Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I want to thank everyone on these forums that has helped me in my other game purchases, you guys have helped a ton!

On to my current issue:

I have been interested in SFB for a while, but decided I would rather try a 50 page rulebook to a 450 page rulebook. I am not a HUGE star trek fan, but I like the space combat the game offers, and a few of my friends are big trek fans. The klingons v Romulan issue isn't the main problem I am having deciding, its the components and depth. If I ordered the game from a site like Thoughthammer, say if I got Klingon, would I be getting current fixes (the updated rulebook, no gray lines on the maps, etc) or is it only if I order from Amarillo? Also, which is better for Scenario depth? Standalone, also, I don't know if I want to buy the FC Attack expansions yet, I want to see how we like it standalone. I am just looking for the better overall quality game here, and although I have tried going by reviews, Romulan Border just doesn't have as many reviews, so I can't get a very fair comparison.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick Romulan Border. You will get all the rules from Klingon Border except for ship descriptions and scenarios. You get "modern" Federation ships such as the NCL plus Romulans and Gorns. You could get Booster 2 which has a variety of Klingon ships. This would give you a good selection of ships from the three big races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Pick Romulan Border. You will get all the rules from Klingon Border except for ship descriptions and scenarios. You get "modern" Federation ships such as the NCL plus Romulans and Gorns. You could get Booster 2 which has a variety of Klingon ships. This would give you a good selection of ships from the three big races.

Depending on how this goes, I may end up with way more Trek than I'll have time to play, but in a good way . Any more opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Abramowitz
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Border boxes have the complete rules for both in their rule books. If you've never played Start Fleet Battles I would suggest Klingon Border. The Romulan ships, with their Cloaking Devices and Plasma Torpedoes, are a little bit more complicated to play than the Klingons. The KB box also has the "Enterprise" cruiser.

Incidentally, I purchased KB from ThoughtHammer in early October...it was the most recent version with the most recent rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawn Dart wrote:
Both Border boxes have the complete rules for both in their rule books. If you've never played Start Fleet Battles I would suggest Klingon Border. The Romulan ships, with their Cloaking Devices and Plasma Torpedoes, are a little bit more complicated to play than the Klingons. The KB box also has the "Enterprise" cruiser.

And the plot thickens!

That was one of my main questions: the rulebook and supplies. I heard that the older KB set would have the updated map sheets and rulebook once the original stock ran out, but I still didn't know if I bought them from a non-amarillo supplier (namely Thoughthammer) if it would be newer stock of KB. Do you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Abramowitz
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See my edit to my earlier message that I did while you were typing your response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawn Dart wrote:
See my edit to my earlier message that I did while you were typing your response

AHA, thats what I get for responding fast

Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Booster would I want to get, 1 and 2? Or one or the other? They come with the ship cards, right, since I heard the KB set only had 1 per ship. Also, does the new version of KB have the GRease pencil, or does it have a dry erase marker now? Not really anything important, just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still looking for opinions. I will be getting 1 Borders pack, and POSSIBLY a booster or 2, depending on if they are necessary/too good not to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Abramowitz
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my KB came with a grease pencil. I didn't get any boosters - if I want multiple sheets for my ships I have a scanner/color printer. It all depends if you want new ships or not. My next purchase will probably Romulan Attack so I can get some Romulan/Gorn ships.

I did buy Squardrons 1 & 2 of the minis though when I bought KB. The minis look so much nicer than counters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I own both KB and RB and Klingon attacks and soon to be getting RA. I didn't orginally plan on this (I was playing romulan) but we are holding a big fleet battle next week and we picked a "trouble with tribbles" scenario, so we need more klingon ships.

It also gave me a bunch of extra map boards to hold the battle on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as which booster to get, that really depends on which product you get in the first place, and what you want more ships for. If you by RB, booster 1 will give you more Fed ships, including the Enterprise type ship. If you buy RB, but want some Klingons, go with booster 2. Similarly, if you buy KB, you might want to get a Romulan booster (maybe booster 7?) so you can mess with the plasma and cloaking devices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.