BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Benefit for purchasing Origins badge online? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in Northeast Ohio, my daughter and I want to go to our first Origins convention. It's only about 2hrs away, and I work during the week, so we would just drive down for Sat, and come home that night. It looks like the Origins site states that if you prepurchased a badge, or purchase at the door, it seems like there is just one main line to get the badge...or that's what it sounds like. Either way, I'm guessing we would be in for a very long wait in line that day I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, the line to pick up a pre-purchased badge is much quicker in my experience. The line to buy a badge there Saturday morning always seems to be painfully long. Have a great day at the convention. My whole family has enjoyed going every year, although with Origins so early these days my kids will be stuck in school this time instead (sorry kids. Thanks for helping out, Grandma & Grandpa!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, from the description on the site, it seemed like there was just a single type of line. Looks like pre-purchasing is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
To know and not to do - is not to know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year there was a problem and the line to buy on-site was insane! Pre-purchase, just walk thru and get to gaming. Worth it.

-fitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheryl Nantus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that purchasing the badge online is the way to go. There will *still* be a line up to pick up your badge but it's WAY less and faster if you already have the details in the system.

Pre-purchase the badge and add on any items you want like ribbons, tickets for events (when they come open in two weeks) and generic tokens. They will all be handed to you in one lovely little package when you arrive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the line to get in last year on the Saturday was three hours. I plan on picking my five day badge up at 7AM Wednesday morning and off to gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheryl Nantus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I've read the line to get in last year on the Saturday was three hours. I plan on picking my five day badge up at 7AM Wednesday morning and off to gaming!

*whispers* Often there's a "soft opening" on Tuesday evening - if you just want to pick up your badge package you can. No purchases allowed...

*sneaks off*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-purchasing is always a good idea with game conventions. The badge is held at a will call or pre-order line. If you buy it ahead of time all your stuff is pre-printed and in an envelope. Just show up with your ID and they grab your stuff. When you get it on site they have to enter all your information in the computer and print it out. This data entry really backs up the on-site line on busy days.

That is why it was up to 3 hours last Saturday. To help alleviate lines they just started writing on badges and skipping the registration process. Or so it appeared. I didn't talk to anyone official, but I saw tons of badges with permanent marker writing instead of printed out once the lines died down on Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheryl Nantus wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

*whispers* Often there's a "soft opening" on Tuesday evening - if you just want to pick up your badge package you can. No purchases allowed...

*sneaks off*

Yeah if you get in Tuesday this is a great option. More and more people do now which is great. BB2 was pretty busy with people playing some games and drinking Tuesday evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheryl Nantus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how many games there are on Wednesday if you can get your badge on Tuesday night it'll lessen the stress of waking up early to stand in line on Wed. morning and rushing to an early morning game.

Wednesday seems to have become an unofficial gaming day over the years. Plenty to do even if the dealers' room isn't open...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sheryl and William for your on-going info. I'm still trying to find a PDF floor plan from last year just to get an idea of general layout, in case you know where to find something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheryl Nantus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty well all the events are held in the Columbus Convention Center so you should find everything you need on the website. The registration tables are a fixed area inside the center. It's a great place to hold a con - we go there for the Wizard World Ohio every year as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the convention center site is the best place to get an idea of the layout. I've put a link to their map below. Exhibit Hall C is the vendor hall. Exhibit Hall D is where most the board games are held. Exhibit Hall E/F usually have magic tournaments and other stuff that varies year to year. The registration booths are across from Exhibit Hall C. The rooms across from the exhibit halls also have games, seminars are other stuff. The 2nd level connector goes to the Hyatt which has a lot of RPGs in meeting rooms there.

http://columbusconventions.com/maps.php

Eventually Origins will publish their book and it has maps in there too.

Things change slightly each year. Event tickets will have a room number on them or which hall they are in. The board games in Hall D are usually organized by groups running it and they often have banners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thanks. And the CABS Board Room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
It changes year to year. Last year it was in a roped off area in Hall D. The year before it was back in Hall F. I am not sure where it will be this year, but it will probably be one of those 2 places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Dickinson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we are expecting the Board Room to be in Hall D again this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. A few more hours now until events get posted meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.