Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Lavin
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Geeks,

I am currently enrolled at the local community college and have been tasked with doing a project for my Statistics 2 class. The 3 past-times I love the most are baseball, beer and board gaming. Last semester in Statistics 1 I did my project on beer consumption; which left me with a choice between board gaming and baseball for this project. Board gaming won out and so I ask the community for help collecting my sample.

Splendor was given the 2014 Golden Geek award for board game of the year. I have had a few discussions with fellow gamer's and that choice seemed to raise some eyebrows. So let's test those results. This will be a simple 2 question poll, one asking for age and the other asking if Splendor was the true winner.

The survey will take about 30 seconds to complete and can be found at the following link. I thank everyone in advance for voting.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S9TS77Z

Tommy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you need age? Why don't you post a poll or 2 here?

RE your project, who votes for Golden Geek awards? So what you have as a winner is a leader among the contenders among those who chose to vote? If someone did not choose to vote, by definition, they did not influence the winner. So, I'm not sure what sampling a different group of people says about the 1st group of people. And even this 2nd sample is self selected among those of us who see and decide to respond to this post. In other words, where is the statistics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Why do you need age?
To see if there is a correlation between age and preference for splendor.

So, I'm not sure what sampling a different group of people says about the 1st group of people.
I don't think the point is to determine anything about the 1st group, but rather to try and determine if there is a relationship in the general BGG population.

And even this 2nd sample is self selected among those of us who see and decide to respond to this post.
That's a valid critique, but not one that I can see a way around. There's not an available method to get a better sample of BGG members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tommy

Good luck with your course .
I finished my stat 1 course last December with a final project on starting positions and yield in Settlers of Catan

Best,
Enie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Lavin
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan hit the nail on the head flush in his responses. I'm not trying to change the wheel, just gathering some information and putting together some stats and then running some hypothesis tests and what not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Lavin
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again to all those who voted. I have closed the poll!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.