Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Given all the tweaks, iterations, and expansions, I'm lost. Is there a pure co-op or pure competitive version of SDE?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Given all the tweaks, iterations, and expansions, I'm lost. Is there a pure co-op or pure competitive version of SDE?

Thanks.

The new edition comes with an arcade mode which is pure co op
Edit : Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks! Can it be applied retroactively to the base game, or is it exclusive to the Forgotten King?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
So far my experience shows that Arcade mode works really well.
The KS contained cards for all of the models released to date, so certainly the monsters (and heroes) can be played in arcade mode. I'm assuming those cards will be available somehow in retail...

The only thing not retroactively usable is the boards, mainly because they don't have a 'spawn point' space on them. Wouldn't be hard to come up with some though either on your own or as a community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure competitive mode would be "arena mode"...

Frank,
I would like to read more of your thoughts about the game.

Did you play the old game? Did you like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I own the old game. It was ok-to-good but had a number of issues. To me it felt like it should have been better than it was. The re-release (2nd ed?) fixes the issues I had with the game and pushes it into the "great" category. They have cleaned up the powers so all of the fiddly ones are gone (remember the original smoke rules? jesus christ!) fixed the weird pacing the original had (where the game was decided in turn 2) and he new forgotten king additions are good fun. I'll miss the loot and game track but all of the changes were for the better.
Arcade mode had a lot of thought put into it, not just an "AI patch" on the classics game. I have a few rules issues with it still so it's not as clean as classics mode but is a potential for classic solo game status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Frank is awesome..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I own the old game. It was ok-to-good but had a number of issues. To me it felt like it should have been better than it was. The re-release (2nd ed?) fixes the issues I had with the game and pushes it into the "great" category. They have cleaned up the powers so all of the fiddly ones are gone (remember the original smoke rules? jesus christ!) fixed the weird pacing the original had (where the game was decided in turn 2) and he new forgotten king additions are good fun. I'll miss the loot and game track but all of the changes were for the better.
Arcade mode had a lot of thought put into it, not just an "AI patch" on the classics game. I have a few rules issues with it still so it's not as clean as classics mode but is a potential for classic solo game status.

Awesome to hear. Looking forward to receiving my KS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to like this game.
So far, I don't.

I have only played three times with adults. It was a different group each time and I was the only person who had read the rules (I'm not the best at explaining how to play games I am not 100% familiar with).

All three games ended with the same opinion, the game is OK.
We had a hard time remembering to advance the meters, so the games would last forever and loot was hard to obtain. Either the consul would crush the heroes, or it was a total cakewalk with me being on the winning side every time.

I played the game a bunch of times with my daughter and she loves it. Unfortunately It felt like I was "playing both sides".
We have been "waiting for the new rules" since December.
We played the old game with the new rules a few times but I didn't want her to have to learn how to play the game again and then make her learn it again.

I'm really hoping that the new rules will make the game more enjoyable for us. The beta PDF left me very optimistic and all of the things that changed are the things that I did not like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
I've long been in Rick's camp of really wanting to like the game, but never actually really enjoying it.

I could get into all the reasons why, but having just given it another shot with the Arcade Mode (Consul-less version) of Forgotten King using the Kobolds and Starfire from the base game, I'll just say that that's the game I wanted the original to be, and I'm quite enjoying it thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.