Subject: How many custom coins should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's like asking "how long is a length of string" but I'm curious to know your thoughts on this. I'm thinking of picking up some custom coins to bling up some games both owned and potentially owned in the future. Keeping in mind the caveat that it's impossible to cover all scenarios, what is a reasonable number of small, medium, and large coins that would cover the needs of most games? I'd like to cover comfortably (as opposed to barely) but also don't want to overpay to buy an excess of coins I'll never use.

The coins don't have denominations but the size (and color) would show relative denomination, i.e. small/bronze is smallest denomination, medium/silver is next up, and large/gold is largest denomination.

I'm assuming the coin count would be the most at the smallest coin size, less for medium, and least for large. For games that have a single denomination I'd want enough small coins to cover that need.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get coins. Get poker chips. Coins don't stack as well, and are not as easily auditable from a glance across the table. They also don't feel as good to the touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as having the most of the small denomination, that might be a mistake depending on how easy it is to make change and what each represents.

think about these examples
in monopoly the most used bill is usually the 20
in my own plays of small world the one point coins are usually traded in fast enough for something higher

so if your planning on having a currency set that will include more than one game try to consider how its used. If you have a game with ten players your going to need a lot more small denominations than if you play the same game with two because making change needs to be easy.

relative denomination depicted with color is the best choice so good job on that. A buddy of mine wanted marked bills and they just didn't cover enough without saying "ok in this game a $1 is actualy a $1000".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Sprite
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is a very open question and completely depends on the games you play. If I were making a general supply for myself I'd look at the games I have and just take a slight over estimate for what I need. In doing this for myself I get the following results:

Bronze: 60
Silver: 45
Gold: 30

Mind you, this is only counting games that have coin money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Real question is what coins are you getting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

MentatYP wrote:
I'm thinking of picking up some custom coins to bling up some games both owned and potentially owned in the future.

The biggest drawback I see is that just about anything you buy isn't going to properly "bling" most of your games. Coins used in For Sale don't fit well with coins used for Imperial with coins used for Caylus. For a while I was looking at Spanish doubloons (knock-offs of course) but they seemed to not be as pleasing as the cardboard coins that came in the various boxes because the didn't fit into the thematic elements of many of the games I'd use them in.

Look through the games where you think they would add to the package artistically and get your numbers from there.

Using poker chips is surrendering any attempt at enjoying the artistic vision in your games by the way. Stop off at your local electrician and he can give you the punch-outs from outlet boxes at no charge and provide you with the same artistic effect as poker chips.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Using poker chips is surrendering any attempt at enjoying the artistic vision in your games by the way.

The same argument could be made for any components that didn't ship with the game. In my experience, game enjoyment when using poker chips goes up pretty consistently. And that bottom line is what matters most. But the specific chips used does matter a lot. Unfortunately, these are getting hard to find. If I didn't already have them, I'd still pay a heavy markup to get them.

Sagrilarus wrote:
Stop off at your local electrician and he can give you the punch-outs from outlet boxes at no charge and provide you with the same artistic effect as poker chips.

That's hilarious. If the comment was made in earnest, you're not comparing against the right chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

My buddy got a dose of that kind from a Police Auction, with Evidence Tape wrapped all around the case. He wouldn't have bid if it didn't have the tape.

Short of games about Vegas they tend to look garish next to most eurogames. They're usable, just not exactly designed to blend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sagrilarus wrote:
Using poker chips is surrendering any attempt at enjoying the artistic vision in your games by the way.

All the art is still there. Enjoy it all you want.

Quote:
Stop off at your local electrician and he can give you the punch-outs from outlet boxes at no charge and provide you with the same artistic effect as poker chips.

Punch-outs have sharp edges and are not clearly distinguishable by colour. Not so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

In my games closet, I've got a small box with a zillion pennies, quite a few nickles, and about $5 worth of quarters. Works great for lots of games... especially handy for all those PnP games I try out.

One big advantage of using "real" coins (besides how cheap and easy they are to procure) is that they're instantly recognizable, and no one has to ask things like, "Wait, what are the red chips worth again?"

(The wife hates "dirty" coins though, so I've had to clean them. Pretty easy to clean nickles and quarters, but the pennies are a challenge. DO NOT try soaking pennies in vinegar unless they are pre-70s. The "newer" ones are such crap metal that it eats them completely, instead of just lifting the gunk and tarnish off the surface.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
One big advantage of using "real" coins (besides how cheap and easy they are to procure) is that they're instantly recognizable, and no one has to ask things like, "Wait, what are the red chips worth again?"

If you use the same chips for all your games (rather than try to "artistically" match coins per game), then this isn't a problem after the first couple games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been acquiring cheap, out of circulation foreign coins.
200 pcs of 1's from Israel
They have scalloped edges, about dime size.

100 pcs of 5's from India
Square shape about dime size

50 pcs of x value from USA Shell promotional tokens
About quarter size.

I have a good set of poker chips but they are very heavy to travel with and sometimes coins just do it for me (Puerto Rico.)

I like the different shapes for easy identification and the Aluminum makes them very light to travel with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a recent Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cqgames/the-best-damn-m... for sets of metal coins on various themes (Rome, Greek, Mythology, Egypt, Viking, Medieval, Renaissance, etc.). The company just distributed coins to Kickstarter backers; I assume they'll put the remainder up for sale at some point.

