Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm pretty interested in this game, but I'm wondering how PBEM is for it. I read the AAR in the consimworld thread (grrr, consimworld thread interface) and it sounds like there are a ton of simultaneous decisions (interupts, intercepts, etc) that could really screw up the ability to do this PBEM. Realisitically I don't know anyone or have time to play a full ftf game of this scale. Any thoughts from anybody in the know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

I have a fair handle on how to do the game PBEM. As you have assessed, yes, there are often a few if/then emails required during the course of each player's rounds, with most at the beginning of the move(s).

For example. I am Prussia, and play a major campaign card (allows activation of 2 forces). the Austrian player holds several Interrupt cards that can cancel my activations. So, as Fred, i say "Playing a major campaign. Activating Frederick and Henry in that order. Frederick first. Interrupt?"

The Aus player will then tell me yes or no. If yes, onto the Henry activation, and same question. If no, I do my Fred move.

Withdrawals and Interceptions -- when a force enters an enemy space, the enemy can often attempt to Withdraw. As I enter, I have to email and ask if they are attempting Withdrawal. The same applies if I'm moving adjacent to the enemy -- I have to ask if he wants to try to Intercept me. These are resolved with die rolls and various drms.

If any of these occur, we generally either throw the dice with an online roller (ACTS), or just use honor system and roll them in the Cyberboard roller.

So for any given round, it may involve you sending 3-6 emails on your end before it's all said and done. The average is probably 3. And everyone else has about the same decisions and answers to make as well.

in combat, the enemy gets to play up to 2 Tac chits, so you have to send a partial turn, have them play their chits and send a partial back, and then resolve the combat -- or, you as attacker play your chits, they play theirs, and resolve it on their end.

The average round adds up to 2-6 partial turns exchanged, with 2-4 being average -- always more when a combat is involved.

However, I will submit that if you pbem, you would/will/are having to do the same thing, with a Pax Romana, Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, ANY game that involves Interrupt/Cancellation cards, Intercepts and Withdrawals/Avoidance, and Tactics cards or chits.

You may also get perspective from Paul Heldrup, a much less biased player , who has also posted on this game. Take care -- bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.