13 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Variants

Subject: [feedback needed] wall angles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Voscain
msg tools
Hello !

We are the micro company developing game accessories, and some of them are compatible with Zombicide!

One player has asked us if we could develop "wall angles" for Zombicide, like those in Mars Attacks : http://quirkworthy.com/2013/09/21/mars-attacks-playtests-2/

What is the point of doing that?
- if you have many many zombies in one building, you can extend it by using these wall angles;
- you can create more immersion to the battlefield;
- adjust some walls lengths.

We have already a sketch there:

What do you think about it?

Thank you!

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
They look like fun, but I don't think I would use them in Zombicide. I play other games where they might be useful (although I already have lots of ruined buildings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Voscain
msg tools
Thank you for this comment Peter !

Do you think you would not use them in Zombicide because of :

- the principle of using that new accessory in the game because it was not included in the base version?

- because of the theme of the wall corners itself (bricks?). We could think about a different theme like reinforced concrete, more adapted to the urban environment of Zombicide?

Have a good day,

john

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I don't need them, at least, not as much as I would 'need' sturdy, openable doors. And because I am not sure how they would 'extend' a room to help them fit more zombies in. I do use pieces other than the original game pieces sometimes, although I didn't get on with model cars because of the space they took up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they would look really nice, but I wouldn't use them either. They just serve no purpose. It's not like models gain anything for being in cover or being partially in cover like in some of the standard miniatures battle/skirmish games.
Also, at a certain point in Zombicide there are so many zombies to grab and move that these adornments would just hinder being able to grab 10-20 zombies at once and move them (as we often do in games). You would be knocking them over and constantly repositioning them - at least that's how I'm envisioning it. Zombicide works well without having 3D environment pieces.

Pretty, but not really practical IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Voscain
msg tools
Hello VonMeister,

What an interesting feedback ! The wall corners have also a practical objective !

Tell me what you think about that situation: you have too many zombies in a room or in a building, so many that you cannot put enough zombies.

You place the wall corners (1 or 2) which become the new building borders and you move them for a needed distance. Then, you can add your zombies thanks to that extension.

Sorry if the first messages were not clear enough,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certainly rooms, particularly in Prison Outbreak, which need more room for zombies - but I can't quite visualise it working on the board. It would just take up space from another room.

I would think these corners, and possibly some straights, might be good in wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnV wrote:
Hello VonMeister,

What an interesting feedback ! The wall corners have also a practical objective !

Tell me what you think about that situation: you have too many zombies in a room or in a building, so many that you cannot put enough zombies.

You place the wall corners (1 or 2) which become the new building borders and you move them for a needed distance. Then, you can add your zombies thanks to that extension.

Sorry if the first messages were not clear enough,

No disrespect intended here, but we've always been able to work it out just fine. We never felt the need to have more components to pile more zombies in a space.
Your suggestion isn't a bad one though.

With Zombicide, you might be trying to force something there's just no demand for.
Not trying to diminish your effort in creating these, but the game doesn't really feel like it has a need for them. Like Stephanie/Peter posted, the walls and corners are a more useful item for wargames.

But hey, don't take my word for it - get a copy of Zombicide, 3D print your wall corners (or sculpt them the old-fashioned way) and playtest them. See how often the situation comes up and see if the corners are a pretty seamless aid.

Good luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way some potential model-makers have come on these pages to post ideas. This one may not fit with Zombicide, but it was a good thought. Hope you do well with it, maybe not in this game, but it's still a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Voscain
msg tools
Dear Peter and L von Meister

Yes, we truly understand your doubts about it. It is not something existing in the base version.

Of course, we never validate something until our team has not playtested it and other players (neutral position) have done the same.

In some cases, it happens that some players just don't think it is worth the candle at the concept phase, like it is.

However, when a player suggested that to us, we liked the idea, so we will push forward until playtesting. If it is like you said, well, we will freeze it !

If somebody wants to have a try, he can pm us. If it works, we will post some results and cases when it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
antony hu
msg tools
what used with it?butifo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Voscain
msg tools
Hello Antony,

when you are overwhelmed by zombies, it is a special element used for two things:

- help you to have better vision of the each room in which you have a number of zombies
- extend the space of room on the title when zombies are too many, which happens sometimes

We showed it recently and the concept was good, but we will test it with players in a gaming shop tomorrow night.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Voscain
msg tools
Hello,

as promised, we come back for a small report about the play-test of the wall angles.

It turns out we have to agree with you guys: it is not so useful as we thought at first sight.

It can be only used in the middle and late game and you have many possibilities to find a more convenient solution, when a room is overwhelmed by zombies.

Example:

with the wall angles:

Without the wall angles, just put the extra zombie on the top:

The final crowd on the scenario

So, as a conclusion it might be nice but much more to be immersive (and for other games) than used as a gaming aid.
We will put it in our lab to conduct more tests and have confirmation about it,

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.