Hide
14 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Template Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Irwin
msg tools
I was curious if anyone had any comments on the plastic template set that was released. I have yet to see these in person. From the pictures I've seen it looks like it may be difficult to see the numbers. Any feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only looked at them briefly while picking up my dracolich. With my starter set starting to wear out, I really want to get some plastic. I didn't notice any issue with the numbers, but I can't say I'm a fan of the shade they've gone with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gradin
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are multiple plastic templates out. I like mine more than I expected to. I'll try to look up their brand and post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using litko acrylics for Xwing for two years now. I really like their products. I also like that you can personalize your templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an official Wizkids set, which contains all of the maneuver templates and a range template. I've seen one other brand which might not have included the range stick. I've only seen one color for the Wizkids set, which is unfortunate because I don't like it, but I also want a set that won't cause any arguments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arguments?
As in yours may be different sizes?

If that's the case, I know the Xwing rules state to share the set so everyone has the templates. It's a pretty easy fix for slight manufacturing differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Arguments?
As in yours may be different sizes?

If that's the case, I know the Xwing rules state to share the set so everyone has the templates. It's a pretty easy fix for slight manufacturing differences.

That would be the concern. Not that I've ever seen or even heard of anyone complaining about using non-WK templates. It was a concern with X-Wing when it first came out, and third parties started making their own templates...I think FFG declared that only FFG templates would be allowed at events like Worlds.

I also want to support Wizkids in this, as I love the game and want to see it do well and stay supported for a good, long time. I just wish they'd have a choice of colors, like they do with the base sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The templates in my official set are approximately 1 mm longer than my cardboard sets. I'm not sure if they are even meant to be the same size as x-wing templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gradin
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMaka wrote:
I think there are multiple plastic templates out. I like mine more than I expected to. I'll try to look up their brand and post it.

I have litko ones for DNDAW (not XWing). They are not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haar
msg tools
Tacullu64 wrote:
The templates in my official set are approximately 1 mm longer than my cardboard sets. I'm not sure if they are even meant to be the same size as x-wing templates.

In the set I looked at the straight templates were 1mm longer, the banks were spot on and the turns are 1mm shorter.

They are great quality. I just wish they came in multiple colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Dunn
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
The WizKids official range ruler a friend bought is about 1/16th inch longer than the cardboard one (we checked against multiple cardboard range rulers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Beem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've seen this at my location as well. Specifically, the Range 1 is about 1/8" longer than the cardboard's. That is to say that if you put my cardboard and plastic lined up with the Range 4 edge on the table, all the Range lines are in synch but the plastic (acrylic?) ruler is still longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Price
msg tools
mb
Priesmal wrote:
I've seen this at my location as well. Specifically, the Range 1 is about 1/8" longer than the cardboard's. That is to say that if you put my cardboard and plastic lined up with the Range 4 edge on the table, all the Range lines are in synch but the plastic (acrylic?) ruler is still longer.

I have a bunch of starters and it looks like they were cut differently such that the range 1 is a tiny bit smaller. The ruler should be exactly 12 inches long as far as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Price
msg tools
mb
OK, just got all three different sets of my templates lined up: starter, Litko acrylic and new Wizkids acrylic. The movement templates are all perfect and exact across all three but ummm... this range ruler situation is kind of annoying.

Both the cardboard starter and Litko range rulers are exactly 12 inches long with each range section being exactly 3 inches each. However, I saw the same thing Priesmal did with the Wizkids rulers. i.e. the Wizkids acrylic range ruler, while being 12 inches long, has a way-too-long range "1" and a way-too-short range "4" to the tune of an eighth of an inch!

I will use the Wizkids and Litko acrylic movements with the Litko range ruler for my games. I threw the Wizkids acrylic range ruler in the trash though, it is only useful for testing target action range and was cut wrong unless this is some design intent thing to make melee an eighth of an inch easier (seems unlikely.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.