Subject: First impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the reviews and things I've read about it on this board I decided to pick up a copy of Modern Art.
My family doesn't have a bidding board game that I can think of so I was curious to see what everyone would think of this one.

We played with five and I reviewed the instructions with everyone.
The first hiccup was that my sister didn't realize she could bid on an auction that she was running. Lesson learned.

Gram was just trying to undersand the game so she wasn't as vocal as my Dad and I. We slipped into role-playing quite often. It was a lot more fun pretending to be an actual art dealer or an auctioneer of expensive works of art. It's not necessary but we were hamming it up pretty good and everyone got a kick out of us making fools of ourselves.

After the first two seasons I realized something. I still had no idea what the best strategy was for the game. Like I said earlier, we are more of a straight card game kind of group so this bidding thing was pretty new to us. I usually pick up on a wining strategy for a game early on but I was stymied by this. I could see other people were having the same problem. More than once I saw someone bid for a painting that "at best" would have them losing 1,000 dollars. Obviosuly others were even more lost than I but it didn't hamper the enjoyment of the game.

Only two or three times did I have to stop the game to check the rules on a question that came up and each time the rule was found quickly.
I was impressed by the boards, cards and chips. This is really a complete game. I can see why it is near the top 20 rated games on the site.

My Dad and I were obviosuly doing the best of the group. I tended to sell my paintings to the others for a nice profit and he was collecting paintings that were going up in value and we never got stuck with an artist out of the top 3. The same couldn't be said for the others in the group.

The final tally had my Dad winning with over 400,000. I finished second with about 380,000 and the three ladies coming in a distant 3-5 with under 200,000 each. I'm still not sure if my Gram, Aunt or sister really understand the game but I know they had a fun time playing.

I will certainly try to pull this game out again with family or close friends because it's just too much fun and because I'm really looking forward to figuring out a winning strategy.

10/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ritter
United States
Westfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bring this over next game night. the kid will probably want to try it out. plus i'm sure she'll get a kick out of you 'hamming' it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.