United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
During the first fight I lead off with a low Earth card, at which point she plays Flamebreath the Dazzling 7 Fire, coming out too heavy.

You still seem to have a problem. If you started a fight with Earth, then Flamebreath would have been useless since his Earth value is zero.

The element of the fight is set by the player who started the fight, and doesn't change during the fight unless a player plays a Mutant, or Old Goo Laa's Ghost (Buka 24).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
I win the final fight with the following combination (which actually seems a little overpowered, I wonder if we played it right?) Carl Kamikaze Crow The values of my booster cards double with the Booster Earthwater My total power in Earth increases to 7 for Earth 14. She couldn't match that, thus ending the game after declining to start a fight and discarding her final cards.

I don't think this combination works. Cark Kamikaze Crows doubles Booster values, but Earthwater doesn't have a value - it just sets your total Earth to 7.

(I'm no Blue Moon rules expert, but I think this is how the rules work)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon J wrote:

I don't think this combination works. Cark Kamikaze Crows doubles Booster values, but Earthwater doesn't have a value - it just sets your total Earth to 7.
(I'm no Blue Moon rules expert, but I think this is how the rules work)

You are correct - it wouldn't work. No doubling in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon is an very simple game, just a step up from Monoploy, at least when the basic rules are concerned. It is a pseudo-collectable card game and like Magic the Gathering the way some card abilities interact with other card abilities can lead to some complex effects. Thus the rule book is carefully written and the play sequence is very structured. It is there to be read.

As to the point of Blue Moon. Does any game have a point other than to have fun? If one is looking to find some great depth of strategy or secret play skill that will win over luck this game isn't it. Basically it is a tricked up card game of WAR. Others describe it as an obtuse auction game like so many other Knizia creations. There is some truth in that. Card counting skill can help, at least when playing against standard (not constructed) decks. Knowing what is left in your deck can help with the 'auction', ie. retreat question. But basically victory belongs to the lucky.

Blue Moon avoids a lot of the problems that other more popular ccg's have in that there is no interaction with the opponent during player turns (ie. interupts). I'd say the Blue Moon card game is very much like the Pokemon ccg in this regard.

If it wasn't for the artwork it would be a great kids game. But the artwork is part of the 'point' of this game.

If the reviewer finds this game difficult to learn then I'd suggest avoiding mainstream ccg's like Magic the Gathering or Legend of the Five Rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the whole "total power" thing, total power is your final calculated power including all your boosters and supports, the value you declare that your opponent has to match. Therefore it doesn't matter if your power is 1 or 12 before you play Earthwater - once Earthwater is down it finalizes your power at 7 and throws that value back at your opponent.

oh yeah, and the reason you can't double Earthwater is that the card doesn't specifically have a numerical value printed on it, like most of the other Flit boosters do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,
Don't feed the trolls. That guy clearly doesn't like the game and is trying to demonstrate his infatuation with this own presumed gaming IQ by throwing around elite-sounding criticisms of the game he probably cut and pasted from a Puerto Rico fanboard. Your experiences are your own and however you choose to express them is fine. You've had the same learning curve that almost every other fan of the game has had. No worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:

Blue Moon avoids a lot of the problems that other more popular ccg's have in that there is no interaction with the opponent during player turns (ie. interupts). I'd say the Blue Moon card game is very much like the Pokemon ccg in this regard.

Besides that thare are Interventions (in the Allies sets) that do exactly that, interrup the enemies turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Besides that thare are Interventions (in the Allies sets) that do exactly that, interrup the enemies turn...

Interference cards in English. And that's the two Emissaries and Inquisitors decks, only one of which uses the Allies name, the other uses Blessings (but not in German, hence the slip).

Have you discovered the FAQ? Some people in your position find it helps, others that it's not for them. (There will be a new version very shortly, but you won't need to worry about the things that are changing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.