if he thought the red meeples were green ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.