Dawn: Rise of the Occulites» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after a first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bear Klaw
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of Dawn last night, and really liked it. I'm looking forward to getting into more of the advanced rules. During the game a few questions came up that we couldn't find the answer to.

1) Using a tribal token to change a natural selection card type. Suppose I have a card with an attack of 10 and a defense of 5, so its an aggressive 10 card. I played a tribal token to change it to a defensive 10 card. My opponent took the "while keeping the same value" part of the rule to mean keep the 5, so it became a defensive 5 card. Which is right?

2) Zones of control - its clear that if I start the turn adjacent to an enemy figure I have to use the break away action if I want to move. What if I move adjacent to an enemy as part of my move - does my move end immediately, or can I move past the enemy. I'm guessing I'm supposed to stop as soon as I enter a hex adjacent to an enemy, but wanted to double check.

3) Ready Action. One of my occulites takes a ready action at the end of its turn, and during my opponents turn it is attacked twice. Do I draw one card each time its attacked (for a total of two) or just one? Can I choose to let NTIC during the defense and have a hand with over 7 cards?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bearklaw wrote:
Played my first game of Dawn last night, and really liked it. I'm looking forward to getting into more of the advanced rules. During the game a few questions came up that we couldn't find the answer to.

1) Using a tribal token to change a natural selection card type. Suppose I have a card with an attack of 10 and a defense of 5, so its an aggressive 10 card. I played a tribal token to change it to a defensive 10 card. My opponent took the "while keeping the same value" part of the rule to mean keep the 5, so it became a defensive 5 card. Which is right?

You are correct. The "while keeping the same value" means that you keep the value of its main number. So playing an Aggressive 10 card, then using the Tribal Token to change it, will change it to a Defensive 10 card.

bearklaw wrote:

2) Zones of control - its clear that if I start the turn adjacent to an enemy figure I have to use the break away action if I want to move. What if I move adjacent to an enemy as part of my move - does my move end immediately, or can I move past the enemy. I'm guessing I'm supposed to stop as soon as I enter a hex adjacent to an enemy, but wanted to double check.

Whenever you want to move out of a space that is adjacent to an opposing figure, you need to take a breakaway test. In your example, your move doesn't end, but to then move out of that hex you will need to take a breakaway test. If you don't want to get stuck next to an opposing figure, the best way is to not engage them.

bearklaw wrote:
3) Ready Action. One of my occulites takes a ready action at the end of its turn, and during my opponents turn it is attacked twice. Do I draw one card each time its attacked (for a total of two) or just one? Can I choose to let NTIC during the defense and have a hand with over 7 cards?

It states that you draw a card for any and all attacks. So you will draw one for each time it is attacked. In your case, it would draw one for each of the two attacks for a total of two.
You can of course choose to let nature take its course with one, both or none of them in defence, but you MUST play the card that you do that with each time. This would allow you to have a hand with over 7 cards. But when you take a Replenish action, you only draw up to a hand limit of 7. In playtesting, we found that figures that took a ready action were often left alone and another target was picked instead to avoid their hand limit getting too out of control for that turn.

bearklaw wrote:
Thanks!

No problems mate, I hope these help clarify your questions.
Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.