Subject: Coloretto is fast becoming a family favorite rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never heard of this game until I saw some people playing it at my local boardgame club.
I picked it up recently and I'm glad I did.

I introduced the game to my family and they seem to have taken to it quite well. It's actally one of the few games that they will request. Usually I have to suggest something myself and get it on the table but not this one.

We usually play 3 or 4 players which seems to be the recommended amount for this game. If anyone feels that the game is better with 5 please let me know why. I'm hesitant to try it and ruin the great run of 3-4 players games that we have been having.

One of the best things about the game is that you play through the deck and score 4 times. Rarely will the player who makes a big score on one round win the game. Usually the player who goes for an average score all four rounds ekes out a win and this session was no different.

Everyone gets one different color card to start.
I mention this rule because the first few times we played I had not realized this and we always started with no cards at the beginning.
I like having the one card there as it gives everyone a starting point that no one else has and obviously it improves the game. Why else would the rule be there?

Gram started the game off and she had an unbelievable first round. 42 points compared to my 34, my sister's 33 and my dad's 32. I was feeding her cards so I was going to be certain that she would not fair so well in the second round and I think I may have been too good at my task.

She only scored 18 points. that's one of the lowest rounds I've seen in the game. Anything under 25 I am not happy with. My strategy is to shoot for the 6 of a kind as soon as possible. Usually it comes in the last round and I'll stick it out to the last card if I have to. Of course you have to watch what everyone else has. Don't expect to get 6 green if two other people are using green as one of their 3 main colors as well. If I can get the 21 point score for 6 colors the other 2 colors and the +2 cards will usually pull me over 30 and that's just what happened in the second round. I scored 36 to my sister's 30 but my dad scored 38. Putting us in a tie at 70. My Gram who was 8 points in the lead after the first round was now 10 points in the hole and in last with 60. My sister had 63.

I then turned my attention to my father in the third round. He was sitting across from me which made it a bit harder to sabotage his picks but I did my best. My sister wound up winning the third round with 35 points. I had outscored my Dad with 33 to his 31 which gave me a 2 point lead after 3 rounds. Gram had more trouble but not as bad as round 2 and she scored 27.

I had the 2 point lead going into roud 4 and my sister had managed to pull within 5. This really was anybody's game. I find that most of the games go into round 4 as a nailbiter. My hats off to the game's designers.

I wasn't extremely happy with my cards midway through the last round. I had 3 each of my main 3 colors and one off color. I needed a juicy row but I didn't think my dad or sister would give me one.
Then my Gram took a row. My dad put the third card down on the second of the three remaining rows. Neither of them had particularly good cards for any of us but the third row had a lone wild card.
My sister feeling that the full rows wasn't going to help anyone decided to pull a card and put it on the wild row. I suppose in the hopes that it would come around back to her with the wild and one more card on it but the card she pulled was a SECOND WILD! She had no choice but to lay the wild on top of the other wild and I quickly grabbed that stack. That was pretty much the end of the game right there. The next round was the last round and all I needed was one of my three colors to hit the 6 of a kind that I wanted (thanks to my 2 wilds). I managed to get one without taking too many negative points and the final total was as follows...

My sister's bad play had cost her the game and she only scored 22 points in that last round. My Gram had a good round since I was setting her up for good picks to get rid of the cards I didn't want and she scored 33 putting herself and my sister in a tie for third with 120.
My Dad also wasn't able to get anything going in the last round and he scored 22 points to put him at 123 and second place. I managed to get 33 points (again thanks to those 2 wilds) and finished with 136.

I'm going to continue with the 6 card strategy until it fails me. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this in a big order, but I have not opened it.....

Looks like i'll have to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game optimizes at 4 players, with 3 being almost as good. It sort of peters out at 5 - usually 3 players going for the same colors - tends to wash them out. That's my $.02. The 2-player variant gets fairly agressive, but it's fun with the right player.

-JL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.