Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Real game this time! No expansions.

Went over the rules again, took a while, but I think we were fine. I'm last to place, with everyone taking a principal village, I take the one south of St. Gerome. Of course I am sandwiched, and the north middle of the board is wide open. Suggestions of marriage happen instantly, but none are done.

I'm the only one who doesn't get a second Lord in play...and I'm trying to remain peaceful. By the second round, I convinced players to vote for me for the Bishop and I would not cause problems. The Yellow player in Blaye got hit with Rains and Famine...and actually struggled to be relevant all game. His first to Lords...were Ladies.

Blue Makes a push from Sigy to the Green player in Bourg (my neighbor)...I still stay out, and just buy the fief title. The first of the game. At this point I secret convo Blue. We can't marry exactly right now, but we want to be working together. It's really my only shot.

The attack is coming, but I luck out...and heavy rains hit two bishoprics. Armies are stuck. I use this to buildup my forces on really the only 4 villages I occupy and buy a cardinal. Next round comes, and am able to formally marry Blue. He is able to become Pope (with my help)...and a King can be elected...I'm the only candidate! 2 VP! Blue is already Count of Sigy. I really had no shot of a third VP...so the marriage worked. We have 4VP to start the round.

Big battles around Bourg...and they are coming after me. I pull back into St. Andre, and upgrade one of my ladies to D'Arc. With some good wealth, I pretty much have every unit in St. Andre. Black plays an Assassin card...but I had the secret passage. Black/Green attack in St. Andre...but I'm rolling 4 dice to his 1. It didn't go well.

Pic of Pink pulled back into St. Andre. Green/Black on their way!

Final chance has Green cavalcades to Sigy WITH a secret passage, but the castle walls held. Blue+Pink win with 2 Counties, the Pope and the King!

----------

Rules were fine...lots of initial questions, but people got the flow. We didn't limit the coins on Diplo, and at the end, there was a blatant 'give me all your money to help me try and stop them' thing, so next time, I think a cap is necessary. (3 seems too low). I think we didn't get a sense how big every decision is...and the other players didn't properly value getting their fief titles. Black in Tournus, pushed toward me...instead of going West toward empty villages and the Barony. My consolidated force scared him, and he kept troops close.

Also, players didn't know they could try and trade/sell cards they didn't need (tax/cardinal). It's weird because at the stage you want them, you typically have no money in your treasury yet. Yellow got majorly hurt with disasters...and not getting male lord. I told him you got a beg/borrow/steal/promise cash whatever, but see if you can get that card in your hand!

There was a bit of confusion on combined army rules at first..and sieges, but that was because we glossed over the rules until the scenarios presented themselves.

Great stuff. Excited for next game. We started playing at 8pm, and wrapped up maybe around 11:30. Players really liked it. More than Game of Thrones. Coins were a HUGE hit...as well as the buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shafer
United States
Hedgies Hang
flag msg tools
designer
"It is a pity we so often succeed in our endeavors to deceive each other." -Empress Irene
mbmbmbmbmb
How did not having a male lord hurt him so much? I've played quite a few times and can't see how that would disable you much. Sure you can't be bishop or pope, but you can be countess or baroness and still lead armies just fine. You would definitely be relevant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't so much having only ladies as it was getting hit with multi-disasters twice...and one took a lord away from him. Not being able to move to get villages...and having no money set him back like 2 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.