BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: looking for innovative political control mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on a card game on ancient China. I have finally got the card play working sort of like Maria or Frederick but more than two players can participate in the battle. There is military control and there is political control and usually you pursue one or other or maybe a bit of both.

I want to work the political control into something a little more sophisticated. Right now its coming down to basically deck building. Drafting cards to make your deck better; it's drawing and discarding at the same time actually, I dont know if that makes it deck builder or what but that's what it is. So I am looking for a more sophisticated, more thinky way to exert political control using cards. Right now you try to capture the most of a party based on cards in hand, so go around drafting and then you bid 11 Song or 12 Wu or whatever.

Anything innovative in this area that you think might be interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to do a bit of research into how things were run politically in ancient China for inspiration. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with wealth and knowing the right people, but I still think it is worth examining. Best of luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Marosvári
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi!

I'm working on a CDG about the Pre WW1 era:Silent Pacts
I use there a system to represent political influene. Maybe you can get some idea from it, but as Austin said you should look for some hints the real political situation and customs in the Ancient China.
My political influence system is based on the influence level of the players in every country. Every territory box has an influence level index, where the colors are rappresenting the influence level from "contact", through, "dependence" to "colony". I have 6 influence level.
The players can raise their own influence or decrease other players influence (or both in the same way) in the countries. They can do it with the use of the event cards. I use event cards with multiple possibilities, where the players can chose how to use them. Every card has a real historical event, which is mainly gives influence for a specific player (The Zulu Wars can give influence over South Africa only for Britain). But the "B" events are common events what can be used by any player. Like "Grant a loan" will give you 2 influence point in 1 European country, or the "Intrique" will decrease 2 influence level of a chosen enemy in any country. You should find commmon events from the Ancient China (like, Bribe the Chief of the Village, Rice Supply ecc...)
In my game the real historical events has an instant effect, but the common events are hasn't. Other players can make a Conflict of these event if they have influence in the targeted country. The players can build a deck of diplomatic cards (which can be bought for event cards), what they can use in the Conflicts. So in this way they can cancel the action of someone if they have strong cards. You should find a way to handle these Conflict in a way which suits for the Ancient China.
This is a good way to make a lot of interactions between players as they have to handle the Conflicts and give some diplomatic option to them (you help me in this Conflict and I will help you in the next...)

If you like the idea and you think something similar can work for you and you have any question I can clarify some point for you!

Good luck for the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
thank you for some very interesting ideas, there. I should clarify that my system is not meant to be very historical it is more abstract, so the card play becomes very thinky and very abstract.

I am not looking to capture actual historical events very closely, although sometimes I like that. This game is more like Bridge or something, so if I put too many historical events, it will outweigh whatever calculations people are making and the historical will overpower the abstract.

Not that I dont appreciate all the ideas, just telling you what direction I am going in.

That is why I am looking for interesting mechanics for control.

I do like the idea of some general events and some specific events, that's a really good way to handle this sort of issue when you are trying to capture historical events.

I want to try to make a system that does not rely on regions or spaces. So you dont try to capture every single space. Instead any city could have a lot or a little influence. So one giant city with a lot of influence could control a larger area. So instead of having to fight for each space, you could fight one important battle for one very important city. So you dont have to conquer a kingdom space by space. You would try to aim for decisive battles at one important control point.

Like you capture the city of Chugking, it is just some point on a road network. The next turn you control it and add one more influence, so now it can control up to 50 miles away. Next turn you still control it so you add another marker and it controls stuff 100 miles away. Then a new city appears close by but it only has one marker, so Chungking has 3 markers so it totally overwhelms that city. So an invading army comes by it has no need to attack the small city, it just has to take Chungking to control a large area.

I dont know if that is workable. I dont know if any game has tried such a system. Any comments or ideas on that?

Thanks for all your comments, basically in a creative rut so just looking for ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.