Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can't believe people have started standing in line 9 DAYS before the PS3 release in the USA.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2006/11/09/news_6161374.html

Here's another look at the Japan lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2ruHzlSFM (warning swearing in video)

100,000 units for all of Japan and 400,000 for all the USA apparently.

eBay has the PS3 for $2000+ currently

MADNESS.

ps

If Tanga puts up a PS3 for like $299... my advice is buy one or 50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's good to see the PS3 is creating employment opportunities in Japan...

Quote:
A similar scene was spotted at the Akihabara Yodobashi Camera store, but in a larger scale. At 9 p.m., the store was already teeming with more than 600 people. Although the store staff was not ordering people to create an orderly line, customers took the duty into their own hands and were already lined up around the block waiting for the store to open--the line was organized into orderly rows of two people side by side. Here, there were a considerable number of homeless people lining up as well. Most likely, they are being hired by scalpers to pick up PS3 units.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2006/11/10/news_6161464.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you say Cabbage Patch Tickle Me Elmo?

We got ourselves a toy speculation year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's $600. Which is crazy. People justify it by telling themselfs about inflation and how much older systems launched for in today's dollars. They also claim it's a bargain considering that it can be used for blue-ray movies.

I say the Wii is $250 and a whole lot more innovative than that just having fancy graphics. Plus the Wii is the greatest name for a console ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jr
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pothocket wrote:
I say the Wii is $250 and a whole lot more innovative than that just having fancy graphics. Plus the Wii is the greatest name for a console ever.

Eh... I disagree about the name. To me, the whole idea of using 'Wii' as the namejust seems like it'll go against the grain of quite a few people. If the purpose was to make the console seem more accessible to the older, more console game-unfriendly people, I think it will do just the opposite. It just seems like a rather childish name. Mind you, I think the console itself will be awesome, and I'm eagerly looking foward to it's Nov. 19 launch (but I'm going to wait and see what the masses say about it just the same.).

[Edit: more spelling]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell's a Wii? And how on earth do you pronounce it? Like the teenage female golfer's name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Of course, back then we called them "arcades." cool

Wow, "arcades". I've heard of those from me grand-pappy. Was that like in Ancient Rome or something?
devil

Haha, I've been playing the Wii demos in the mall yesterday and today. I like it. Its like playing Tennis indoors without the annoying sun, wind and grass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Of course, back then we called them "arcades." cool

Elevator Action 4 Life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Gather around and let me tell you the tale of "Wii". Wii is pronounced the same as "we". It is fun to say and is easily the pun of many one liners. Like, "I could afford more games if didn't spend so much money on wiid".

It's a name that was chosen to represent togetherness (as in "we"). It's to stress the enjoyment of playing games with friends. Also, the "ii" in Wii invokes images of two of the system's controllers, side by side. Again, reinforcing the concept of playing with friends.

So, fun + meaning = greatest console name ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jr
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still wish they had chosen something a bit more mature-sounding. 'Revolution' was good, but seems like it would be a bit scary-sounding to those unfamiliar to vidoe games. Keep in mind that I don't have a good subsitute for either name, so I'll have to settle for what I get (but see if you can convice me to like the name 'Wii'!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.