Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a novice to Car Wars who purchased the Car Wars Classic reprint, what type of information do you want to see on the Web, in addition to the Car Wars digital products on Warehouse 23, to help you get more enjoyment Car Wars Classic?

What can veteran players do for you and other novices to Car Wars to help you better understand Car Wars Classic and have more fun playing the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:
If you are a novice to Car Wars who purchased the Car Wars Classic reprint, what type of information do you want to see on the Web, in addition to the Car Wars digital products on Warehouse 23, to help you get more enjoyment Car Wars Classic?

I think anyone completely new to Car Wars Classic should avoid most of the PDFs that are available. Road sections, arenas, and the City Blocks are all certainly fine. I just worry someone new will get quickly overwhelmed if they try and pile a lot onto Car Wars Classic before getting experience with the game.

IF fans of Car Wars Classic want to help out then I would suggest very short blog posts and BGG posts that offer _tiny_ bits of advice. Someone writing something like "9 Ways to Play Using Only the Bits Inside Car Wars Classic" would be a great resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What, you don't like "end all be all" monster posts...?

9 Ways to Play Using Only the Bits Inside Car Wars Classic

Hmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:
What, you don't like "end all be all" monster posts...?

I don't like posts that overwhelm someone new.

Something I constantly have to remind myself: Not everyone was there buying/absorbing each new Car Wars supplement as they were released. I still remember the excitement of a new issue of ADQ; someone new to the game can quickly get buried in suggestions and information that drives them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would encourage newbies to play a few games, then create a few designs and play those in a few games then try and figure out how you want to proceed. Do you want to run a league, fight for a city or just design and fight (on the roads, in a city or in an arena.

I always liked to just decide on a dollar value/team size, create a vehicle or two and have at it in an arena. I never worried about the "role-playing" aspect, so any one of the arena packs would do for me. Of course, back when I was playing there were no arena packs or even ADQ but I did have access to rolls of 4 and 8 rule to the inch drafting paper and I still have a few of those hand drawn arenas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a tutorial video or play through video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Marsh
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A tutorial video would be greatly appreciated!! Short blog posts could also be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Personally, I'd enjoy some info on what is a good starting cost for scratch built cars for quick learning games.

I'd also love to see some more review sheets with not only the crash table, and the speed chart, but with examples of the different maneuvers as well - just to remind us newer players of what exactly our cars can do during a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
C7hulhu wrote:
Personally, I'd enjoy some info on what is a good starting cost for scratch built cars for quick learning games.

I'd also love to see some more review sheets with not only the crash table, and the speed chart, but with examples of the different maneuvers as well - just to remind us newer players of what exactly our cars can do during a fight.

A good starting game really is division 5. That is, Cars and Cycles under $5000.

Amateur Night is often "division 3" or "division 4"... but those $3000 beasties are pretty wussie, and strain the limits of the design system. Division 4 is still a bit low. The standard Amateur Night vehicles are the Killer Kart ($3848), or for cyclists, the Shogun 100 ($3120) (Usually with Body Armor, and a few grenades).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
I don't like posts that overwhelm someone new.

Hey, Phil.

Try this one:

Bloodsport Indemnification, Waiver and Consent Agreement

This is my long time Car Wars opponent's trick for explaining to new players the basic premise of the game as quickly as possible.

In a move similar to the "feelies" that came with the old Infocom games, he printed these out and had the players sign them for his last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.