No denomination is marked on the coins, just difference in sizes and coloration. The standard set is 51 coins: size 1 (20), size 2 (15), size 3 (10), size 4 (5), size 5 (1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
In my games closet, I've got a small box with a zillion pennies, quite a few nickles, and about $5 worth of quarters. Works great for lots of games... especially handy for all those PnP games I try out.

One big advantage of using "real" coins (besides how cheap and easy they are to procure) is that they're instantly recognizable, and no one has to ask things like, "Wait, what are the red chips worth again?")

So what do you use for extra large denominations? Buffalo nickels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Real question is what coins are you getting?

There are a couple of Kickstarter campaigns in progress right now that I'm considering. Can't link to them due to forum rules but you can find them by searching there for game coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would kindly request the off-topic discussion of the suitability of poker chips be taken out of the thread.

I'm set on getting coins for now and have no intention of getting poker chips in the immediate future, although that could change one day down the line. I think clearclaw is pretty much the expert on the topic and I've bookmarked a few poker chip discussions where he was involved and provided amazingly detailed information in case I ever go down that route.

Thanks for your understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shawn,

I've thought of using foreign coins for games before, for example, french francs for Le Havre or Japanese yen for Lords of Waterdeep, and others. But when I look on the internet for some, I only find collector's sites or only small amounts which aren't enough for games. I'd only be looking for common coins so should generally be pretty cheap. How can one find coins that might be appropriate for a game and not pay a lot for them? If they cost a lot, then I may as well just get some of the many custom gaming coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bigthos wrote:
kswingruber wrote:
In my games closet, I've got a small box with a zillion pennies, quite a few nickles, and about $5 worth of quarters...
So what do you use for extra large denominations? Buffalo nickels?

Man Hole Personnel Access Covers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Shawn,

I've thought of using foreign coins for games before, for example, french francs for Le Havre or Japanese yen for Lords of Waterdeep, and others. But when I look on the internet for some, I only find collector's sites or only small amounts which aren't enough for games. I'd only be looking for common coins so should generally be pretty cheap. How can one find coins that might be appropriate for a game and not pay a lot for them? If they cost a lot, then I may as well just get some of the many custom gaming coins.

I scoured evilbay (ebay) looking for "Aluminum coin lot".

There were not a lot of examples I liked, but enough.

I was very open to where they came from and was picky that they were aluminum and different shapes.

I got the Israeli and Indian coins for about $15 each lot.

I have a collector friend that had a bunch of doubles of the shell collector coins, so I lucked into those.

Just checked and "aluminum coin lot" brings up 288 results.
The more you scour and search for different things the more you can find.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
There are a couple of Kickstarter campaigns in progress right now that I'm considering. Can't link to them due to forum rules ...

Only promotion/advertising is prohibited. I don't think it's against the rules to provide a link in this context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Shawn,

I've bought uncirculated foreign coins on eBay for a decent price, and they work pretty well for my gaming group. If you go to eBay and search for "roll of coins uncirculated Ukraine," you'll see a bunch of them, in all kinds of denominations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a bunch of the gold doubloons from this company a while back to use with our copy of Puerto Rico Deluxe. They look good and are a good solid weight, and are much better than the little faux pennies that came with the game (in the US, at least). I definitely recommend them.

http://www.greatamericancoincompany.com/c53/Pirate-Coins-and...

In terms of quantity, that will totally depend on the games you are playing. A lot of 50 doubloons is plenty for our PR set, but you might want more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VintageKD
United States
Pendleton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I'm considering a few kickstarters now as well, but I'm having trouble justifying it. I'm leaning toward Legendary Metal Coins KS.

I want:
35 Small/Copper
35 Med/Silver
100 Gold

My thinking is it's enough to support a 6p game with some allowance for change of smaller denominations. Lots of gold coins for games with no denomination differences.

I'm thinking of pulling back on the number of gold coins to the 50 range and just using the lot of them as "gold" for games that don't have denominations. In practice I don't think I can do that though...It'll likely be all or nothing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vintagekd wrote:
I'm considering a few kickstarters now as well, but I'm having trouble justifying it. I'm leaning toward Legendary Metal Coins KS.

I want:
35 Small/Copper
35 Med/Silver
100 Gold

My thinking is it's enough to support a 6p game with some allowance for change of smaller denominations. Lots of gold coins for games with no denomination differences.

I'm thinking of pulling back on the number of gold coins to the 50 range and just using the lot of them as "gold" for games that don't have denominations. In practice I don't think I can do that though...It'll likely be all or nothing...

The Legendary Coins one KS I'm considering too. Ooh--using the large/gold ones as coins for games with a single denomination wasn't something I considered, and combined with mafman6's comment about the smallest denomination not necessarily being the most used one it might make sense to get more of the bigger coins instead of the smaller ones.

The other KS I'm looking at is Fantasy Gaming Coins, although that campaign isn't very well run IMO. They have a Great A'Tuin coin that I really want but I don't know if I can trust them to follow through.

Anyway, thanks for bringing the thread back on topic with your denomination distribution ideas. I'm definitely reconsidering my initial assumption that the coin counts should increase as coin size/denomination decreases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The more finely grained the distribution is, the more you can get away with a flat distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.